[News] Compiz Does Increase Productivity in the GNU/Linux Desktop - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Compiz Does Increase Productivity in the GNU/Linux Desktop - Linux ; Five Compiz features to boost Linux productivity ,----[ Quote ] | The cube is perhaps the most hyped feature of the 3D desktop. And, | surprisingly, I found that once you actually start using it Cube is actually | quite ...

  1. [News] Compiz Does Increase Productivity in the GNU/Linux Desktop

    Five Compiz features to boost Linux productivity

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The cube is perhaps the most hyped feature of the 3D desktop. And,
    | surprisingly, I found that once you actually start using it Cube is actually
    | quite useful, and not just flashy. When cube is enabled you can use the
    | Ctrl-Alt key combination together with mouse to rotate the cube and display
    | all the desktops you have active. It is remarkably easy to use and actually
    | makes it easier to switch through desktops rapidly.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2006

    Related:

    Shelf Plugin preview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’ve been working on a new Compiz Fusion plugin currently known as Shelf (it
    | was named miniwin2 for a brief period, more on this further down). This is a
    | fairly straight forward idea, and I’m doing this as a bounty for Canonical.
    `----

    http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~kristi...lugin-preview/

    How Beryl/XGL and Deskbar simplified my life

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I removed the standard Gnome Window List in favor of
    | Beryl's Scale plugin. Beryl's Scale functionality
    | resembles OSX's Expose functionality. Because the Scale
    | plugin displays all the windows currently open and
    | unminimized at a keypress, I can quickly find the
    | window I want visually and select it either with
    | the mouse or with the arrow keys.
    `----

    http://eric.themoritzfamily.com/2006...ified-my-life/
    http://tinyurl.com/u2g3d

    Katapulting away from the menu.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Katapult not only does programs it also does your browser bookmarks as well.
    | Not just Konqueror but Firefox too. Just slingshot katapult into action with
    | the changable key combination and start typing the name of your desired
    | bookmark. Katapult again does its autocomplete magic and brings up your
    | closest matching browser bookmark. * *
    `----

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...the-menu-21321

    Launch your programs faster with Katapult

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the biggest navigational issues with any operating system is
    | using program menus. Windows users have to open the Start Menu, scan
    | for the program, realize that the program is probably in the subfolder
    | under the programmer?s name, scan the appropriate subfolder, and then
    | click on the program?s icon. Macintosh users must open Finder, find
    | and click on the Applications folder, and then search for the
    | program's name. GNOME and KDE users have an advantage: they have
    | categories in their respective Applications and K menus.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/katapult

    Analyst slams Vista's 'backward' UI

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows Vista is a step back in usability, researcher claims
    `----

    http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...S&newsID=17334

    Vista: Slow and Dangerous

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The most exasperating thing about Vista, though, is the security
    | feature called User Account Control. UAC, satirized in an Apple
    | ad as a security guy who constantly interrupts a conversation,
    | appears as a pop-up asking permission before Windows...
    `----

    http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/Busine.../03/26/3124001

    Freely rotate windows. New plugin I found *October 22, 2007

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I found this great new plugin which allows you to freely rotate windows in
    | any direction that you want. It is called ‘freewins’
    `----

    http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2007/.../#comment-1830

    Productivity Cubed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | During a recent podcast appearance with Senors Asay, Rosenberg, and Vance,
    | Canonical’s Mark Shuttleworth discussed the 3D desktop capabilities offered
    | in the latest iteration of Ubuntu, Gutsy Gibbon. Given that I’ve been using
    | Gutsy for a few months, and using said 3D functionality off and on I had a
    | special interest in his comments. Among other things, he expressed his hope
    | that the various communities that provide and consume the functionality would
    | seek ways to apply the new capabilities to the task of making the user more
    | productive. * * *
    `----

    http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2007/10/1...ctivity-cubed/

    howto enhance your workflow with beryl

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Problem is, I spread my applications across all 4 desktops, so
    | that things feel uncluttered when I'm working on an application.
    | However, when you want to keep an eye on several applications at
    | a time, it's impossible - except, if you have beryl. What I do
    | is set one of the corners of my desktop to activate the scale
    | plugin to show all windows from all desktops (see here for a
    | more detailed explanation). I also make sure that it shows
    | minimised windows.
    `----

    http://www.liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=101

  2. Re: [News] Compiz Does Increase Productivity in the GNU/Linux Desktop

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Five Compiz features to boost Linux productivity
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The cube is perhaps the most hyped feature of the 3D desktop. And,
    >| surprisingly, I found that once you actually start using it Cube is actually
    >| quite useful, and not just flashy. When cube is enabled you can use the
    >| Ctrl-Alt key combination together with mouse to rotate the cube and display
    >| all the desktops you have active. It is remarkably easy to use and actually
    >| makes it easier to switch through desktops rapidly.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2006

    Interesting - I tend to regard most UI decoration as useless distraction
    once out of the shop, but perhaps this is actually valuable beyond
    the showroom.

  3. Re: [News] Compiz Does Increase Productivity in the GNU/Linux Desktop

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 12:44 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Five Compiz features to boost Linux productivity
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The cube is perhaps the most hyped feature of the 3D desktop. And,
    >>| surprisingly, I found that once you actually start using it Cube is
    >>| actually quite useful, and not just flashy. When cube is enabled you can
    >>| use the Ctrl-Alt key combination together with mouse to rotate the cube and
    >>| display all the desktops you have active. It is remarkably easy to use and
    >>| actually makes it easier to switch through desktops rapidly.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2006
    >>

    > Interesting - I tend to regard most UI decoration as useless distraction
    > once out of the shop, but perhaps this is actually valuable beyond
    > the showroom.

    It depends which ones you are using and what you are used to. I don't have a
    GPU at home, but Compiz worked out of the box and it's incompatible with what
    I'm _used_ to. Many people face the same experience when moving from
    GNOME<->KDE<->Windows<->OS X. It's a matter of habits, orientation, mastering
    all the pertinent new features (e.g. will a Windows user make use of virtual
    desktops at all or will s/he just minimise and restore instead?).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's
    14:05:02 up 36 days, 2:53, 4 users, load average: 1.44, 1.78, 1.99

  4. Re: [News] Compiz Does Increase Productivity in the GNU/Linux Desktop

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 12:44 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Five Compiz features to boost Linux productivity
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2006
    >>>

    >> Interesting - I tend to regard most UI decoration as useless distraction
    >> once out of the shop, but perhaps this is actually valuable beyond
    >> the showroom.

    > It depends which ones you are using and what you are used to. I don't have a
    > GPU at home, but Compiz worked out of the box and it's incompatible with what
    > I'm _used_ to. Many people face the same experience when moving from
    > GNOME<->KDE<->Windows<->OS X. It's a matter of habits, orientation, mastering
    > all the pertinent new features (e.g. will a Windows user make use of virtual
    > desktops at all or will s/he just minimise and restore instead?).

    Fair point. Personally, I remain a console person deep down, as I can
    touch-type, so I don't really like to move my hands from the keyboard
    unless I really have to. I could do with something like the old toshiba
    j-mouse, which was brilliant for touch-typists, but most people (who
    can't) hated it.