[News] Microsoft Already Uses Novell and XenSource Hijacks to Exclude Other Distros from Market - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Already Uses Novell and XenSource Hijacks to Exclude Other Distros from Market - Linux ; Microsoft’s virtualization hypervisor needs Red Hat support, too ,----[ Quote ] | With efforts such as the interoperability lab, Microsoft is reinforcing | its promise that when its hypervisor actually ships — now slated for late | 2008 — Novell’s ...

  1. [News] Microsoft Already Uses Novell and XenSource Hijacks to Exclude Other Distros from Market

    Microsoft’s virtualization hypervisor needs Red Hat support, too

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With efforts such as the interoperability lab, Microsoft is reinforcing
    | its promise that when its hypervisor actually ships — now slated for late
    | 2008 — Novell’s SLES-based virtual machines will sing nicely on the
    | Windows server platform.
    |
    | That’s not all. On Sept 12, Microsoft and Sun also announced an expansion
    | of their alliance in which the two companies will ensure that Sun’s
    | Solaris VMs runs well on Windows and Windows runs well in a virtualized
    | state on Solaris.
    |
    | But what about Red Hat’s Xen-based virtual machines?
    |
    | The competitive standoff with Red Hat notwithstanding, Microsoft must
    | realize by now that unless it extends the same level of compatibility to
    | Red Hat Enterprise Linux and all other Linux distributions on its
    | hypervisor that this gesture at interoperability is meaningless.
    |
    | Microsoft’s alliance with XenSource once provided some measure of
    | confidence that Red Hat would run as well on Viridian as Novell’s Linux.
    | But Citrix’s planned acquisition of the open source XenSource calls that
    | into question.
    |
    | Citrix is one of Microsoft’s closest longtime allies in the proprietary
    | software world and to date has not participated in the open source
    | market. As Microsoft announced the planned release of the Viridian CTP
    | yesterday at VMWorld, for example, it also unveiled an extended
    | virtualization alliance with Citrix to standardize on Microsoft’s Virtual
    | Hard Disk Format as a common run-time environment for virtualized
    | operating systems and applications. That’s not surprising, given
    | Microsoft’s former agreement with XenSource on VHD.
    |
    | But the tightening triumverate of Microsoft, Novell and Citrix — three
    | longtime proprietary software companies cooperating on virtualization
    | technology — makes more than a few open source advocates and customers
    | uneasy.
    |
    | And the agreement with Sun on Wednesday — ensuring Solaris Linux runs
    | well on Windows virtualization hypervisor — leaves Red Hat alone in the
    | cold.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1415

    SWsoft buys virtualization automation console from Ensim

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Operating system virtualization company SWsoft announced on Tuesday that it
    | has acquired Ensim's software automation business.
    `----

    SUSE/VMWare gets 'optimised'...

    Novell Boosts Linux Virtualization with VMware Support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To deliver this improved performance, Novell modified the SUSE Linux
    | Enterprise kernel to support the VMware Virtual Machine Interface (VMI), a
    | communication mechanism between the guest operating system and hypervisor
    | that simplifies the task of virtualization and makes Linux a more efficient
    | guest operating system when running in VMware environments.
    `----

    http://www.examiner.com/p-40066~Nove...e_Support.html

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Already Uses Novell and XenSource Hijacks to Exclude Other Distros from Market

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft’s virtualization hypervisor needs Red Hat support, too
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | With efforts such as the interoperability lab, Microsoft is
    > | reinforcing its promise that when its hypervisor actually ships —
    > | now slated for late 2008 — Novell’s SLES-based virtual machines will
    > | sing nicely on the Windows server platform.
    > |
    > | That’s not all. On Sept 12, Microsoft and Sun also announced an
    > | expansion of their alliance in which the two companies will ensure
    > | that Sun’s Solaris VMs runs well on Windows and Windows runs well in
    > | a virtualized state on Solaris.

    There has to be some two-way work for these things. But actually as Xen
    based VM is much more likely to reach a point where any OS can sit as a VM,
    already having good guest coverage, then MS may be digging themselves a pit
    and finding they are few people willing to sit in there with them.

    If you go to the trouble of ensuring your OS is VM complient, then you want
    it to be able to sit on as many platforms as possible without the need for
    extra work or multiple products. For that Xen based systems are much more
    likely to be the target.

    I know it is a long way off before I get your socks, but still, I bet you
    both socks that in time MS will be forced to eat humble pie and make what
    ever OS they are up to at the time VM complient.

    VM will not go away, we will all be sitting on VM'ed OS's (partial or full)
    eventually. MS have to play the game or they will lose out.

+ Reply to Thread