[News] More Great News for PS3 Linux, Linux Gaming - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] More Great News for PS3 Linux, Linux Gaming - Linux ; PS3 production cost halved ,----[ Quote ] | While the Playstation 3 cost Sony somewhere around $800 a console to build | when it was launched in November 2006, Sony has told Business Week that the | PS3 now costs ...

  1. [News] More Great News for PS3 Linux, Linux Gaming

    PS3 production cost halved

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While the Playstation 3 cost Sony somewhere around $800 a console to build
    | when it was launched in November 2006, Sony has told Business Week that the
    | PS3 now costs about $400 to produce - which is similar to the RRP of the new
    | 40GB SKU.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...on-cost-halved

    The new service that enables PS3 Linux to stream games over the network makes
    _a lot_ of headlines at the moment. It will give a huge boost to PS3 Linux
    (Ubuntu/YDL) and the impending defeat of HD DVD will also make Blu-Ray
    attractive. This cost advantage is yet another winner. More for Linux gaming:

    Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is a hard-core, multiplayer, first-person shooter
    | that will run natively on the Linux operating system. Built off a modified
    | Doom III Engine, Quake Wars was released late 2007, and it is the favorite
    | game of the LinuxHow2 crowd. In the following review, we will show some
    | screenshots, share our thoughts, and give you a few tips on installing this
    | game on your favorite Linux distro.
    `----

    http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Article...uake_Wars.html

    Earlier today:

    StreamMyGame launches Linux player ; Play PC games on your PS3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | StreamMyGame.com announced today the release of its free Linux Player, an
    | application that enables you to play any PC game via a PlayStation 3 running
    | Linux.
    `----

    http://www.kdcstaffs.com/it/main_vie...part=Real-Time

    Related:

    Games shared from PC to PS3 over the Web?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We will release a Linux version in Q4 2007 which will enable PC games to be
    | played on the PlayStation 3 and many other devices including DVD players, set
    | top boxes, networked media devices and mobile phones," he said. *
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15045/1063/

    The State of the Linux Gaming Industry

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When I read reports on the Linux gaming industry, I can't help but wonder
    | where the Linux gamers are at? Can we find them on the Nintendo Wii or
    | perhaps the Playstation 3 (PS3)? After all, I have heard that PS3 actually
    | works rather well with Yellow Dog Linux. * *
    `----

    http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8047

    UT3 Linux: It Will Ship When It's Ready

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While Unreal Tournament 3 will ship on November 19 for Windows gamers, and we
    | previously confirmed that the Linux binary will not ship on the DVD, *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjE1Mw

    Free Games for Linux

    ..----[ Quote ]
    | A round-up of fun Linux diversions.
    |
    | When people talk about computer gaming these days, they
    | invariably mean commercial games running on a Windows platform. Few
    | people realize that Linux can be more than just a very good Web or
    | file server. Even fewer people are aware of the many open-source or
    | otherwise freely available games available for Linux.
    `----

    http://www2.linuxjournal.com/node/1000435

  2. Re: [News] More Great News for PS3 Linux, Linux Gaming

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > PS3 production cost halved
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| While the Playstation 3 cost Sony somewhere around $800 a console to build
    >| when it was launched in November 2006, Sony has told Business Week that the
    >| PS3 now costs about $400 to produce - which is similar to the RRP of the new
    >| 40GB SKU.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...on-cost-halved
    >
    > The new service that enables PS3 Linux to stream games over the network makes
    > _a lot_ of headlines at the moment. It will give a huge boost to PS3 Linux
    > (Ubuntu/YDL) and the impending defeat of HD DVD will also make Blu-Ray
    > attractive. This cost advantage is yet another winner. More for Linux gaming:

    Production economics... (reflected sound of underground spirits?)

  3. Re: [News] More Great News for PS3 Linux, Linux Gaming

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 16:29 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> PS3 production cost halved
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| While the Playstation 3 cost Sony somewhere around $800 a console to build
    >>| when it was launched in November 2006, Sony has told Business Week that the
    >>| PS3 now costs about $400 to produce - which is similar to the RRP of the
    >>| new 40GB SKU.
    >> `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...on-cost-halved

    >> The new service that enables PS3 Linux to stream games over the network
    >> makes _a lot_ of headlines at the moment. It will give a huge boost to PS3
    >> Linux (Ubuntu/YDL) and the impending defeat of HD DVD will also make Blu-Ray
    >> attractive. This cost advantage is yet another winner. More for Linux
    >> gaming:
    >>

    > Production economics... (reflected sound of underground spirits?)

    This estimate came from an analyst (this was covered in The Reg). Perhaps Sony
    enjoyed the public perception that there was a huge bargain there and that
    Sony was suffering (tolerating a loss) for the sake of its customers. Let's
    see how it gains momentum when Blu-ray becomes the ONE AND ONLY standard and
    gaming over the network (with Linux) gets exposure through use.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good."
    --Bill Gates, Microsoft

+ Reply to Thread