[News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified - Linux ; ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 17 January 2008 11:32 : \____ > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > >> I hear there are many vacancies for high roles at Microsoft. The top >> staff has been ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 92 of 92

  1. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    http://www.cio.com/article/158551/Ou...Bean_Whitaker_

    > Will we ever know, I wonder?

    Whatever he did, I assure you it was serious. Microsoft is losing tons of
    senior staff at the moment (it even brings people _FROM THE OUTSIDE_ to fill
    voids). It won't just throw out veterans with experience unless there was some
    criminal s*** that would destroy the company's reputation (or the company).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz \ Spread Mozilla Firefox.
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

  2. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 January 2008 10:59 : \____

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected...0/dlbbc120.xml

    >>> Ahh, sneaky, he got a prole to lie for him. Nasty b*gger. Considering
    >>> that he's the DG of the BBC, and has been brought to talk about the
    >>> Silverlight/iPlayer, it's truly incredible that he doesn't have the
    >>> figures to hand, wouldn't you say? The guy should be looking for
    >>> another role.

    >> I hear there are many vacancies for high roles at Microsoft. The top staff
    >> has been quitting the company since the year began and I can't help
    >> wondering if this has something to do with the seemingly-infinite OOXML
    >> corruptions, the recent briberies, the stock buybacks, and the VP's illegal
    >> inside-trading activity, not to mention closure of two branches worldwide
    >> for alleged fraud and antitrust litigations in the EU.
    >>
    >> Oh, I went off topic there. Anyway, my point was that the DG might find
    >> those vacancies at Microsoft interesting.
    >>

    > I suspect that there are a few folk at the BBC, National Archives,
    > British Library and so on who would relish such a role.

    '"Unless there is a serious updating of copyright law to recognize the changing
    technological environment, the law becomes an ass," Lynne Brindley, chief
    executive of the British Library, told ZDNet UK.'

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6119043.html

    'The British Library has created an updated version of its application
    called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of its 150
    million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how this works better
    using Vista.'

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
    Tasks: 165 total, 1 running, 162 sleeping, 0 stopped, 2 zombie

  3. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    I have plenty of common sense, I just choose to ignore it.
    --- Calvin

  4. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    Do I LOOK like a damn people person?

  5. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    Mark Kent wrote:

    >Linonut espoused:
    >>
    >> Well, at least with Windows Home Server they don't call 'em "Service
    >> Packs" any more.
    >>
    >> They call 'em "Power Packs".

    >When all else fails, there's always the marketing man...

    And the lobbyist man...

  6. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    Jim Richardson espoused:

    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:44:07 +0000,
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Linonut espoused:
    >>> * Gordon peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Well, at least with Windows Home Server they don't call 'em "Service
    >>> Packs" any more.
    >>>
    >>> They call 'em "Power Packs".
    >>>

    >> When all else fails, there's always the marketing man...
    >>

    > WHS has been a bit of a black eye for MS lately, maybe they want to
    > distract from the "don't use this machine for storing important data you
    > plan on getting back" bit.

    I think that the Excito chaps in Sweden could do themselves, and
    probably the rest of the planet, a huge favour by marketing their
    offering just a little harder.

    It does pretty much everything the WHS does, but in a tiny package, uses
    amazingly low power, and also has the mediatomb upnp a/v server on board
    as well. This works with the Mac's iPlayer as well as the Sony PS3, and
    the Nokia 770/800, too.

    I've got my mythtv box set up so that it downcodes whatever it records
    into a medium-sized DIVX but also into a tiny format suitable for my
    N800, the kids' GP2Xs and Mrs Mark's Archos 504. It stores these
    recodes directly onto the bubba excito box which then can distribute
    them anywhere else, including over the internet to wherever else I might
    be (by sftp, not udp...).

    I can't really see what WHS has that isn't done better and less
    expensively and more resiliently and more securely by other devices.

    No wonder Power Packs are important :-)

  7. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    So anyway, it was like, 17:48 CET Jan 17 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Roy Schestowitz was all like, "Dude,
    > ____/ Johan Lindquist on Thursday 17 January 2008 10:22 : \____
    >> So anyway, it was like, 10:36 CET Jan 17 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> Roy Schestowitz was all like, "Dude,

    >>> This is a pro-Linux newsgroup.

    >> Where does it actually, explicitly, say that it is?
    >>
    >>> If someone is here to defend Windows most of the time, become
    >>> suspicious.

    >> And who, pray tell, should one discuss the benefits of linux as
    >> compared to other operating systems with, if someone who likes
    >> another os better is labeled as "suspicious"? Isn't the basis for
    >> actual debate that you have opposing views on the subject at hand?
    >>
    >> Is it really just a place where people can sit around and agree on
    >> how good linux is you're after? I don't believe this group is the
    >> place you want, in that case.

    > The way you put this sounds reasonable,

    Thanks for that sentiment.

    > but think about posters who come here to say that person X is
    > castrating bodyparts and person Y is a 'fruit'. Then, come to
    > consider that many people come here not to criticise Linux but to
    > /ATTACK/ it. That's no debate, unless we all live in a cave.

    None of that has anything to do with the operating system the person
    uses or prefers, it's just that some people like to be hostile toward
    others. Did you know, there are complete assholes that run both linux
    and *gasp* bsd!?!

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    09:20:06 up 6 days, 15:58, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.05, 0.00

  8. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    ____/ Johan Lindquist on Friday 18 January 2008 08:23 : \____

    > So anyway, it was like, 17:48 CET Jan 17 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    > Roy Schestowitz was all like, "Dude,
    >> ____/ Johan Lindquist on Thursday 17 January 2008 10:22 : \____
    >>> So anyway, it was like, 10:36 CET Jan 17 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >>> Roy Schestowitz was all like, "Dude,

    >>> Where does it actually, explicitly, say that it is?

    >>> And who, pray tell, should one discuss the benefits of linux as
    >>> compared to other operating systems with, if someone who likes
    >>> another os better is labeled as "suspicious"? Isn't the basis for
    >>> actual debate that you have opposing views on the subject at hand?
    >>>
    >>> Is it really just a place where people can sit around and agree on
    >>> how good linux is you're after? I don't believe this group is the
    >>> place you want, in that case.

    >> The way you put this sounds reasonable,

    > Thanks for that sentiment.
    >
    >> but think about posters who come here to say that person X is
    >> castrating bodyparts and person Y is a 'fruit'. Then, come to
    >> consider that many people come here not to criticise Linux but to
    >> /ATTACK/ it. That's no debate, unless we all live in a cave.

    > None of that has anything to do with the operating system the person
    > uses or prefers, it's just that some people like to be hostile toward
    > others. Did you know, there are complete assholes that run both linux
    > and *gasp* bsd!?!

    ....and Macs. Well, the proportion of arseholes *does* vary depending on
    platforms if you take the average over some population. For instance, there
    has just been a publication of a survey which shows Mac users are... well,
    smug ("feeling superior, more liberal, etc.").

    Anyway, Kier is not a troll, but he does tend to feed the trolls more than he
    ought to. And when I say "trolls" in this content what I mean to say is that
    he talks to people who talk about people, not computers. Replace "talk"
    with "attack". There is no reason to feed the scummy ones because by doing so
    you're encouraging more of that and keeping them around.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Charity: compensating for a broken system rather than actually fixing it

  9. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Johan Lindquist on Friday 18 January 2008 08:23 : \____
    >
    >> So anyway, it was like, 17:48 CET Jan 17 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> Roy Schestowitz was all like, "Dude,
    >>> ____/ Johan Lindquist on Thursday 17 January 2008 10:22 : \____

    >>> The way you put this sounds reasonable,

    >> Thanks for that sentiment.
    >>
    >>> but think about posters who come here to say that person X is
    >>> castrating bodyparts and person Y is a 'fruit'. Then, come to
    >>> consider that many people come here not to criticise Linux but to
    >>> /ATTACK/ it. That's no debate, unless we all live in a cave.

    >> None of that has anything to do with the operating system the person
    >> uses or prefers, it's just that some people like to be hostile toward
    >> others. Did you know, there are complete assholes that run both linux
    >> and *gasp* bsd!?!

    > ...and Macs. Well, the proportion of arseholes *does* vary depending on
    > platforms if you take the average over some population. For instance, there
    > has just been a publication of a survey which shows Mac users are... well,
    > smug ("feeling superior, more liberal, etc.").
    >
    > Anyway, Kier is not a troll, but he does tend to feed the trolls more than he
    > ought to. And when I say "trolls" in this content what I mean to say is that
    > he talks to people who talk about people, not computers. Replace "talk"
    > with "attack". There is no reason to feed the scummy ones because by doing so
    > you're encouraging more of that and keeping them around.

    Kier does troll, Roy. In response to my simple question about the BBC
    he was very abusive. That *is* trolling.

  10. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    So anyway, it was like, 09:42 CET Jan 18 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Roy Schestowitz was all like, "Dude,
    > ____/ Johan Lindquist on Friday 18 January 2008 08:23 : \____
    >> So anyway, it was like, 17:48 CET Jan 17 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> Roy Schestowitz was all like, "Dude,
    >>> ____/ Johan Lindquist on Thursday 17 January 2008 10:22 : \____

    >>> The way you put this sounds reasonable,

    >> Thanks for that sentiment.
    >>
    >>> but think about posters who come here to say that person X is
    >>> castrating bodyparts and person Y is a 'fruit'. Then, come to
    >>> consider that many people come here not to criticise Linux but to
    >>> /ATTACK/ it. That's no debate, unless we all live in a cave.

    >> None of that has anything to do with the operating system the
    >> person uses or prefers, it's just that some people like to be
    >> hostile toward others. Did you know, there are complete assholes
    >> that run both linux and *gasp* bsd!?!

    > ...and Macs. Well, the proportion of arseholes *does* vary depending
    > on platforms if you take the average over some population. For
    > instance, there has just been a publication of a survey which shows
    > Mac users are... well, smug ("feeling superior, more liberal,
    > etc.").

    Sounds like about the same feeling you get from many open source
    advocates and windows users. Hm. Weird, that. Anyhow..

    > Anyway, Kier is not a troll, but [..]

    You seem to have the same problem as mr. Köhlmann, which is focusing
    on people in particular when the question was about operating system
    preferences in general.

    > There is no reason to feed the scummy ones because by doing so
    > you're encouraging more of that and keeping them around.

    I'm not talking about feeding anyone, how about sticking to the
    subject of labelling windows advocates and/or users as suspicious
    by default?

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    10:06:31 up 6 days, 16:44, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.08, 0.04

  11. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    Mark Kent wrote:

    < snip >

    > Kier does troll, Roy. In response to my simple question about the BBC
    > he was very abusive. That *is* trolling.

    You mean, you get to attack anyone with your bull**** and then wonder why
    people get angry about you tosser? "Simple question" my ass

    Mark, you are a vile asshole. Nothing less
    --
    You're not my type. For that matter, you're not even my species

  12. Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:09:49 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >> Anyway, Kier is not a troll, but he does tend to feed the trolls more than he
    >> ought to. And when I say "trolls" in this content what I mean to say is that
    >> he talks to people who talk about people, not computers. Replace "talk"
    >> with "attack". There is no reason to feed the scummy ones because by doing so
    >> you're encouraging more of that and keeping them around.
    >>

    > Kier does troll, Roy. In response to my simple question about the BBC
    > he was very abusive. That *is* trolling.

    I do not troll. I will admit at times to feeding the little buggers (which
    I ought not to, but frankly, these days it's a lot more amusing than
    reading endless waffle about the 'MSBBC').

    And your question was *not* a simple one. It implied I had some ulterior
    motive for questioning what was being posted about the BBC.

    --
    Kier

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5