CES - Slouching toward Convergence 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Small computing devices are often ultramobile PCs (UMPCs), a term marketed by
| Microsoft, but vendors use a variety of terms.
|
| Intel was showing off prototypes of UMPCs based on its upcoming Menlow chips.
| A Lenovo device was running Red Flag Linux OS, and sported a 4.8-inch touch
| screen as well as a camera. Other devices at the booth included small
| handheld PCs with touchscreens, from Toshiba and Clarion.
`----

Related:

Whatever Happened To The Origami?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately Origami is a classic example of how a viral buzz can
| work against a product release. Expectations were too high and the
| final product was puzzling and didn't fulfill any specific consumer
| demand. By the time the systems were actually released the hype had
| died down and there was practically zero consumer awareness. I've
| actually considered the possibility that the viral Origami campaign
| was a warm-up for the Zune campaign that followed later in the summer.
`----

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics...o-the-origami/

Microsoft Kills Origami, Presents Vistagami

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., the pioneer behind the Ultra Mobile PC movement
| (Origami), is more or less killing the original concept and
| coming up with a more upbeat version.
`----

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Special_..._200701302798/
http://tinyurl.com/2nhttc

Original 'Origami' team moves to a new secret project

,----[ Quote ]
| This "secret project" could be nothing more than a lot of hype --
| as was the "Origami Project" (which morphed into the
| less-than-well-received Ultramobile PCs).
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=234

Has Intel Given up on the UMPC as a Mass Market Device?

,----[ Quote ]
| I remember being struck by the idea that the device didn't quite know if
| it was a business or consumer tool, and at more than $1000, I couldn't
| see many people running out to buy one. Seems I was right (nice to be
| right once in a while). According to Gruener's article, Intel has
| decided to scrap the UMPC (or at least send it to the niche market
| pile) in favor a new mass-market device it's dubbing the Mobile
| Internet Device or MID (because we couldn't do this without
| another acronym).
`----

http://byronmiller.typepad.com/byron...is_ready_.html

Linux-powered Mobile Internet Device video walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The finalized product could obviously change ever-so-sightly between
| now and then, but regardless, be sure to click on through for an
| in-action look at Intel's Linux-based MID, and try not to become
| too envious, capiche?
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/05/l...o-walkthrough/

The UMPC dies. And no one notices.

,----[ Quote ]
| If Intel has its way, then what once was the mass market UMPC will
| morph into much smaller and less powerful "mobile Internet devices,"
| hort "MID".
|
| [...]
|
| There must have been a slight disconnect between Microsoft's
| marketing strategists and hardware and product designers.
| Neither the first nor the second generation of UMPCs came
| close to the expectations the initial marketing created.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31899/113/

UMPC News : New Linux distro for MIDs to be launched in May. Redflag
Mid Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/ne...hp?storyid=480