[News] Firefox Team Takes Desktop GNU/Linux Very Seriously - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Firefox Team Takes Desktop GNU/Linux Very Seriously - Linux ; The Fox And The Penguin ,----[ Quote ] | While I am aware that there have already been numerous blog posts about how | we are upping the ante for Firefox 3 for Linux, I'd like to take my own ...

  1. [News] Firefox Team Takes Desktop GNU/Linux Very Seriously

    The Fox And The Penguin

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While I am aware that there have already been numerous blog posts about how
    | we are upping the ante for Firefox 3 for Linux, I'd like to take my own turn.
    | I'm one of the people directly working on a lot of improvements to Firefox 3
    | especially on Linux and I would like to summarize in this post what I have
    | done personally that you can all look forward to for Firefox 3.
    |
    | So who the hell am I and why should you care? I am a paid intern for Mozilla
    | over my summer holidays (that's the southern hemisphere summer) and for the
    | duration of my work I chose to primarily work on a lot of Linux-specific
    | issues, as I am a Linux and Firefox user myself so I know that I can harvest
    | my own seeds. Of course, Linux users deserve the best for picking the best
    | platform (flamebait ;-) ) and I aim to at least do the best that I can for
    | the Firefox 3 release in the timeframe that we are given. I want to make sure
    | that the work I do and the other wonderful Linux contributors do are known so
    | that everyone can get the best experience out of Firefox 3 when the big
    | release day comes.
    `----

    http://ventnorsblog.blogspot.com/200...d-penguin.html

    Related:

    Firefox 3.0 Beta 2 Is A Win For Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mozilla has released the latest beta of Firefox 3 today, and the Linux
    | efforts behind it are starting to show even more. This release, being a beta,
    | is surprisingly stable. Here’s the killer that makes this beta release
    | amazing: true GTK support. ¬*
    `----

    http://fosswire.com/2007/12/20/firef...win-for-linux/

    Firefox 3: rocking on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few people have been noticing how good our support on Linux has gotten
    | during the Firefox 3 development cycle and I thought I would post to try and
    | point out some of the good stuff that we have coming down the pipe. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=325

    Personas from Mozilla Labs give Firefox a sleek coat

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I probably won't use Personas much myself since I greatly prefer the
    | unadulterated GTK look in Firefox 3, but the addon is very intriguing from a
    | technical standpoint. The way that Personas takes Firefox's Internet
    | capabilities and leverages theme to bring dynamic content to the Firefox ¬*
    | chrome layer is very creative and it reflects a lot of possibilities that I
    | had never previously considered. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...x-a-sleek-coat

    Update on the Firefox 3 Linux Theme

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Work on the new linux theme for Firefox 3 is progressing nicely due to a very
    | active group of contributers. To match the operating system’s theme,
    | Firefox‚Äôs navigation toolbar will use native GTK icons. ¬*
    `----

    http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007...3-linux-theme/

    Shop offers Firefoxers a discount

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He reckons Fireyferret users get, "a better overall experience when browsing
    | the internet. We want to reward people who take the next step and try the
    | browser for themselves." ¬*
    |
    | We reckon it's just a publicity stunt, so we've forgotten to mention the name
    | of the shop or provide a link.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...oxers-discount

  2. Re: [News] Firefox Team Takes Desktop GNU/Linux Very Seriously

    ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 12 January 2008 04:49 : \____

    >> The Fox And The Penguin
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | While I am aware that there have already been numerous blog posts
    >> | about how we are upping the ante for Firefox 3 for Linux, I'd like
    >> | to take my own turn.

    > There has indeed been a great deal of speculation about Mozilla Corp's
    > commitment to GNU/Linux, especially after the Thunderbird fire-sale.
    >
    > Let's hope they do live up to this recent hype.
    >
    > I'm also very curious about any possible changes to the MPL.

    One of the founders of Firefox was quite hostile towards me after citing some
    item where Mozilla is slagged off for distributing DRM prisons, aka iPods. He
    wasn't a fan of Linux, to say the very least. Then again, I don't think [m]any
    people in Mozilla care much about Free software. IOW, nothing has really
    changed and I doubt the changes at a managerial level will play a role. If
    somehow they do, then heck... there's always the IceWesel, which looks cuter
    anyway!

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
    09:20:01 up 32 days, 22:08, 4 users, load average: 0.59, 0.77, 1.13

  3. Re: [News] Firefox Team Takes Desktop GNU/Linux Very Seriously

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 12 January 2008 04:49 : \____

    >>> The Fox And The Penguin
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> There has indeed been a great deal of speculation about Mozilla Corp's
    >> commitment to GNU/Linux, especially after the Thunderbird fire-sale.
    >>
    >> Let's hope they do live up to this recent hype.
    >>
    >> I'm also very curious about any possible changes to the MPL.

    > One of the founders of Firefox was quite hostile towards me after citing some
    > item where Mozilla is slagged off for distributing DRM prisons, aka iPods. He
    > wasn't a fan of Linux, to say the very least. Then again, I don't think [m]any
    > people in Mozilla care much about Free software. IOW, nothing has really
    > changed and I doubt the changes at a managerial level will play a role. If
    > somehow they do, then heck... there's always the IceWesel, which looks cuter
    > anyway!

    If they're being hostile, though, it means you're having an impact.
    Change takes a long time, far longer than most people realise. Perhaps
    as long as it takes a generation of senior management to be replaced by
    the next generation.

  4. Re: [News] Firefox Team Takes Desktop GNU/Linux Very Seriously

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 13:11 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 12 January 2008 04:49 : \____

    >>> There has indeed been a great deal of speculation about Mozilla Corp's
    >>> commitment to GNU/Linux, especially after the Thunderbird fire-sale.
    >>>
    >>> Let's hope they do live up to this recent hype.
    >>>
    >>> I'm also very curious about any possible changes to the MPL.

    >> One of the founders of Firefox was quite hostile towards me after citing
    >> some item where Mozilla is slagged off for distributing DRM prisons, aka
    >> iPods. He wasn't a fan of Linux, to say the very least. Then again, I don't
    >> think [m]any people in Mozilla care much about Free software. IOW, nothing
    >> has really changed and I doubt the changes at a managerial level will play a
    >> role. If somehow they do, then heck... there's always the IceWesel, which
    >> looks cuter anyway!
    >>

    > If they're being hostile, though, it means you're having an impact.
    > Change takes a long time, far longer than most people realise. Perhaps
    > as long as it takes a generation of senior management to be replaced by
    > the next generation.

    He was a Mac user for all I could tell (Asa Dozler?), so he took offence in
    iPod criticism.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
    Tasks: 160 total, 1 running, 159 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie