[News] Eee PC Alternative Comes Without GNU/Ballux (Xandros + Ballmer Tax) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Eee PC Alternative Comes Without GNU/Ballux (Xandros + Ballmer Tax) - Linux ; CES: New Cloudbook joins Linux ultra-mobile fray ,----[ Quote ] | Otherwise, many of CloudBook's features are similar to those in the Eee, of | which more than 350,000 have been sold since fall. Like the current Eee, the | ...

  1. [News] Eee PC Alternative Comes Without GNU/Ballux (Xandros + Ballmer Tax)

    CES: New Cloudbook joins Linux ultra-mobile fray

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Otherwise, many of CloudBook's features are similar to those in the Eee, of
    | which more than 350,000 have been sold since fall. Like the current Eee, the
    | CloudBook is about 9 in. long and sports a 7-in. widescreen LCD screen with
    | 800 by 480 pixels. Its keyboard is similar in size to the Eee's.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9056678
    http://tinyurl.com/2pxy7w

    Eee PC gets 4 out of 5 in this new interview:

    Review: Asus EEE PC 701 4G notebook computer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A tiny, cheap notebook computer, but with Linux, not Windows
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/computeractive...-eee-pc-701-4g

    Related:

    Everex To Offer CloudBook Ultra-Mobile PC at Walmart

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everex has launched their much anticipated Ultra-Mobile PC featuring the
    | latest Open Source operating system from gOS.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/m...ile-pc-walmart

    Walmart Jumps on gOS Bandwagon: Here Comes "Rocket"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Look out Windows Vista and hot-selling Mac OS X Leopard -- a new OS is in
    | town. ¬*A new Linux distribution, gOS, produced by Good OS LLC and based on a
    | Ubuntu 7.10 version, hit the market yesterday when it was announced at the
    | Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.dailytech.com/Walmart+Jum...ticle10219.htm

    Everex Names ZaReason Authorized Reseller of $199 gPC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Most of the people who buy systems from us want some type of
    | customization," states ZaReason CEO, Cathy Malmrose. "Our entire R&D
    | department is driven by people asking for different components or unique
    | configurations. We anticipate this system will be purchased by Linux users
    | for their family and friends over the holidays."
    `----

    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4717232&EDATE=

    Modest new PC costs just $199

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I found the gPC and its gOS operating system easy to use.
    |
    | For example, just clicking anywhere on the open desktop brings up an
    | equivalent to the Windows Start menu, and right-clicking gets you a menu of
    | popular programs. I also like the Package Manager, a part of Ubuntu, which
    | finds and easily installs dozens of free and open-source programs. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...0,161094.story

    Wal-Mart's $199 Linux PC Back In Stock

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The gPC is one of the first Linux-based desktop machines to be offered for
    | sale by a major retailer. ¬*
    `----

    gPC - $199 C7 powered PC at Wal-Mart running gOS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now gOS the OS powering the gPC is a unique OS. While I said it is a
    | customized version of Ubuntu, the word 'customized' is an understatement. gOS
    | highlights and encourages users to use web applications instead of the
    | traditional software for their day to day computing tasks. ¬*
    `----

    http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/1...-wal-mart.html

    gOS Unboxed: Should Microsoft Worry? ¬*

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's rivalry with Google heated up considerably this past year when
    | rumors surfaced that Google might release its own operating system to compete
    | with Windows. Has Google finally jumped into the fray with its own OS? ¬*
    `----

    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2219310,00.asp

    A short look at gOS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So after downloading the gOS Live ISO onto my Debian Etch system I started
    | Innotek’s VirtualBox, bound the freshly downloaded ISO as a CD-ROM, made a
    | 4GB virtual hard disk image for installing it, gave that virtual computer
    | 256MB of RAM, and started... ¬*
    `----

    http://blog.thedebianuser.org/?p=255

    Gosh, gOS is good

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I really liked gOS. It's a cute little system with lots of functionality and
    | great looks. It works well and is fast and stable on my laptop. It should
    | work on any computer that any other Linux supports. Enlightenment is an
    | impressive desktop environment, and the iBar is a low-overhead way to blend
    | cool effects with needed functionality. I think users will like it. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/121151

    ReviewLinux.Com: gOS is worth looking into....

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everybody is going Green. I take a quick look at the new kid on the block.
    | gOS 1.0.1 was released earlier this month and I take a short screenshot tour
    | of this "Green" Linux OS. Check out the short flash video too. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=8247

  2. Re: [News] Eee PC Alternative Comes Without GNU/Ballux (Xandros +Ballmer Tax)

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:29:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > CES: New Cloudbook joins Linux ultra-mobile fray

    ' Asked whether Everex will do the same in upcoming models of the
    CloudBook, Liu said, "I have a feeling that Everex and Asus will be
    staying competitive with each other." '

    Interesting times ahead

    Would most any mainstream distro have drivers for the wireless card, I
    wonder?

    -Thufir

  3. Re: [News] Eee PC Alternative Comes Without GNU/Ballux (Xandros + Ballmer Tax)

    ____/ Thufir on Sunday 13 January 2008 07:54 : \____

    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:29:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> CES: New Cloudbook joins Linux ultra-mobile fray

    > ' Asked whether Everex will do the same in upcoming models of the
    > CloudBook, Liu said, "I have a feeling that Everex and Asus will be
    > staying competitive with each other." '
    >

    > Interesting times ahead
    >
    > Would most any mainstream distro have drivers for the wireless card, I
    > wonder?

    They can send them upstream and polish them further. The kernel hackers write
    drivers for free and they claim to be underworked at this stage.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
    10:20:02 up 33 days, 23:08, 4 users, load average: 0.67, 1.08, 1.10

  4. Re: [News] Eee PC Alternative Comes Without GNU/Ballux (Xandros + Ballmer Tax)

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Thufir on Sunday 13 January 2008 07:54 : \____
    >
    >> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:29:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> CES: New Cloudbook joins Linux ultra-mobile fray

    >> ' Asked whether Everex will do the same in upcoming models of the
    >> CloudBook, Liu said, "I have a feeling that Everex and Asus will be
    >> staying competitive with each other." '
    >>

    >> Interesting times ahead
    >>
    >> Would most any mainstream distro have drivers for the wireless card, I
    >> wonder?

    > They can send them upstream and polish them further. The kernel hackers write
    > drivers for free and they claim to be underworked at this stage.

    I'd be very very happy to see real competition between Asus and Everex!

  5. Re: [News] Eee PC Alternative Comes Without GNU/Ballux (Xandros + Ballmer Tax)

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 13:06 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Thufir on Sunday 13 January 2008 07:54 : \____

    >>> ' Asked whether Everex will do the same in upcoming models of the
    >>> CloudBook, Liu said, "I have a feeling that Everex and Asus will be
    >>> staying competitive with each other." '
    >>>

    >>> Interesting times ahead
    >>>
    >>> Would most any mainstream distro have drivers for the wireless card, I
    >>> wonder?

    >> They can send them upstream and polish them further. The kernel hackers
    >> write drivers for free and they claim to be underworked at this stage.
    >>

    > I'd be very very happy to see real competition between Asus and Everex!

    See this:

    Asus Eee PC as 'hard to get your hands on as a Wii'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Asus' elfin Eee PC is coming to Japan and it's going to get 16GB of
    | solid-state storage, it has been claimed. Meanwhile, in the UK availability
    | has reached Wii-like limits, according to insiders.
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12..._pc_wii_japan/

    Asus has just put it up a notch (more shops), it says it's its second most
    successful product ever and there's no Windows option is sight (screen is too
    small).

    Maybe you could 'pull an Oliver Wong' and get yourself people from the street
    to stand in the queue and grab some units for you to resell at a higher price
    on eBay? Naaa... only Windows advocates would do something like that.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle