[News] Mozilla Public Licence Might Get a Facelift Ahead of Firefox 3.0 Release - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Mozilla Public Licence Might Get a Facelift Ahead of Firefox 3.0 Release - Linux ; Mozilla Public License to be Updated? ,----[ Quote ] | One of the key reasons that Mozilla and its technologies are open source is | the Mozilla Public License (MPL). Now, the closely watched MPL may be seeing | an ...

  1. [News] Mozilla Public Licence Might Get a Facelift Ahead of Firefox 3.0 Release

    Mozilla Public License to be Updated?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the key reasons that Mozilla and its technologies are open source is
    | the Mozilla Public License (MPL). Now, the closely watched MPL may be seeing
    | an update after remaining unchanged for years.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3720656

    Still gaining, still being improved for GNU/Linux (see below).

    Related:

    Firefox 3.0 Beta 2 Is A Win For Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mozilla has released the latest beta of Firefox 3 today, and the Linux
    | efforts behind it are starting to show even more. This release, being a beta,
    | is surprisingly stable. Here’s the killer that makes this beta release
    | amazing: true GTK support.
    `----

    http://fosswire.com/2007/12/20/firef...win-for-linux/

    Firefox 3: rocking on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few people have been noticing how good our support on Linux has gotten
    | during the Firefox 3 development cycle and I thought I would post to try and
    | point out some of the good stuff that we have coming down the pipe. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=325

    Personas from Mozilla Labs give Firefox a sleek coat

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I probably won't use Personas much myself since I greatly prefer the
    | unadulterated GTK look in Firefox 3, but the addon is very intriguing from a
    | technical standpoint. The way that Personas takes Firefox's Internet
    | capabilities and leverages theme to bring dynamic content to the Firefox ¬*
    | chrome layer is very creative and it reflects a lot of possibilities that I
    | had never previously considered. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...x-a-sleek-coat

    Update on the Firefox 3 Linux Theme

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Work on the new linux theme for Firefox 3 is progressing nicely due to a very
    | active group of contributers. To match the operating system’s theme,
    | Firefox‚Äôs navigation toolbar will use native GTK icons. ¬*
    `----

    http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007...3-linux-theme/

    Shop offers Firefoxers a discount

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He reckons Fireyferret users get, "a better overall experience when browsing
    | the internet. We want to reward people who take the next step and try the
    | browser for themselves."
    |
    | We reckon it's just a publicity stunt, so we've forgotten to mention the name
    | of the shop or provide a link.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...oxers-discount

  2. Re: [News] Mozilla Public Licence Might Get a Facelift Ahead of Firefox 3.0 Release

    ____/ [H]omer on Friday 11 January 2008 14:18 : \____

    >> Mozilla Public License to be Updated?

    > Let's hope they veer more towards the GPL and less towards the CDDL
    > (based on the MPL and designed to be "deliberately GPL incompatible"[1],
    > according to its author, Danese Cooper - previously of Sun, now Intel).
    >
    > [1]

    http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-mee...pez_Ortega.ogg

    The new CEO has proprietary baggage, but the userbase will have him pressured.
    Besides, he's NAL (not a lawyer), so he probably isn't involved in this at
    all.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    In an Open world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates? -- ??
    Tasks: 149 total, 1 running, 147 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  3. Re: [News] Mozilla Public Licence Might Get a Facelift Ahead of Firefox 3.0 Release

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Friday 11 January 2008 14:18 : \____

    >>> Mozilla Public License to be Updated?

    >> Let's hope they veer more towards the GPL and less towards the CDDL
    >> (based on the MPL and designed to be "deliberately GPL incompatible"[1],
    >> according to its author, Danese Cooper - previously of Sun, now Intel).
    >>
    >> [1]
    >>

    > http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-mee...pez_Ortega.ogg
    >
    > The new CEO has proprietary baggage, but the userbase will have him pressured.
    > Besides, he's NAL (not a lawyer), so he probably isn't involved in this at
    > all.

    If the licence changes in an unsuitable direction, I'm quite sure that,
    just like with the X.org project, a fork will happen, and the winner
    will be the GPLed version.