Virgin Mobile Implements MySQL Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Virgin Mobile, a leading Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO), has
| implemented a MySQL Enterprise Platinum subscription to manage its data using
| the world's most popular open source database.
`----

http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events...e_2008_02.html

Virgin also chose GNU/Linux for its aircraft.

Last week:

Tech fuels flight

,----[ Quote ]
| We are using two dozen open source products, thanks to which we have saved
| close to $6 million for Virgin America in the last two years. Products today
| are mature enough to not cause undue risk. Our e-Commerce site, which does 80
| per cent of our business today, runs on open source. *
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...0750080300.htm

Related:

Virgin America tunes up with YSlow

,----[ Quote ]
| The travel start up has been making great use of open source in its software
| infrastructure during the launch phase, with Red Hat and Fedora running in
| its data center and on its web servers, a virtual private network using open
| source, and in-flight entertainment severs using MySQL and back-of-seat TV
| sets that are powered by Panasonic's Linux aboard its aircraft. * *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...a_open_source/

Linux-based airline seat-back entertainment system is a winner

,----[ Quote ]
| This Red Hat-based system also is installed on Qantas Airways and on Boeing
| 777s operated by Delta and Continental. eX2, the newest version of
| Panasonic's in-flight entertainment systems, offers not the canned radio
| stations of yesteryear, but rather audio and video on demand, games, and even
| online books, depending on the carrier. * *
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119544

Singapore Airlines puts a PC in every seat

,----[ Quote ]
| The whole system runs on Red Hat's distribution of the Linux operating
| system.
`----

StarOffice, Linux fly high on Singapore Airlines

,----[ Quote ]
| Singapore Airlines is offering access to Sun's StarOffice 8 office
| productivity suite free of charge to passengers on its new Boeing
| 777-300ER aircraft. StarOffice, Sun's proprietary version of
| OpenOffice.org, runs on the aircraft's Linux server and is accessed
| via a seat-back terminal at each passenger's seat, according to Sun.
`----

Airborne Linux Hackers Unite!

,----[ Quote ]
| Virgin America calls their new in-flight entertainment system “Red,” but it
| is really a gigantic sociological experiment in airborne distributed
| computing. *
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/0...hackers-unite/

Virgin America