End User Piracy - Linux

This is a discussion on End User Piracy - Linux ; Steven was recently hired as the inventory manager for a small electronics firm. Steven's new employer--IHT Electronics--does not have a centralized IT department, and as a result the firm's 75 employees have been free to make illegal copies of unlicensed ...

  1. End User Piracy

    Steven was recently hired as the inventory manager for a small
    electronics firm. Steven's new employer--IHT Electronics--does not have
    a centralized IT department, and as a result the firm's 75 employees
    have been free to make illegal copies of unlicensed software and
    install them on the firm's computers. In fact, this behavior is
    encouraged by the firm's owner, who argues that the software they need
    to run the business is too expensive for such a small firm....

    [Steven goes to BSA web site, decides he must turn in his boss.]

    With the Business Software Alliance he has two choices: He can call
    BSA's toll-free hotline, 1-888-NO PIRACY; or he can submit an online
    report. He is comforted to note that in either case, his information
    is will be treated confidentially, and pleased to learn that there is
    the possibility to earn a reward....

    ....the case is given to a BSA attorney who contacts IHT Electronics
    and invites it to work with BSA in a cooperative way to achieve
    license compliance and avoid litigation. An audit of software
    installations versus software licenses is reported to BSA's attorneys,
    resulting in an agreement to settle the matter out of court. This
    requires IHT Electronics to:

    1. bring its software into compliance, making sure that every
    product it plans to use is properly licensed and all additional
    installations are deleted;
    2. commit to stay in compliance in the future; and
    3. pay damages to resolve liability for past infringement of
    software.

    [Steven is relived that he was never caught. Now everyone is happy
    because they know how to stay in compliance with record-keeping
    requirements to avoid BSA action.]

    http://www.bsa.org/country/Anti-Pira...ly-7-2007.aspx

  2. Re: End User Piracy

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:40:13 -0800, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > [Steven is relived that he was never caught. Now everyone is happy
    > because they know how to stay in compliance with record-keeping
    > requirements to avoid BSA action.]

    Or... they could use OSS software which eliminates the needs for software
    audits.

  3. Re: End User Piracy

    alt writes:

    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:40:13 -0800, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> [Steven is relived that he was never caught. Now everyone is happy
    >> because they know how to stay in compliance with record-keeping
    >> requirements to avoid BSA action.]
    >>

    > Or... they could use OSS software which eliminates the needs for software
    > audits.

    Why?

  4. Re: End User Piracy

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    > alt writes:

    >> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:40:13 -0800, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>
    >>> [Steven is relived that he was never caught. Now everyone is happy
    >>> because they know how to stay in compliance with record-keeping
    >>> requirements to avoid BSA action.]
    >>>

    >> Or... they could use OSS software which eliminates the needs for software
    >> audits.
    >>

    > Why?

    The boss wanted to use pirated software "because genuine stuff is too
    expensive"

    Why else?
    FFS, do you have even a primary school reading age?
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  5. Re: End User Piracy

    ____/ spike1@freenet.co.uk on Friday 11 January 2008 10:10 : \____

    > Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >> alt writes:

    >>> Or... they could use OSS software which eliminates the needs for software
    >>> audits.
    >>>

    >> Why?

    > The boss wanted to use pirated software "because genuine stuff is too
    > expensive"
    >
    > Why else?
    > FFS, do you have even a primary school reading age?

    Hey, Andrew, I think you should post him a Xerox copy of your diploma and have
    him crying for a week. :-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: 12345679 x 8 = 98765432
    11:00:01 up 31 days, 23:48, 4 users, load average: 0.80, 1.05, 1.53

  6. Re: End User Piracy

    spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:

    > Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >> alt writes:

    >>> Or... they could use OSS software which eliminates the needs for software
    >>> audits.
    >>>

    >> Why?

    > The boss wanted to use pirated software "because genuine stuff is too
    > expensive"
    >
    > Why else?
    > FFS, do you have even a primary school reading age?

    Poor spike.

    It makes no difference. You *STILL* have to do a SW audit regularly to
    ensure individuals aren't breaking the laws.

    It's WHY you do an audit you dense twit. You never had a real job did
    you? Teacher? Thought so.

  7. Re: End User Piracy

    On 2008-01-10, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu claimed:

    > Steven was recently hired as the inventory manager for a small
    > electronics firm. Steven's new employer--IHT Electronics--does not have
    > a centralized IT department, and as a result the firm's 75 employees
    > have been free to make illegal copies of unlicensed software and
    > install them on the firm's computers. In fact, this behavior is
    > encouraged by the firm's owner, who argues that the software they need
    > to run the business is too expensive for such a small firm....
    >
    > [Steven goes to BSA web site, decides he must turn in his boss.]
    >
    > With the Business Software Alliance he has two choices: He can call
    > BSA's toll-free hotline, 1-888-NO PIRACY; or he can submit an online
    > report. He is comforted to note that in either case, his information
    > is will be treated confidentially, and pleased to learn that there is
    > the possibility to earn a reward....
    >
    > ...the case is given to a BSA attorney who contacts IHT Electronics
    > and invites it to work with BSA in a cooperative way to achieve
    > license compliance and avoid litigation. An audit of software
    > installations versus software licenses is reported to BSA's attorneys,
    > resulting in an agreement to settle the matter out of court. This
    > requires IHT Electronics to:
    >
    > 1. bring its software into compliance, making sure that every
    > product it plans to use is properly licensed and all additional
    > installations are deleted;
    > 2. commit to stay in compliance in the future; and
    > 3. pay damages to resolve liability for past infringement of
    > software.
    >
    > [Steven is relived that he was never caught. Now everyone is happy
    > because they know how to stay in compliance with record-keeping
    > requirements to avoid BSA action.]
    >

    > http://www.bsa.org/country/Anti-Pira...ly-7-2007.aspx

    I always tear up at heart-warming stories, such as this one. It's nice
    they were all able to reach an amicable agreement: the BSA gets the
    extortion payoff, Steven gets his reward (probably a firing), and the
    company gets to lay off several people to make up the loss in revenue
    due to permanent "compliance" costs and "fines" to the croo^H^H^H^HBSA.

    I wonder who Steven is working for now. I mean, they gave him away
    (even if it's not his real name, his role will do him in). Although,
    it's possible that didn't happen until after they layed him off because
    they could no longer afford to pay an IT monkey to push icons around on
    a desktop fulltime.

    --
    Behind a great man, there's a woman preventing him from being greater!

  8. Re: End User Piracy

    On 2008-01-11, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    > ____/ spike1@freenet.co.uk on Friday 11 January 2008 10:10 : \____
    >
    >> Hadron did eloquently scribble:

    >>> Why?

    >> The boss wanted to use pirated software "because genuine stuff is too
    >> expensive"
    >>
    >> Why else?
    >> FFS, do you have even a primary school reading age?

    > Hey, Andrew, I think you should post him a Xerox copy of your diploma and have
    > him crying for a week. :-)

    And put a copy on a website, along with a link in every post. Multiple
    links in each post: a header, 3 or 4 times in the body, in the sig
    block, etc.

    --
    Keeping freedom safe from democracy.

  9. Re: End User Piracy

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    > It makes no difference. You *STILL* have to do a SW audit regularly to
    > ensure individuals aren't breaking the laws.

    The boss was ADVOCATING the piracy you idiot.
    If it was just an employee installing naughty software... well, workplaces
    DO have an acceptable use policy. The person would've likely been sacked if
    THAT came up...

    Oh, and there is no legal reason why a company using free software would
    need to allow the BSA through their doors. They could internally audit to
    their heart's content.

    **** you.