Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free" - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free" - Linux ; DFS wrote: > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote: > > On Sep 11, 9:58 pm, "DFS" wrote: > > >> I doubt very seriously you can provide a cite for that claim. > > > > And you will, of course, apologize when ...

  1. Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free"

    DFS wrote:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > > On Sep 11, 9:58 pm, "DFS" wrote:

    > >> I doubt very seriously you can provide a cite for that claim.

    > > And you will, of course, apologize when and if I do?

    > Of course not - there's nothing to apologize for. You still haven't
    > delivered on the "$75/year on antivirus software".

    Of course he did. You're just too big a cunt to admit it.

    > You're not a liar,

    You are. The sort of village idiot breed that lies even when the truth
    sounds better.

    > >> not:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r188...s-hacked-to-at...

    > Can't answer this one, eh? Why?

    What's to answer? A couple unmaintained servers administered by
    independent community members were hacked. Nothing of consequence in a
    vacuum, let alone compared to the roughly 4 in 10 Wintard's boxes that
    are owned every single day of the week.

    > >> http://anti-virus-software-review.to.../aatpavwin.htm

    > And you just skipped over this too.

    "404 Not Found"

    Leave it to a Wintard to embarrass himself by prancing about and
    yapping about how people don't address things that don't exist.

    *snicker*

    > > Personally, I do not buy AV software because I do
    > > not need it.

    > Nor do I, and I run Windows Server 2003 (as administrator) connected
    > to always-on broadband for 3.5 years. I get no viruses or malware or
    > spyware. I use Firefox (prior to that Opera, prior to that IE), don't

    "I've experienced no undetected problems that I know of..."

    Typical idiot Wintard gibberish.

    > install the porn viewers I frequently get asked to install, run
    > behind a Linksys router, rename the administrator account, and use
    > the built-in Windows firewall.

    ROTFL!

    > > I manage 7 Linux machines at work, one at home and I
    > > also have a Mac laptop. I have never had any trouble with security
    > > in any form on any of my machines, including more than 10 years now
    > > with Linux.

    > Cool! Linux is a fairly secure platform, by design and also because
    > its low market share makes it an unattractive target for the
    > thousands of virus writers who target Windows.

    Winblows is targeted because it's an easy target. If it switched places
    with Linux tomorrow it would still have more virus problems because
    it's shoddy design is nothing but a petri dish for teh script kiddies.
    It actually takes soem effort to own a Linux box, and when a hole is
    found it's fixed up within days, if not hours. Unlike Winblows boxes,
    which sometimes wait YEARS fro a fix.

    *snicker*

    > > Only Windows, it seems, requires AV software.

    > Only Windows? Looks like I have to repeat myself, since you tried to
    > slink away the first time. These Ubuntu guys
    > needed some kind of protection:
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r188...-attack-others

    Uh, dimbulb... what does this have to do with viruses? Poor little
    strawgrabbing Wintard monkey. Just can't STAND the fact that Linux is
    so much more secure and rock solid stable than your pathetic Winblows
    that it just doesn't need the band aids you Wintards couldn't survive
    10 minutes without.

    ROTFLMAO!

  2. Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free"

    On Sep 12, 8:01 pm, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> [...]

    > it's shoddy design is nothing but a petri dish for teh script kiddies.
    > It actually takes soem effort to own a Linux box, and when a hole is
    > found it's fixed up within days, if not hours. Unlike Winblows boxes,
    > which sometimes wait YEARS fro a fix.
    >
    > *snicker*
    >
    > > > Only Windows, it seems, requires AV software.

    > > Only Windows? Looks like I have to repeat myself, since you tried to
    > > slink away the first time. These Ubuntu guys
    > > needed some kind of protection:

    > >http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r188...s-hacked-to-at...

    > Uh, dimbulb... what does this have to do with viruses? Poor little
    > strawgrabbing Wintard monkey. Just can't STAND the fact that Linux is
    > so much more secure and rock solid stable than your pathetic Winblows
    > that it just doesn't need the band aids you Wintards couldn't survive

    Dear N.N.

    Thanks for answering DFS for me. I think my original post was pretty
    moderately stated. I didn't claim Linux was perfect, and I didn't
    claim that I knew that AV costs $75/year on Windows, only that some
    Windows advocate had said so. And he did. Actually I believe DFS
    that he doesn't get malware infestations, but millions of people have
    the opposite experience, most of them technophobes and innocents.
    Personally I think Linux would have a problem with malware too if it
    had the market share of Windows, it would just be a lot less than the
    one Windows currently has. That's because you can do anything with
    sufficiently stupid users and sufficiently clever social engineering.
    As for porn, there's no danger in looking at it on Linux. You do run
    the risk of having your email address become a target for every
    spammer in the world if you don't guard it, even on Linux. And of
    course spam itself is a continuing reflection of poor security in
    Windows (because of millions of Windows spambots and zombies). The
    old argument that Windows only gets attacked because of its market
    share is so tiring, and how convenient for Microsoft, which has never
    been interested in technical excellence! The best rebuttals of this
    argument I have seen are in roughlydrafted, whose biting sarcasm and
    wit are most entertaining. He's Mac-centric, however.

    Regards, N.

+ Reply to Thread