12 Companies Nabbed by the Business Software Alliance - Linux

This is a discussion on 12 Companies Nabbed by the Business Software Alliance - Linux ; Already forgotten Major League Baseball's Mitchell Report? Here's another kind of "cheater's" list that companies will want to avoid. Here are 12 companies who have been fined by the Business Software Alliance for not playing by the rules of asset ...

  1. 12 Companies Nabbed by the Business Software Alliance

    Already forgotten Major League Baseball's Mitchell Report? Here's
    another kind of "cheater's" list that companies will want to avoid.
    Here are 12 companies who have been fined by the Business Software
    Alliance for not playing by the rules of asset management.

    The Business Software Alliance (BSA) spends much of its time and
    resources fighting piracy and software license violations for software
    vendors. Here's a sample list of companies who have paid settlements
    for software license violations since December 2006.

    http://www.baselinemag.com/slideshow...94&po=1,00.asp

  2. Re: 12 Companies Nabbed by the Business Software Alliance

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Thursday 10 January 2008 21:32 : \____

    > Already forgotten Major League Baseball's Mitchell Report? Here's
    > another kind of "cheater's" list that companies will want to avoid.
    > Here are 12 companies who have been fined by the Business Software
    > Alliance for not playing by the rules of asset management.
    >
    > The Business Software Alliance (BSA) spends much of its time and
    > resources fighting piracy and software license violations for software
    > vendors. Here's a sample list of companies who have paid settlements
    > for software license violations since December 2006.

    http://www.baselinemag.com/slideshow...94&po=1,00.asp

    These people (they are a Microsoft proxy primarily) also harass free software.

    What about selling free software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gervase Markham, the Mozilla Foundation's licensing officer, in an
    | article in the Times Online, talks about being questioned by a
    | northern UK Trading License Officer about giving away software.
    |
    | The trading officer was concerned by a group that was burning the
    | free Mozilla Browser on CDs and selling it.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/..._free_software

    Legality of Fedora in production environment

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00697.html

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
    Cpu(s): 24.9%us, 4.0%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.0%id, 3.7%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  3. Re: 12 Companies Nabbed by the Business Software Alliance

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Already forgotten Major League Baseball's Mitchell Report? Here's
    > another kind of "cheater's" list that companies will want to avoid.
    > Here are 12 companies who have been fined by the Business Software
    > Alliance for not playing by the rules of asset management.
    >
    > The Business Software Alliance (BSA) spends much of its time and
    > resources fighting piracy and software license violations for software
    > vendors. Here's a sample list of companies who have paid settlements
    > for software license violations since December 2006.

    http://www.baselinemag.com/slideshow...94&po=1,00.asp

    I'm going to do my best to track each and every one of the "dirty dozen" and
    advocate using Linux to them. Including a follow up mailing of a copy of
    Red Hat, Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu and Kubuntu and OpenOffice and links to
    Adobe Acrobat for Linux....

    Everybody else, should do the same.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)