Re: [OT] How long is a DVD supposed to last, anyway? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [OT] How long is a DVD supposed to last, anyway? - Linux ; [H]omer wrote: > Like light bulbs, I seem to be replacing DVD discs nearly every day, and > I'm getting really sick and tired of it. > > Given that the discs themselves appear to be virtually pristine AFAICT, > ...

  1. Re: [OT] How long is a DVD supposed to last, anyway?

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Like light bulbs, I seem to be replacing DVD discs nearly every day, and
    > I'm getting really sick and tired of it.
    >
    > Given that the discs themselves appear to be virtually pristine AFAICT,
    > and that I have ... lemme count ... *47* DVD players (mostly PC drives),
    > it makes me wonder exactly what the Hell is going on with these discs.
    >
    > The latest victim is Blade Runner (the original DVD release, not the
    > REDUX). There's some barely perceptible wear at the outer edge, but
    > nothing serious. It just won't play, at all, in *any* of my drives.
    >
    > Another case of "disc rot" perhaps?
    >
    > That's it. From now on I'm ripping *every* disc I get to an ISO file on
    > the server. Just think, the UK government are considering making ripping
    > *illegal* (like that DMCA nonsense in the US). I wonder what they have
    > to say about the need to constantly replace discs? Do they even care?

    Backup as ISO to hard drive (the important ones)
    They are about 60 pounds for 500Gb - enough for 100 DVDs.

    I've lost a lot of CDs and DVDs - the dyes seem to be fading with time.
    Its very unpredictable whose media fails first.

  2. Re: [OT] How long is a DVD supposed to last, anyway?

    7 wrote:

    >[H]omer wrote:
    >
    >> Like light bulbs, I seem to be replacing DVD discs nearly every day, and
    >> I'm getting really sick and tired of it.
    >>
    >> Given that the discs themselves appear to be virtually pristine AFAICT,
    >> and that I have ... lemme count ... *47* DVD players (mostly PC drives),
    >> it makes me wonder exactly what the Hell is going on with these discs.
    >>
    >> The latest victim is Blade Runner (the original DVD release, not the
    >> REDUX). There's some barely perceptible wear at the outer edge, but
    >> nothing serious. It just won't play, at all, in *any* of my drives.
    >>
    >> Another case of "disc rot" perhaps?
    >>
    >> That's it. From now on I'm ripping *every* disc I get to an ISO file on
    >> the server. Just think, the UK government are considering making ripping
    >> *illegal* (like that DMCA nonsense in the US). I wonder what they have
    >> to say about the need to constantly replace discs? Do they even care?

    >Backup as ISO to hard drive (the important ones)
    >They are about 60 pounds for 500Gb - enough for 100 DVDs.
    >
    >I've lost a lot of CDs and DVDs - the dyes seem to be fading with time.
    >Its very unpredictable whose media fails first.

    I don't think I've lost any of either.

  3. Re: [OT] How long is a DVD supposed to last, anyway?

    On 2008-01-10, chrisv claimed:
    > 7 wrote:

    >>I've lost a lot of CDs and DVDs - the dyes seem to be fading with time.
    >>Its very unpredictable whose media fails first.

    > I don't think I've lost any of either.

    I lost one CD to what I believe is fading of the dye. (There might have
    been more if not for the fact that most get tossed or forgotten in 2-3
    years around here.) I thought it was the reader at first. But it
    wouldn't read without errors on any drive after awhile. The surface was
    in excellent shape, too. In fact, I had some that had scratches all
    over the surface that worked just fine, but that one wouldn't.

    I've heard this happens over time. That one happened to me before I'd
    ever heard that. I didn't know what was going on. But I started to
    suspect that the claims of "forever" that I'd once heard were bogus.

    When I saw something about it, the recommendation was to rip everything
    to drives, seal the originals in something, like sandwich bags or some
    other tight container, and store the originals in a cool, dry, dark
    place. Supposedly that makes them last longer. The claim in the article
    was that the elements, especially daylight, was the problem.

    I never bothered to try it. I just remember reading about it some 5 or
    more years ago. I assumed if I was just finding out about it, it must
    be common knowledge to the rest of mankind.

    Most of the stuff I get isn't going to be used a few years from now
    anyway. I don't buy commercial movies because I rarely want to see one
    more than a couple of times uninterrupted. I can live with most of them
    on regular TV or one of the cable movie channels after that. Commercial
    software is most often outdated, or for a younger child in the case of
    SM Jr, and I wouldn't notice that it doesn't read well in a couple of
    years because I no longer have any use for it.

    --
    Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funeral.

+ Reply to Thread