Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free" - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free" - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly: > +100 8) +1000 8-) > Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote: >> Windows is *designed* from the ground up to force hardware >> "upgrades" every 6 to 12 months. It's almost as ...

  1. Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free"

    Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:

    > +100 8)

    +1000 8-)

    > Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

    >> Windows is *designed* from the ground up to force hardware
    >> "upgrades" every 6 to 12 months. It's almost as if Gates and
    >> company got kickbacks from the hardware industry.

    One word: DirectX.

    Want to play the latest game? You'll need the latest graphics card.
    Oh, but guess what? It only works with the latest version of Windows
    (a proven lie). Want the latest version of Windows? You'll need a faster
    processor, more memory, a Protected Media Path compatible monitor
    (HDMI), a bigger HDD ... essentially a new PC.

    So consumers are doomed to run like hamsters on the Upgrade Treadmill,
    under the /pretext/ of new software requiring new hardware requiring new
    software. But the key word, and the /lie/, is the word "require". The
    /need/ is imaginary ... imposed by an act of manipulation. It's nothing
    more than greedy extortion.

    The boiler room deals between Microsoft and the hardware manufacturers
    are more than mere suppositions ... it's bloody obvious. They're the
    Mafia of the software industry, and I don't mean metaphorically either.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    01:55:23 up 35 days, 50 min, 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.16, 0.15

  2. Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free"

    "[H]omer" wrote in message news:fgemr4-q2r.ln1@sky.matrix...

    > Want to play the latest game? You'll need the latest graphics card.
    > Oh, but guess what? It only works with the latest version of Windows
    > (a proven lie). Want the latest version of Windows? You'll need a faster
    > processor, more memory, a Protected Media Path compatible monitor
    > (HDMI), a bigger HDD ... essentially a new PC.
    >
    > So consumers are doomed to run like hamsters on the Upgrade Treadmill,
    > under the /pretext/ of new software requiring new hardware requiring new
    > software. But the key word, and the /lie/, is the word "require". The
    > /need/ is imaginary ... imposed by an act of manipulation. It's nothing
    > more than greedy extortion.
    >
    > The boiler room deals between Microsoft and the hardware manufacturers
    > are more than mere suppositions ... it's bloody obvious. They're the
    > Mafia of the software industry, and I don't mean metaphorically either.

    You have a warped view of things, in my opinion. Companies manufacture
    goods and services and vend them to the consumers on an ongoing basis and
    offer new, improved, or merely different versions intended to appeal to some
    group or other. You don't want to pay for the hardware and software to run
    some new version of a game? Fine. You probably don't want to spend a few
    hundred thousand bucks for a Lamborghini either. Maybe you don't even want
    to spend $40K for a Lincoln and think that it is too much money for the
    result. So don't do it. Just say no. Soothe your pride and snicker at the
    fools who do in spite of your sage advice.

    The latest games, or any game at all, is not vital to survival, they only
    pertain to someone's personal choice.

+ Reply to Thread