[News] Confusing GNU/Linux with Politics/Rebellion - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Confusing GNU/Linux with Politics/Rebellion - Linux ; Linux Use As A Political Act ,----[ Quote ] | You may not consider yourself a political activist. Perhaps your initial | interest in Linux had much to do with its zero-dollar price tag, reputation | for stability, resistance to ...

  1. [News] Confusing GNU/Linux with Politics/Rebellion

    Linux Use As A Political Act

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You may not consider yourself a political activist. Perhaps your initial
    | interest in Linux had much to do with its zero-dollar price tag, reputation
    | for stability, resistance to viruses, or huge software catalog. But, if you
    | currently use it as your sole or primary operating system: why?
    `----

    http://menpro.blogspot.com/2007/12/l...tical-act.html

    Related:

    BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
    | his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
    | wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
    | is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-a...to-dump-linux/

    Mark Cuban to ISPs: block all P2P traffic; Ars to Cuban: um, no

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Of course, there are many legitimate uses for P2P that Google Video can't
    | replace, like distributing Linux ISOs. Furthermore, the notion that the only
    | ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | people who benefit from P2P technology are the distributors is wrong. If I
    | have the option of grabbing a download from a distant single server or from a
    | torrent with hundreds of users, I'm going to opt for the torrent. Why? It's
    | almost guaranteed to be faster, and let's face it: most BitTorrent software
    | is quite adept at managing large downloads. Perhaps I want to throttle it
    | while playing a game; perhaps I want to encrypt my transfers. If I'm
    | distributing video or audio, perhaps I don't wish to be bound by the terms of
    | Google Video. ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...p-traffic.html

    Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you remember, this was sold to the public as essential for fighting
    | terrorism. It's already being misused.
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive..._rights_a.html

    Judge: Man can't be forced to divulge encryption passphrase

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In this case, Judge Niedermeier took the second approach. He said that
    | encryption keys can be "testimonial," and even the prosecution's alternative
    | of asking the defendant to type in the passphrase when nobody was looking
    | would be insufficient. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-983...?tag=nefd.blgs

    Did NSA Put a Secret Backdoor in New Encryption Standard?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Which is why you should worry about a new random-number standard that
    | includes an algorithm that is slow, badly designed and just might contain a
    | backdoor for the National Security Agency.
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...tymatters_1115

    Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
    | encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ng-police-hack

    FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we
    | reported earlier this week, can be delivered over the Internet and implanted
    | in a suspect's computer remotely.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

  2. Re: [News] Confusing GNU/Linux with Politics/Rebellion

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 10 January 2008 21:28 : \____

    >> Linux Use As A Political Act
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | You may not consider yourself a political activist. Perhaps your
    >> | initial interest in Linux had much to do with its zero-dollar price
    >> | tag, reputation for stability, resistance to viruses, or huge
    >> | software catalog. But, if you currently use it as your sole or
    >> | primary operating system: why?
    >> `----

    > Good question. Here's my answer:
    >
    > . Faster and more responsive
    > . Virtually no reboots
    > . No Malware
    > . Inherently secure by design, not a dysfunctional afterthought
    > . More reliable ... by an order of magnitude
    > . Works the way *I* want, not the way Microsoft/RIAA/MPAA wants
    > . No *disablement* "features", only *empowerment*
    > . No covert communications with the Mothership and the NSA
    > . Issues can usually be resolved, unlike many Windows problems
    > . Issues can be resolved without a WipeNReinstall¬ģ, unlike Windows
    > . Issues can be resolved without paying for third-party software
    > . Access to the source means issues are transparent, unlike Windows
    > . Access to the source means security is *actually* trustworthy
    > . Supports more hardware, esp. new architectures and older hardware
    > . >16,000 software packages (Fedora), all free
    >
    > And yes, there are *also* political reasons, like:
    >
    > . No desire to support gangsters like Microsoft
    > . Software freedom (GPL)
    > . Autonomy
    > . Real sense of community, rather than "victims support group"
    >
    > Oh, and did I mention it's free?
    >
    > Three questions for the author:
    >
    > Why would he suspect that using GNU/Linux as the "sole or primary
    > operating system" is mainly politically motivated?
    >
    > Is using *Windows* as the "sole or primary operating system"
    > politically motivated?
    >
    > What obligation does he feel that *anyone* has to use Windows, exactly?

    I worry that blog items like that portray Linux users as the menace of society,
    which pretty much support the Enderle hypothesis which he uses to poison the
    minds of decision-makers. There are other such examples.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted