OT: AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter Internet Usage - Linux

This is a discussion on OT: AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter Internet Usage - Linux ; (from http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ter/index.html ) January 8, 2008, 7:07 pm AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter By Brad Stone For the past fifteen years, Internet service providers have acted - to use an old cliche - as wide-open ...

  1. OT: AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter Internet Usage

    (from
    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ter/index.html)

    January 8, 2008, 7:07 pm
    AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter
    By Brad Stone

    For the past fifteen years, Internet service providers have acted - to use
    an old cliche - as wide-open information super-highways, letting data flow
    uninterrupted and unimpeded between users and the Internet.

    But ISPs may be about to embrace a new metaphor: traffic cop.

    At a small panel discussion about digital piracy here at NBC's booth on the
    Consumer Electronics Show floor, representatives from NBC, Microsoft,
    several digital filtering companies and telecom giant AT&T said the time was
    right to start filtering for copyrighted content at the network level.

    Such filtering for pirated material already occurs on sites like YouTube and
    Microsoft's Soapbox, and on some university networks.

    Network-level filtering means your Internet service provider - Comcast,
    AT&T, EarthLink, or whoever you send that monthly check to - could soon
    start sniffing your digital packets, looking for material that infringes on
    someone's copyright.

    "What we are already doing to address piracy hasn't been working. There's no
    secret there," said James Cicconi, senior vice president, external & legal
    affairs for AT&T.

    Mr. Cicconi said that AT&T has been talking to technology companies, and
    members of the MPAA and RIAA, for the last six months about implementing
    digital fingerprinting techniques on the network level.

    "We are very interested in a technology based solution and we think a
    network-based solution is the optimal way to approach this," he said. "We
    recognize we are not there yet but there are a lot of promising
    technologies. But we are having an open discussion with a number of content
    companies, including NBC Universal, to try to explore various technologies
    that are out there."

    Internet civil rights organizations oppose network-level filtering, arguing
    that it amounts to Big Brother monitoring of free speech, and that such
    filtering could block the use of material that may fall under fair-use legal
    provisions - uses like parody, which enrich our culture.

    Rick Cotton, the general counsel of NBC Universal, who has led the company's
    fights against companies like YouTube for the last three years, clearly
    doesn't have much tolerance for that line of thinking.

    "The volume of peer-to-peer traffic online, dominated by copyrighted
    materials, is overwhelming. That clearly should not be an acceptable,
    continuing status," he said. "The question is how we collectively
    collaborate to address this."

    I asked the panelists how they would respond to objections from their
    customers over network level filtering - for example, the kind of angry
    outcry Comcast saw last year, when it was accused of clamping down on
    BitTorrent traffic on its network.

    "Whatever we do has to pass muster with consumers and with policy standards.
    There is going to be a spotlight on it," said Mr. Cicconi of AT&T.

    After the session, he told me that ISPs like AT&T would have to handle such
    network filtering delicately, and do more than just stop an upload dead in
    its tracks, or send a legalistic cease and desist form letter to a customer.
    "We've got to figure out a friendly way to do it, there's no doubt about
    it," he said.

  2. Re: OT: AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter Internet Usage

    * jim fired off this tart reply:

    > http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ter/index.html
    >
    > January 8, 2008, 7:07 pm
    > AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter
    > By Brad Stone
    >
    > For the past fifteen years, Internet service providers have acted - to use
    > an old cliche - as wide-open information super-highways, letting data flow
    > uninterrupted and unimpeded between users and the Internet.
    >
    > But ISPs may be about to embrace a new metaphor: traffic cop.
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > After the session, he told me that ISPs like AT&T would have to handle such
    > network filtering delicately, and do more than just stop an upload dead in
    > its tracks, or send a legalistic cease and desist form letter to a customer.
    > "We've got to figure out a friendly way to do it, there's no doubt about
    > it," he said.

    Ultimately, they'll have to block all encrypted traffic, or transmission
    of encryption keys.

    If that has come to pass, well, let's just say that the phrase "It's a
    free country" will be rendered ironic.

    --
    The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.

  3. Re: OT: AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter Internet Usage

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 10 January 2008 19:38 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >> * jim fired off this tart reply:

    >>> But ISPs may be about to embrace a new metaphor: traffic cop.

    >> Ultimately, they'll have to block all encrypted traffic, or
    >> transmission of encryption keys.

    > Well, before I read your comment I was going to say "shell account" but
    > if, as you say, they start blocking ssh too then that really will be the
    > end of the last vestiges of .Net freedom.
    >
    > The ISP I'm with ATM already throttles encrypted traffic. As a result of
    > that, and various other issues, they've lost probably half of their
    > customers (judging by comments on the forum). I don't know why I've
    > tolerated it as long as I have.
    >
    >> If that has come to pass, well, let's just say that the phrase "It's
    >> a free country" will be rendered ironic.

    > The irony of our faux freedom is nothing new, but as bad as it's been,
    > it's been getting progressively worse at a seemingly accelerated rate
    > over the last few years (the Bush/Blair years).

    Patriot Act. What a [H|F]aux! Don't you think it has much to do with the
    pres/PM. They are being controlled behind the scenes. There are other powers
    at play. Let's see how many years it takes before we have licensed and
    unlicensed blogs? Or several 'internets' whose scope and performance depend on
    many factor of convenience (not the users' convenience of course).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I think I think, therefore I think I am"