Linux-Based VoIP Partnership Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| Chipmaker Broadcom and software developer Trolltech this week formed a
| partnership to create a multimedia voice over IP development platform based
| on Linux.
`----

Also new from Trolltech:

Linux VoIP stack powers "kitchen communicator" design

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech has announced a new spin on its Qtopia software stack for
| Linux-based devices.
`----

Related:

Asterisk awakens open source love in telecom entrepreneur

,----[ Quote ]
| Fribush's previous company produced Web telephony software for the online
| dating industry. When that business was sold in 2006, he started looking for
| his next project and noticed an interesting trend. "We were looking at the
| Asterisk movement, and we started looking at some of the momentum," Fribush
| says. "It was a big disrupter. And we thought that one of the missing pieces
| was a turnkey solution where the application was actually hosted." Fribush
| partnered with his friend Michael Rand to launch Aretta
| Communications. "That's really the start of my open source background. I've
| really always been a Microsoft guy. You get converted when you see the power
| of open source tools. Now it is the majority of our infrastructure." ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/123066

Digium preps Asterisk Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| "We developed our own GUI [which is] similar to Trixbox [distribution],
| but the purpose of AsteriskNow is to provide a distribution built
| around Asterisk technology so people can use it without the GUI," he
| said. "The GUI is the same as the Asterisk Appliance that looks
| like a Linksys router that runs Asterisk and has analogue ports."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...24;fp;2;fpid;1

Linux dominating VoIP devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech says its development framework and software stack for mobile
| devices was selected by Skype as the preferred platform for Skype-certified
| VoIP (voice-over-IP) phones. Additionally, the Qtopia framework/stack has
| been used in about 40 VoIP devices, making it the "dominant Linux
| development platform for VoIP/WiFi devices," according to Trolltech.
`----

Digium Takes Best of Open Source Software Award

| Bossie judges singled out Digium for being the ‚Äúmost mature and scalable‚ÄĚ IP
| PBX currently available.
`----

http://www.voip-news.com/blog/200709...oftware-award/

Broadcom aims advanced comm chips at Linux handsets

,----[ Quote ]
| Jim Tran, GM of mobile communications at Broadcom, added, "Broadcom has a
| long history of working closely within the Linux community on advanced
| communications products." ¬*
`----

Broadcom Joins the LiMo Foundation as a Leading Semiconductor Provider for
Mobile Linux(R) Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Broadcom Corporation, a global leader in semiconductors for wired and
| wireless communications, today announced that it has joined the LiMo
| Foundation as one of its first semiconductor suppliers. ¬*
`----

http://www.stockhouse.ca/news/news.a...newsid=6113695

65nm "STB-on-a-chip" runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Broadcom is sampling a highly integrated system-on-chip (SoC) for cable,
| satellite, and IP set-top boxes (STBs). Built on outsourced 65nm process
| technology, the BCM7405 "STB-on-a-chip" is based on a 400MHz MIPS32/16e
| processor core, runs Linux, and supports numerous video compression standards
| as well as networked personal video recorder (PVR) functionality. ¬* ¬*
`----

Broadcom to Bring ARM Cortex-A8 to Powerful Videocore Mobile Multimedia
Product Line

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to its robust processing power, the Cortex-A8 processor is
| fully supported by the ARM RealView(R) Development Suite enabling OEMs
| to deliver rich content to Linux-based devices that fully exploit
| the high-performance Cortex-A8 processor with significantly reduced
| memory footprint. The ability to seamlessly build Linux application
| libraries with the compilation tools in the RealView Development
| Suite enables developers to maximize the performance of key elements
| of their code base, ultimately providing end customers with highly
| responsive Linux devices that have an exceptionally long battery life.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=198693

Broadcom Demonstrates Linux OS Support on Its CellAirity Platform for Low
Cost Smartphone Handsets

,----[ Quote ]
| Broadcom Corporation, a global leader in semiconductors for wired
| and wireless communications, today announced that it will
| demonstrate the flexibility of its cellular platform with a
| new reference design that can run powerful applications on the Linux
| operating system.
`----

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/nach...el-7748243.asp

Broadcom samples one-chip HSDPA smartphone silicon

,----[ Quote ]
| At 3GSM this week, Broadcom unveiled a smartphone SoC (system-on-chip)
| that integrates an HSPDA baseband modem with application, audio,
| and multimedia processors on a single monolithic chip.
`----

Broadcom Offers Linux BSP for Wi-Fi Phone Chipset

,----[ Quote ]
| Broadcom has said that the Broadcom Wi-Fi phone chipset has been
| selected by Samsung for its new line of consumer and small business
| Wi-Fi phones.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/M..._Phone_Chipset

Broadcom app processor targets Linux phones

,----[ Quote ]
`----