Yahoo tests support for OpenID

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo appears close to implementing OpenID, a Web authentication standard
| that relieves people of the need to remember multiple passwords to log into
| different Web sites.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

Google, Facebook add support for social content portability

,----[ Quote ]
| The group's philosophy is that user photos, videos and other forms of
| personal data should be discoverable by and shared between their chosen tools
| and vendors, he added.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2m4ge9

Top 10 Projects to Come Out of Google’s Summer of Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Every summer since 2005, Google has offered what is essentially a paid
| internship to open source groups. Students are offered the opportunity to
| work with open source development groups to complete projects, often
| resulting in significant advances for both the student’s knowledge and the
| developments they’ve worked on. These projects, combined or otherwise, are
| some of the biggest successes we’ve seen come out of Google’s Summer of Code.
|
| # Gaim: The Gaim instant messaging project benefited greatly from Summer of
| Code, getting helpful updates that made it into the client’s 2.0 version,
| Pidgin.
| # Neuros OSD: This audio/video recording and playback device is committed to
| open source, but had non-open source DSP code in order to get on the market
| faster. Google Summer of Code students created an open source “bridge” that
| enabled open source codecs to be used...
`----

http://www.virtualhosting.com/blog/2...ummer-of-code/

Related:

The Google Highly Open Participation Contest

,----[ Quote ]
| Following on from the success of the Google Summer of Code program, Google is
| pleased to announce this new effort to get young people involved in open
| source development. *
`----

http://code.google.com/opensource/ghop/2007-8/

Open-source software gamble for Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Can something you give away for free turn into a gold mine? That's the
| multimillion-dollar question Google Inc. is betting on with its push into
| open-source software.
`----

http://www.financialpost.com/story.h...30a510&k=51155

Amarok's Summer of Code Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Read on to learn about two innovative additions to the Amarok project.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1190246519/

Google Summer of Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Accepted student applications for Google Summer of Code have been
| announced! We accepted over 900 student applicants from a pool of
| nearly 6,200 applications.
`----

http://code.google.com/soc/#a

Google Launches "Google Developer Day"

,----[ Quote ]
| The intention behind Google Developer Day sounds somewhat similar to "Hack
| Day" -- an annual one day gathering that rival Yahoo has been hosting in
| its Sunnyvale, California abode inviting software developers to get
| together and experiment with Yahoo applications.
`----

http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/news/pse...Singapore.html
http://tinyurl.com/2vhyu3

Google Grants - Free Advertising for Open Source Non-profits

,----[ Quote ]
| Programs like Google Summer of Code can really help raise awareness of
| your project, but you may want to learn about another Google program
| that may be able to help give your project more visibility.
|
| The Google Grants program, currently in beta release, uses Google
| AdWords to help nonprofits spread their messages to a wider audience
| by providing them with free advertising on Google.com.
`----

http://google-code-updates.blogspot....-for-open.html
http://tinyurl.com/34py7c

(Google) Speaking of Summer