Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises - Linux ; On Jan 9, 4:25*am, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > The Linux Project: Gentoo revisited > > ,----[ Quote ] > | In conclusion, I humbly apologize to the Gentoo Linux community for giving > | you such a bad rap in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

  1. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    On Jan 9, 4:25*am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > The Linux Project: Gentoo revisited
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In conclusion, I humbly apologize to the Gentoo Linux community for giving
    > | you such a bad rap in previous articles. I was wrong. Gentoo is lots of fun,
    > | probably more fun than should be allowed. As Linux distributions go, it is
    > | surely not the worst. That would be Yoper. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.opednews.com/articles/lif...e_linux_projec...
    >


    Good for him... Gentoo rocks!

    --
    Tom Shelton

  2. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    > Tom Shelton writes:
    > > On Jan 9, 4:25*am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >> The Linux Project: Gentoo revisited

    >
    > >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >> | In conclusion, I humbly apologize to the Gentoo Linux community for giving
    > >> | you such a bad rap in previous articles. I was wrong. Gentoo is lots of fun,
    > >> | probably more fun than should be allowed. As Linux distributions go, it is
    > >> | surely not the worst. That would be Yoper. *
    > >> `----

    >
    > >>http://www.opednews.com/articles/lif...e_linux_projec...

    >
    > > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!

    >
    > How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?


    It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    like the gentoo way of doing things.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  3. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >> Tom Shelton writes:


    >> > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!

    >>
    >> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?

    >
    > It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    > nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    > building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    > system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    > maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    > like the gentoo way of doing things.


    Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according to
    him, all distros are the same.

    --
    Kier


  4. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tom Shelton

    wrote
    on Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:19:57 -0800 (PST)
    :
    > On Jan 9, 4:25*am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> The Linux Project: Gentoo revisited
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In conclusion, I humbly apologize to the Gentoo Linux community for giving
    >> | you such a bad rap in previous articles. I was wrong. Gentoo is lots of fun,
    >> | probably more fun than should be allowed. As Linux distributions go, it is
    >> | surely not the worst. That would be Yoper. *
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.opednews.com/articles/lif...e_linux_projec...
    >>

    >
    > Good for him... Gentoo rocks!
    >
    > --
    > Tom Shelton


    Well, I've switched from Debian to Gentoo long ago
    (my Debian got entangled in some sort of dependency
    snarl some years back), and while it's quirky, annoying
    in spots when the upstream donor does a major change
    (the X switchover gave me headaches for awhile, and
    rosegarden/jackd/fluidsynth is still rather, well, fluid
    about generating audio), and runs into an occasional build
    problem, I've had no real show stoppers thus far.

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  5. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Kier writes:

    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >
    >> On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>> Tom Shelton writes:

    >
    >>> > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!
    >>>
    >>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?

    >>
    >> It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    >> nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    >> building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    >> system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    >> maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    >> like the gentoo way of doing things.

    >
    > Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according to
    > him, all distros are the same.


    Nothing he does above can not be done with Ubuntu.

    I have made my views on distro hell very clear. It fragments the Linux
    skill sets. This is not open to debate. It is a fact. See "boycottnovel"
    for a glaringly obvious example.

  6. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Kier wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >
    >> On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>> Tom Shelton writes:

    >
    >>> > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!
    >>>
    >>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?

    >>
    >> It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    >> nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    >> building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    >> system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    >> maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    >> like the gentoo way of doing things.

    >
    >Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according to
    >him, all distros are the same.


    Yet he hates the fact that he must chose one from many.


  7. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>>> Tom Shelton writes:

    >>
    >>>> > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!
    >>>>
    >>>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    >>> nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    >>> building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    >>> system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    >>> maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    >>> like the gentoo way of doing things.

    >>
    >> Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according to
    >> him, all distros are the same.

    >
    > Nothing he does above can not be done with Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have made my views on distro hell very clear.


    You call it "distro hell". Other people call it "choice"
    Yes, we all know that "choice" is the one thing you can't accept, as long as
    it is not *your* choice

    > It fragments the Linux skill sets.


    No, it does not. Since when are you the one who decides who has to work on
    what? It is the freedom of everyone to decide wat to support. You have
    absolutely no say in that. Not the tiniest little bit

    > This is not open to debate.


    Right, it is not. You are wrong. You are so utterly wrong that it is just a
    riot how you dare to declare your bull**** this way

    > It is a fact. See "boycottnovel" for a glaringly obvious example.


    Meaning what, exactly? That you are still wrong? You bet

    --
    You're genuinely bogus.


  8. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:05:17 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>>> Tom Shelton writes:

    >>
    >>>> > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!
    >>>>
    >>>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    >>> nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    >>> building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    >>> system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    >>> maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    >>> like the gentoo way of doing things.

    >>
    >> Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according to
    >> him, all distros are the same.

    >
    > Nothing he does above can not be done with Ubuntu.


    You compile all your Ubuntu apps from source, do you?

    >
    > I have made my views on distro hell very clear. It fragments the Linux
    > skill sets. This is not open to debate. It is a fact. See "boycottnovel"
    > for a glaringly obvious example.


    Yes, it most emphatically *is* open to debate, you moron. Just because
    the great Hadron Quark says something doesn't mean its true.

    And exactly what does boycottnovell have to do with it?

    I happen to like Ubuntu, but why should I, or anyone else, force other
    users to use Ubuntu when they don't want it? I'd like to see how you are
    going to tell my brother, a Red Hat/Fedora users of many years standing,
    to switch to Ubuntu, because it is 'the same'. In fact, it is not.
    Remotely.

    --
    Kier


  9. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:05:17 +0100,
    Hadron wrote:
    > Kier writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>>> Tom Shelton writes:

    >>
    >>>> > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!
    >>>>
    >>>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    >>> nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    >>> building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    >>> system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    >>> maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    >>> like the gentoo way of doing things.

    >>
    >> Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according to
    >> him, all distros are the same.

    >
    > Nothing he does above can not be done with Ubuntu.
    >


    emerge world


    Ubuntu is nice, but if you want to recompile everything from source, you
    have your work cut out for you. It's easy (if time consuming) to do so
    with Gentoo.


    Ubuntu is very new user friendly, Gentoo, not so much...

    Gentoo allows you to *easily* compile things with only the options you
    want. So you can change to say, a new audio subsystem (like OSS vs Alsa)
    with a simple flag in the system conf. That's an app by app change with
    Ubuntu.

    Now me? I don't care about those things, so I don't run Gentoo. If I
    *did* care about them, then Gentoo would be a better choice.

    Sure, you *can* do those things with Ubuntu, with a whole lot more work,
    but why?

    > I have made my views on distro hell very clear. It fragments the Linux
    > skill sets. This is not open to debate. It is a fact. See "boycottnovel"
    > for a glaringly obvious example.



    obvious of what, for what?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFHhT6Rd90bcYOAWPYRAkaYAKDVito7wP9ZN2nMWHrOVN h3FYQ6WwCgms9j
    vIIq0RlKKBQyM6N90mUyRZw=
    =qb35
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    --
    Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
    "Black holes are where God divided by zero".

  10. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Kier writes:

    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:05:17 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Kier writes:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>>>> Tom Shelton writes:
    >>>
    >>>>> > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?
    >>>>
    >>>> It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    >>>> nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    >>>> building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    >>>> system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    >>>> maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    >>>> like the gentoo way of doing things.
    >>>
    >>> Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according to
    >>> him, all distros are the same.

    >>
    >> Nothing he does above can not be done with Ubuntu.

    >
    > You compile all your Ubuntu apps from source, do you?


    Can you read and understand even the most basic things without thinking
    it is a confrontational attack? You are entering the Mark Kent
    zone. Stay out.

    Where the **** did I say I compiled all my apps from source?

    You can however, if you wish, do just that.

  11. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Jim Richardson writes:

    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:05:17 +0100,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Kier writes:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Jan 9, 12:35Â*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>>>> Tom Shelton writes:
    >>>
    >>>>> > Good for him... Â*Gentoo rocks!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?
    >>>>
    >>>> It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    >>>> nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    >>>> building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    >>>> system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    >>>> maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    >>>> like the gentoo way of doing things.
    >>>
    >>> Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according to
    >>> him, all distros are the same.

    >>
    >> Nothing he does above can not be done with Ubuntu.
    >>

    >
    > emerge world
    >
    >
    > Ubuntu is nice, but if you want to recompile everything from source, you
    > have your work cut out for you. It's easy (if time consuming) to do so
    > with Gentoo.
    >
    >
    > Ubuntu is very new user friendly, Gentoo, not so much...
    >
    > Gentoo allows you to *easily* compile things with only the options you
    > want. So you can change to say, a new audio subsystem (like OSS vs Alsa)
    > with a simple flag in the system conf. That's an app by app change with
    > Ubuntu.
    >
    > Now me? I don't care about those things, so I don't run Gentoo. If I
    > *did* care about them, then Gentoo would be a better choice.
    >
    > Sure, you *can* do those things with Ubuntu, with a whole lot more work,
    > but why?


    Because you want to?

    >
    >> I have made my views on distro hell very clear. It fragments the Linux
    >> skill sets. This is not open to debate. It is a fact. See "boycottnovel"
    >> for a glaringly obvious example.

    >
    >
    > obvious of what, for what?


    Not so obvious for some it seems.

  12. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    chrisv wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>>> Tom Shelton writes:

    >>
    >>>> > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!
    >>>>
    >>>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    >>> nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    >>> building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    >>> system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    >>> maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    >>> like the gentoo way of doing things.

    >>
    >>Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according to
    >>him, all distros are the same.

    >
    > Yet he hates the fact that he must chose one from many.


    According to Quack, Debian=Ubuntu. This is rather like saying that SuSE
    Linux=Slackware.

    From the OED: "Equals" means
    Having the same quantity, measure, or value as another.
    Mathematics: Being the same or identical to in value.
    Showing or having no variance in proportion, structure, or appearance.

    Obviously saying Debian=Ubuntu is *wrong*.
    Ubuntu is *derived* from Debian, it is *not* Debian.
    Just as SuSE Linux was *based* on Slackware, it is *not* Slackware.

    But it seems Quack doesn't know the difference between "derived from"
    & "equals".

    --
    Windows free for 10 years!
    Kubuntu Linux 7.10 64bit
    PCLinuxOS 2007

  13. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Hadron wrote:

    > Tom Shelton writes:
    >
    >> On Jan 9, 4:25*am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> The Linux Project: Gentoo revisited
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> | In conclusion, I humbly apologize to the Gentoo Linux community for
    >>> | giving you such a bad rap in previous articles. I was wrong. Gentoo is
    >>> | lots of fun, probably more fun than should be allowed. As Linux
    >>> | distributions go, it is surely not the worst. That would be Yoper.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.opednews.com/articles/lif...e_linux_projec...
    >>>

    >>
    >> Good for him... Gentoo rocks!

    >
    > How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?


    Gentoo is the Ultimate McDonalds! You literally have it your way... If you
    need a small install for a 128meg USB key... if you need a full blown
    desktop... if you need a dedicated server or server farm... if you need a
    power efficient install for your laptop... You can do it.

    In regards to Ubuntu, your options aren't so great. However, Ubuntu is a
    most excellent distribution none the less.



    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  14. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    In article ,
    Hadron wrote:
    > > Good for him... Gentoo rocks!

    >
    > How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?


    Say you are at work. Someone walks up to your desk, and hands you a
    thumb drive with a file on it. Say, its the source to a diagram they
    made with Dia, and the want to show you something. You don't have Dia
    installed. You don't even have GNOME.

    On Ubuntu, you go to your favorite package manager, add Dia, and it gets
    downloaded and installed. It takes a few minutes, installing Dia, plus
    various other things like some GNOME stuff that it uses. (I think it is
    a GNOME thing...if I misremember, it doesn't affect the point of this
    post, so no need to nit pick).

    After a few minutes, you are back to work, looking at that diagram. So,
    with Ubunutu, there is nothing to interrupt another boring day at work.

    On Gentoo, you tell it to install Dia, and it goes and gets the source
    and compiles it. And it gets a bunch of other source. And compiles it.
    It takes a long time. If your timing was good, it is lunch time now.
    You and your coworker can go to lunch. And catch a movie. And realize
    you really like each other and go have a one-night stand. Tomorrow,
    when you get back to the office, Dia might have finished installing.

    By using Gentoo instead of Ubuntu, you get a pleasant lunch, a movie,
    and sex. You don't have to spend as many hours at work doing boring
    work.

    (I exaggerate *slightly*, but the above is the essence of why the people
    I know who used to use Gentoo at work no longer do so).

    --
    --Tim Smith

  15. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:05:17 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Kier writes:
    >>>
    >>>> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:03:23 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Jan 9, 12:35*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>>>>> Tom Shelton writes:
    >>>>
    >>>>>> > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It doesn't really, it comes down to personal preference... Ubuntu is
    >>>>> nice, I dual boot one of my 3 gentoo boxes with Kubuntu. I like
    >>>>> building the system from source. I like the fact that a base gentoo
    >>>>> system is nothing more then a kernel and the basic tools to boot and
    >>>>> maintain the system - there is no gui installed by default. I just
    >>>>> like the gentoo way of doing things.
    >>>>
    >>>> Hadron doesn't like it when anyone says thier distro rocks - according
    >>>> to him, all distros are the same.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing he does above can not be done with Ubuntu.

    >>
    >> You compile all your Ubuntu apps from source, do you?

    >
    > Can you read and understand even the most basic things without thinking
    > it is a confrontational attack? You are entering the Mark Kent
    > zone. Stay out.
    >
    > Where the **** did I say I compiled all my apps from source?
    >
    > You can however, if you wish, do just that.


    Really? And when you compile them does the package manager maintain them and
    provide patches, updates when available? Does it maintain dependencies?

    Or is this compiling done outside ubuntu's package manager?

    Can you continually update your ubuntu system FOREVER without upgrading to a
    new ubuntu release? You can on Gentoo. There's no such thing as a "release"
    with Gentoo. Once installed, you maintain your machine by upgrading
    regularly ( I do it bi-weekly on my machines). They've been running for
    years.... no dependency problems, none at all.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  16. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> > Good for him... Gentoo rocks!

    >>
    >> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?

    >
    > Say you are at work. Someone walks up to your desk, and hands you a
    > thumb drive with a file on it. Say, its the source to a diagram they
    > made with Dia, and the want to show you something. You don't have Dia
    > installed. You don't even have GNOME.
    >
    > On Ubuntu, you go to your favorite package manager, add Dia, and it gets
    > downloaded and installed. It takes a few minutes, installing Dia, plus
    > various other things like some GNOME stuff that it uses. (I think it is
    > a GNOME thing...if I misremember, it doesn't affect the point of this
    > post, so no need to nit pick).
    >
    > After a few minutes, you are back to work, looking at that diagram. So,
    > with Ubunutu, there is nothing to interrupt another boring day at work.
    >
    > On Gentoo, you tell it to install Dia, and it goes and gets the source
    > and compiles it. And it gets a bunch of other source. And compiles it.
    > It takes a long time. If your timing was good, it is lunch time now.
    > You and your coworker can go to lunch. And catch a movie. And realize
    > you really like each other and go have a one-night stand. Tomorrow,
    > when you get back to the office, Dia might have finished installing.
    >
    > By using Gentoo instead of Ubuntu, you get a pleasant lunch, a movie,
    > and sex. You don't have to spend as many hours at work doing boring
    > work.
    >
    > (I exaggerate *slightly*, but the above is the essence of why the people
    > I know who used to use Gentoo at work no longer do so).
    >


    Bull****. You exaggerate *greatly*. I just checked two of my desktops, both
    running KDE. Both report no dependencies required to install dia. Just
    installed it on my Big desktop. 4M of code dragged off my ISP's mirror at
    high speed...

    4 minutes later I've got DIA installed. Not even long enough to get a
    coffee.

    You'll have to try harder to bad mouth Gentoo.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  17. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Hadron wrote:

    > Jerry McBride writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tom Shelton writes:
    >>>
    >>>> On Jan 9, 4:25*am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>>> The Linux Project: Gentoo revisited
    >>>>>
    >>>>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>>> | In conclusion, I humbly apologize to the Gentoo Linux community for
    >>>>> | giving you such a bad rap in previous articles. I was wrong. Gentoo
    >>>>> | is lots of fun, probably more fun than should be allowed. As Linux
    >>>>> | distributions go, it is surely not the worst. That would be Yoper.
    >>>>> `----
    >>>>>
    >>>>>

    http://www.opednews.com/articles/lif...e_linux_projec...
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Good for him... Gentoo rocks!
    >>>
    >>> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?

    >>
    >> Gentoo is the Ultimate McDonalds! You literally have it your way... If
    >> you need a small install for a 128meg USB key... if you need a full blown
    >> desktop... if you need a dedicated server or server farm... if you need a
    >> power efficient install for your laptop... You can do it.
    >>
    >> In regards to Ubuntu, your options aren't so great. However, Ubuntu is a
    >> most excellent distribution none the less.

    >
    > Why are the options not so great?
    >
    > I recently paired down a debian etch for a mail server : very
    > lightweight indeed. If I want to I can get all sources and build the lot
    > too. Its also the case with Ubuntu.


    Really? How will you manage those compiled packages? What happens when you
    have to update, yet some other packages rely on the old version? Can
    you "slot" a newer version of the package as you can on gentoo?


    [whining rant about "too much choice" deleted. We've heard this rubbish
    before]

    > Gentoo strikes me as being there for nerds to show off about and get a
    > warm fuzzy feeling that their system is compiled to be optimised for
    > their processor and RAM configuration. Most of us know that that kind of
    > optimisation rarely leads to any noticeable speed/stability increases.


    Doesn't it? How long does it take you to start your version of OpenOffice? I
    suppose it has support for ALL languages compiled in, as well as
    the "kitchen sink" of support for all kinds of things you'll never use?

    When you install a package on Gentoo you can have the package compile
    support for ONLY the packages you use.

    Tweaking optimisation flags?? Yep...
    GentooPenguin$ grep CFLAGS /etc/make.conf
    CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

    This is quite common...

    It's OK to tweak, though sometimes you'll end up going slower if you don't
    know what you are doing. I suggest you don't use Gentoo, Quark.

    Warm fuzzy feelings? Yep... knowing that I have the world of linux apps at
    my fingertips, just an "emerge" away.... that dependencies are all handled
    for me, and that I don't have the bother of having to install a new
    updated "version" of my distro, because such things are done differently on
    Gentoo, that I've got one of the best repositories of documentation in the
    Linux world to peruse at my leisure...

    Nerds? Gentoo is for linux geeks, not for newbies.... so what??? Is that
    supposed to be a criticism? Should I be forced into a "universal distro"
    that doesn't have all the features I love about Gentoo and shun distros
    that don't have them?

    Choice, as always, is good. Everyone has different requirements, as always.

    Quark of course believes that everyone should use linux just like him.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  18. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Jerry McBride writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Shelton writes:
    >>
    >>> On Jan 9, 4:25*am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>> The Linux Project: Gentoo revisited
    >>>>
    >>>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>> | In conclusion, I humbly apologize to the Gentoo Linux community for
    >>>> | giving you such a bad rap in previous articles. I was wrong. Gentoo is
    >>>> | lots of fun, probably more fun than should be allowed. As Linux
    >>>> | distributions go, it is surely not the worst. That would be Yoper.
    >>>> `----
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.opednews.com/articles/lif...e_linux_projec...
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Good for him... Gentoo rocks!

    >>
    >> How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?

    >
    > Gentoo is the Ultimate McDonalds! You literally have it your way... If you
    > need a small install for a 128meg USB key... if you need a full blown
    > desktop... if you need a dedicated server or server farm... if you need a
    > power efficient install for your laptop... You can do it.
    >
    > In regards to Ubuntu, your options aren't so great. However, Ubuntu is a
    > most excellent distribution none the less.


    Why are the options not so great?

    I recently paired down a debian etch for a mail server : very
    lightweight indeed. If I want to I can get all sources and build the lot
    too. Its also the case with Ubuntu.

    Nothing can convince me that more than 500 distros is anything other
    than detrimental to the Linux cause. This is the crux of the matter and
    why I always say "prove to me why having that distro is advantageous"
    when some fan boy starts flag waving over some half arsed minority
    distro (ok, gentoo isn't that but you get my meaning).

    Gentoo strikes me as being there for nerds to show off about and get a
    warm fuzzy feeling that their system is compiled to be optimised for
    their processor and RAM configuration. Most of us know that that kind of
    optimisation rarely leads to any noticeable speed/stability increases.

  19. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Jerry McBride writes:

    *snip*

    ps, must you include the "reply-to" and the "Mail-Copies-To" headers?

    You're the only one who does and it prompts some news readers to email
    copies which is unnecessary and something I personally don't like to
    do. Your choice obviously, but it's a tad irritating to have to
    strip/manually ignore those headers.

  20. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Well, I've switched from Debian to Gentoo long ago
    > (my Debian got entangled in some sort of dependency
    > snarl some years back), and while it's quirky, annoying
    > in spots when the upstream donor does a major change
    > (the X switchover gave me headaches for awhile, and
    > rosegarden/jackd/fluidsynth is still rather, well, fluid
    > about generating audio), and runs into an occasional build
    > problem, I've had no real show stoppers thus far.


    That's quite an impressive endorsement of Gentoo Linux.




+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast