Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises - Linux ; Tim Smith wrote: > On Gentoo, you tell it to install Dia, and it goes and gets the source > and compiles it. And it gets a bunch of other source. And compiles > it. It takes a long time. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > On Gentoo, you tell it to install Dia, and it goes and gets the source
    > and compiles it. And it gets a bunch of other source. And compiles
    > it. It takes a long time. If your timing was good, it is lunch time
    > now. You and your coworker can go to lunch. And catch a movie. And
    > realize you really like each other and go have a one-night stand.

    Speaking from experience? Did she whisper GPL phrases in your ear while
    working your zipper?

  2. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    On Jan 9, 9:34*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    > > Well, I've switched from Debian to Gentoo long ago
    > > (my Debian got entangled in some sort of dependency
    > > snarl some years back), and while it's quirky, annoying
    > > in spots when the upstream donor does a major change
    > > (the X switchover gave me headaches for awhile, and
    > > rosegarden/jackd/fluidsynth is still rather, well, fluid
    > > about generating audio), and runs into an occasional build
    > > problem, I've had no real show stoppers thus far.

    > That's quite an impressive endorsement of Gentoo Linux.

    Gentoo is sort of geeky, but it allows for control. I like it, but
    that doesn't mean I think it's for everyone.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  3. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Tom Shelton writes:

    > On Jan 9, 9:34┬*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >> > Well, I've switched from Debian to Gentoo long ago
    >> > (my Debian got entangled in some sort of dependency
    >> > snarl some years back), and while it's quirky, annoying
    >> > in spots when the upstream donor does a major change
    >> > (the X switchover gave me headaches for awhile, and
    >> > rosegarden/jackd/fluidsynth is still rather, well, fluid
    >> > about generating audio), and runs into an occasional build
    >> > problem, I've had no real show stoppers thus far.

    >> That's quite an impressive endorsement of Gentoo Linux.

    > Gentoo is sort of geeky, but it allows for control. I like it, but
    > that doesn't mean I think it's for everyone.

    Fair enough comment.

  4. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    On Jan 9, 9:02*pm, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    >
    > *Hadron wrote:
    > > > Good for him... *Gentoo rocks!

    > > How does it rock any more or any differently from, say, Ubuntu?

    > Say you are at work. *Someone walks up to your desk, and hands you a
    > thumb drive with a file on it. *Say, its the source to a diagram they
    > made with Dia, and the want to show you something. *You don't have Dia
    > installed. *You don't even have GNOME.
    >
    > On Ubuntu, you go to your favorite package manager, add Dia, and it gets
    > downloaded and installed. *It takes a few minutes, installing Dia, plus
    > various other things like some GNOME stuff that it uses. *(I think it is
    > a GNOME thing...if I misremember, it doesn't affect the point of this
    > post, so no need to nit pick).
    >
    > After a few minutes, you are back to work, looking at that diagram. *So,
    > with Ubunutu, there is nothing to interrupt another boring day at work. *
    >
    > On Gentoo, you tell it to install Dia, and it goes and gets the source
    > and compiles it. *And it gets a bunch of other source. *And compiles it. *
    > It takes a long time. *If your timing was good, it is lunch time now. *
    > You and your coworker can go to lunch. *And catch a movie. *And realize
    > you really like each other and go have a one-night stand. *Tomorrow,
    > when you get back to the office, Dia might have finished installing.
    >
    > By using Gentoo instead of Ubuntu, you get a pleasant lunch, a movie,
    > and sex. *You don't have to spend as many hours at work doing boring
    > work.
    >
    > (I exaggerate *slightly*, but the above is the essence of why the people
    > I know who used to use Gentoo at work no longer do so). *

    They stopped using Gentoo because they had a pleasant lunch, movie,
    and sex? Sounds to me like they have their priorities backwards. I
    will now go install Gentoo at work. Probably the best Linux advocacy
    post here...ever.

  5. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Hadron wrote:

    > Jerry McBride writes:
    >
    > *snip*
    >
    > ps, must you include the "reply-to" and the "Mail-Copies-To" headers?
    >
    > You're the only one who does and it prompts some news readers to email
    > copies which is unnecessary and something I personally don't like to
    > do. Your choice obviously, but it's a tad irritating to have to
    > strip/manually ignore those headers.

    Sorry... is this one better?

    Honestly, didn't know I had them turned on.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  6. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Jerry McBride writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry McBride writes:
    >>
    >> *snip*
    >>
    >> ps, must you include the "reply-to" and the "Mail-Copies-To" headers?
    >>
    >> You're the only one who does and it prompts some news readers to email
    >> copies which is unnecessary and something I personally don't like to
    >> do. Your choice obviously, but it's a tad irritating to have to
    >> strip/manually ignore those headers.

    > Sorry... is this one better?

    Yup.

    > Honestly, didn't know I had them turned on.

    No big deal. I suspect I could have configured Gnus to ignore when
    following up to a usenet post, but just thought I'd mention it.

    --
    El primer a├▒o es el dif├*cil, todos los dem├ís ya son iguales.

  7. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    So anyway, it was like, 05:10 CET Jan 10 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Hadron was all like, "Dude,

    > ps, must you include the "reply-to" and the "Mail-Copies-To"
    > headers?

    As you yourself happen to be so fond of nitpicking, might I point out
    that "reply-to" doesn't affect followups, only e-mail replies to the
    poster? At least I've not yet had anyone complain about my using that
    particular header.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    Linux 2.6.23.12 x86_64 GNU/Linux Registered Linux user #261729

  8. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Johan Lindquist wrote:

    > So anyway, it was like, 05:10 CET Jan 10 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    > Hadron was all like, "Dude,
    >
    >> ps, must you include the "reply-to" and the "Mail-Copies-To"
    >> headers?

    > As you yourself happen to be so fond of nitpicking, might I point out
    > that "reply-to" doesn't affect followups, only e-mail replies to the
    > poster? At least I've not yet had anyone complain about my using that
    > particular header.

    As you should not

    "Mail-Copies-To:" is the culprit
    --
    Windows isn't unstable. It's spontaneous.

  9. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:46:37 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:

    >>> Nothing he does above can not be done with Ubuntu.

    >> You compile all your Ubuntu apps from source, do you?

    > Can you read and understand even the most basic things without thinking
    > it is a confrontational attack? You are entering the Mark Kent
    > zone. Stay out.

    Get lost.

    > Where the **** did I say I compiled all my apps from source?

    Gentoo is primarily known for being a source distro. Is Ubuntu a source
    distro? No. So, they are *not* the same. They do not do the same things.

    > You can however, if you wish, do just that.

    But who does? Hardly anyone.

    --
    Kier

  10. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Johan Lindquist writes:

    > So anyway, it was like, 05:10 CET Jan 10 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    > Hadron was all like, "Dude,
    >
    >> ps, must you include the "reply-to" and the "Mail-Copies-To"
    >> headers?

    > As you yourself happen to be so fond of nitpicking, might I point out
    > that "reply-to" doesn't affect followups, only e-mail replies to the
    > poster? At least I've not yet had anyone complain about my using that
    > particular header.

    There is no need, and it was the Mail-Copies-To which was the offender
    for Gnus. Why you would want to make a fight about a perfectly polite
    request is beyond me. He IS the only one to have that particular header
    in my experience and has, thoughtfully, acknowledged that and removed
    it.

  11. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Kier writes:

    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:46:37 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Kier writes:

    >>> You compile all your Ubuntu apps from source, do you?

    >> Can you read and understand even the most basic things without thinking
    >> it is a confrontational attack? You are entering the Mark Kent
    >> zone. Stay out.

    > Get lost.

    Good come back Brains.

    >> Where the **** did I say I compiled all my apps from source?

    > Gentoo is primarily known for being a source distro. Is Ubuntu a source
    > distro? No. So, they are *not* the same. They do not do the same
    > things.

    Yes they can do the same things.

    >> You can however, if you wish, do just that.

    > But who does? Hardly anyone.

    But you can. It's not a difficult concept.

  12. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Hadron wrote:

    > Johan Lindquist writes:
    >
    >> So anyway, it was like, 05:10 CET Jan 10 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> Hadron was all like, "Dude,
    >>
    >>> ps, must you include the "reply-to" and the "Mail-Copies-To"
    >>> headers?

    >> As you yourself happen to be so fond of nitpicking, might I point out
    >> that "reply-to" doesn't affect followups, only e-mail replies to the
    >> poster? At least I've not yet had anyone complain about my using that
    >> particular header.

    > There is no need, and it was the Mail-Copies-To which was the offender
    > for Gnus. Why you would want to make a fight about a perfectly polite
    > request is beyond me. He IS the only one to have that particular header
    > in my experience and has, thoughtfully, acknowledged that and removed
    > it.

    He never was the only one. But the, you would not know

    There are always some on usenet trying that dumb stunt

    Most of the time they answer "that they want to know when they get answered"
    when questioned about that header.

    Net effect: They don't get answered, usually
    --
    It's not about, 'Where do you want to go today?' It's more like,
    'Where am I allowed to go today?'

  13. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:46:37 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    < snip Hadron Quark lunacy >

    >>> Where the **** did I say I compiled all my apps from source?

    >> Gentoo is primarily known for being a source distro. Is Ubuntu a source
    >> distro? No. So, they are *not* the same. They do not do the same
    >> things.

    > Yes they can do the same things.

    Good. Now show us where you can keep the dependencies in Ubuntu when
    compiling everything yourself

    >>> You can however, if you wish, do just that.

    >> But who does? Hardly anyone.

    > But you can. It's not a difficult concept.

    Yes, you can. It is not meant for compiling the whole distro, though. For
    that you need a setup similar to the distro maintainers.

    In Gentoo, you don't
    --
    There are two kinds of people in this world: the kind that divides
    everybody into two kinds of people, and everybody else

  14. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:50:04 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:

    >>> Can you read and understand even the most basic things without thinking
    >>> it is a confrontational attack? You are entering the Mark Kent
    >>> zone. Stay out.

    >> Get lost.

    > Good come back Brains.

    Get lost.

    >>> Where the **** did I say I compiled all my apps from source?

    >> Gentoo is primarily known for being a source distro. Is Ubuntu a source
    >> distro? No. So, they are *not* the same. They do not do the same
    >> things.

    > Yes they can do the same things.

    @can@ do, maybe. Bust mostly won't, since no one uses Ubuntu to compile
    everything from source.

    >>> You can however, if you wish, do just that.

    >> But who does? Hardly anyone.

    > But you can. It's not a difficult concept.

    Try it and see how it compartes to Gentoo. Ubuntu and similar distros are
    designed so that the average user doesn't have to go compiling anything.
    That's the point.

    You may want a 'one size fits all' Linux, but I and many, many others do
    not.

    While the number of competing Linux dostrso may slightly dilute the spread
    of talent available, freedom and flexibility is an acceptable trade-off.

    --
    Kier

  15. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    Kier writes:

    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:50:04 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes they can do the same things.

    > @can@ do, maybe. Bust mostly won't, since no one uses Ubuntu to compile
    > everything from source.

    No one? Are you sure?

    But you CAN.

    >>> But who does? Hardly anyone.

    >> But you can. It's not a difficult concept.

    > Try it and see how it compartes to Gentoo. Ubuntu and similar distros are
    > designed so that the average user doesn't have to go compiling anything.
    > That's the point.
    >
    > You may want a 'one size fits all' Linux, but I and many, many others do
    > not.
    >
    > While the number of competing Linux dostrso may slightly dilute the spread
    > of talent available, freedom and flexibility is an acceptable
    > trade-off.

    In some cases.

  16. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    So anyway, it was like, 16:49 CET Jan 10 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Hadron was all like, "Dude,
    > Johan Lindquist writes:
    >> So anyway, it was like, 05:10 CET Jan 10 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> Hadron was all like, "Dude,

    >>> ps, must you include the "reply-to" and the "Mail-Copies-To"
    >>> headers?

    >> As you yourself happen to be so fond of nitpicking, might I point
    >> out that "reply-to" doesn't affect followups, only e-mail replies
    >> to the poster? At least I've not yet had anyone complain about my
    >> using that particular header.

    > There is no need, and it was the Mail-Copies-To which was the
    > offender for Gnus. Why you would want to make a fight about a
    > perfectly polite request is beyond me.

    You are now calling someone pointing out an error you made a "fight"?

    > He IS the only one to have that particular header in my experience
    > and has, thoughtfully, acknowledged that and removed it.

    You mentioned two headers, one was in error. I pointed this out to
    you, end of story. It's really very simple, and you didn't even have
    to post a follow-up to acknowledge it.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    17:16:21 up 1 day, 27 min, 2 users, load average: 0.77, 0.75, 0.77

  17. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    * Tom Shelton fired off this tart reply:

    > On Jan 9, 9:34*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >> > Well, I've switched from Debian to Gentoo long ago
    >> > (my Debian got entangled in some sort of dependency
    >> > snarl some years back), and while it's quirky, annoying
    >> > in spots when the upstream donor does a major change
    >> > (the X switchover gave me headaches for awhile, and
    >> > rosegarden/jackd/fluidsynth is still rather, well, fluid
    >> > about generating audio), and runs into an occasional build
    >> > problem, I've had no real show stoppers thus far.

    >> That's quite an impressive endorsement of Gentoo Linux.

    > Gentoo is sort of geeky, but it allows for control. I like it, but
    > that doesn't mean I think it's for everyone.

    I tried Gentoo for a long while back on my old "main machine". I liked
    it, but did a few things wrong and eventually had version issues where I
    was never sure I was updating to the latest. I've since retired that
    machine, though I've rebuilt it with Debian with the aim of making a
    "subversion" box.

    I think both Debian and Gentoo rock, in different ways.

    By the way, Tom, I've been updating a bunch of my favorite fluxbox
    themes. Fluxbox now supports all six title-bar buttons, but some themes
    don't yet have corresponding pixmaps, so I've fixed up quite a few of
    them.

    Also, I've got a Python program (almost done) that reorganizes and
    reformats a directory of theme.cfg files, along with some options.

    Where do /you/ think is the best place to post this stuff?

    --
    The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.

  18. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    * Jerry McBride fired off this tart reply:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry McBride writes:
    >>
    >> ps, must you include the "reply-to" and the "Mail-Copies-To" headers?
    >>
    >> You're the only one who does and it prompts some news readers to email
    >> copies which is unnecessary and something I personally don't like to
    >> do. Your choice obviously, but it's a tad irritating to have to
    >> strip/manually ignore those headers.

    > Sorry... is this one better?
    > Honestly, didn't know I had them turned on.

    I simply just hit the 'n' key in slrn. No biggie.

    --
    The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.

  19. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    * cc fired off this tart reply:

    > On Jan 9, 9:02*pm, Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> By using Gentoo instead of Ubuntu, you get a pleasant lunch, a movie,
    >> and sex. *You don't have to spend as many hours at work doing boring
    >> work.

    > They stopped using Gentoo because they had a pleasant lunch, movie,
    > and sex? Sounds to me like they have their priorities backwards. I
    > will now go install Gentoo at work. Probably the best Linux advocacy
    > post here...ever.

    Nah. The Windows guys get the same benefit with Windows Update.

    --
    The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.

  20. Re: Harsh Gentoo Reviewer Apologises

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Wed, 9 Jan 2008 23:34:40 -0500
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I've switched from Debian to Gentoo long ago
    >> (my Debian got entangled in some sort of dependency
    >> snarl some years back), and while it's quirky, annoying
    >> in spots when the upstream donor does a major change
    >> (the X switchover gave me headaches for awhile, and
    >> rosegarden/jackd/fluidsynth is still rather, well, fluid
    >> about generating audio), and runs into an occasional build
    >> problem, I've had no real show stoppers thus far.

    > That's quite an impressive endorsement of Gentoo Linux.

    Of course it is. "Everyone" "knows" that Windows Vista
    "Ultimate" Edition is "better", has "more" "functionality",
    and "allows" the "user" to "more" "efficiently" "use"
    "his" desktop.

    :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast