[News] [Rival] Windows Vista Rootkit Still Undetectable by Most 'Security' Apps - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Rootkit Still Undetectable by Most 'Security' Apps - Linux ; Excuse me sir: there's a rootkit in your master boot record ,----[ Quote ] | Every version of Windows, including Vista, is vulnerable to the rootkit. `---- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/09/mbr_rootkit/ Yesterday: Patch Tuesday brings quiet though serious start to 2008 ,----[ Quote ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Rootkit Still Undetectable by Most 'Security' Apps

    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/09/mbr_rootkit/

    Yesterday:

    Patch Tuesday brings quiet though serious start to 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft wasn't joking when it classified as critical one of the
    | vulnerabilities addressed by this month's security updates. A flaw in TCP/IP
    | processing can be exploited by sending maliciously crafted packets, giving
    | the attacker complete control of the targeted system. *
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16016/1054/

    Related:

    Does antivirus have a future?

    | Peter Gutmann, a researcher at the University of Auckland who presented the
    | results of a study of the commercial market for malware at August's Defcon,
    | estimates that a good virus programmer can make as much as $200,000 a year
    | (here, a 660KB PDF). Alan Cox, an open-source security researcher, points out
    | some additional possibilities. One is malware designed to sit under today's
    | virtual machines. A proof-of-concept paper proposing such an attack, called
    | Subvirt (PDF), appeared last year, written by three researchers from
    | Microsoft and two from the University of Michigan. A presentation at last
    | year's Black Hat security conference from Joanna Rutkowska, a researcher at
    | Coseinc, a Singapore-based security company, covered a much leaner attack she
    | called Blue Pill, which targets the virtualisation built into Windows Vista
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | and into current processors from both AMD and Intel. * * * * *
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...gysection.spam

    Predicting the demise of antivirus apps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "It's the beginning of the end for antivirus," says Robin Bloor, partner
    | at consulting firm Hurwitz & Associates, who adds he began his
    | "antivirus is dead" campaign a year ago and feels even more strongly
    | about it today. "I'm going to keep beating this drum. The approach
    | antivirus vendors take is completely wrong. The criminals working to
    | release these viruses against computer users are testing against
    | antivirus software. They know what works and how to create variants."
    `----

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2572C3000FD867

  2. Re: Windows Vista Rootkit Still Undetectable by Most 'Security' Apps

    On 9 Jan, 15:14, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Excuse me sir: there's a rootkit in your master boot record

    > "It's the beginning of the end for antivirus," says Robin Bloor, partner

    Ewic oh ewic, where is your withering repost ... ewic .. ???

+ Reply to Thread