[News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux) - Linux ; Flipping the Linux switch: Package management 101 ,----[ Quote ] | Package management systems are often a source of confusion for new Linux | users, but they're essential to keeping your system up to date and working | the way ...

  1. [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    Flipping the Linux switch: Package management 101

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Package management systems are often a source of confusion for new Linux
    | users, but they're essential to keeping your system up to date and working
    | the way you want. Fortunately, through the use of front-ends and installers,
    | it's easy to build a system that's lean and fast, performs a specific task,
    | or simply takes care of itself.
    `----

    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01...anagement-101/

    Diamond Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I registered the domain names DiamondLinux.com and DiamondLinux.org. I think
    | Diamond Linux is a great name — a prestigious name, packed full of all kinds
    | of positive connotations.
    `----

    http://www.computerbob.com/guides/diamond_linux.php

    Related:

    Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Perhaps next time the author might think about what they're
    | saying...because limiting the number of distros out there is
    | absolutely NOT the way to go to accomplish anything other
    | than limiting innovation.
    `----

    http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/arc...ood-Thing.html

    Windows: My eXPerience

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In this article I will not pretend to be stupid, mimicing those "my first
    | week with Linux" pieces. If I write something about XP surprises me, it will
    | be real, and if I seem stupid, that will be real, too. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I have some experience installing operating systems (mostly Linux) so I think
    | I know what I talk about here:
    |
    | The XP installer is ok-to-suckish.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | A restart because of the updates? Mmmmkey.
    |
    | Strange: The reboot is failing. Apparently Explorer.exe refuses to die. After
    | a few "End it now"s it does end.
    `----

    http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/stories/BBS45.html

    Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
    | for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
    | opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
    | immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop. *
    |
    | I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!
    `----

    http://linux.sys-con.com/read/458943_p.htm

    In evaluating operating systems, Williams overlooked pitfalls of Linux’s
    competitors

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When I installed Ubuntu 7.10, a common distribution of Linux, last Wednesday,
    | I had to download exactly one driver. If I had installed Windows XP or Vista,
    | I would have found it necessary to download many more. If I had installed Mac
    | OS X, and violated the license to do so as Barrett seems to have done, I
    | might have gotten it to work as well with rather a lot of effort, but quite
    | possibly not. * *
    `----

    http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/22384

    Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows - 40 Minutes
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Linux - 2 Minutes
    |
    | While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
    | turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
    | well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
    | Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
    | number. * *
    `----

    http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69

    How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1. “First, insert the Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 CD into your cup holder.”
    |
    | 2. “Press the power button on your computer, and hold it until it shuts off.”
    |
    | 3. “Good. Now press the power button again.”
    |
    | 4. “We’re going to see some white on black text fly by, please don’t read it
    | * * to me.”
    |
    | 5. “Let me know when you’ve got a screen that says Ubuntu in brown and
    | * * orange.”
    |
    | 6. “Ok, press the ‘Enter’ key.”
    `----

    http://www.fsckin.com/2007/09/28/how...nical-support/

    Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
    | installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
    | systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
    | the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
    | hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
    | there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
    | applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
    | more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with. * * *
    `----

    http://scitech.teambio.org/2007/08/1...all-is-easier/

    Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and
    maintain

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
    | where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
    | wanted to test it.
    `----

    http://www.go2linux.org/why-linux-is...r-than-windows

    Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!
    `----

    http://www.utopiatheory.com/index.php?id=11

    [Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
    | people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
    | drive for a dual-boot. *I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
    | beta, it works very well and is very stable. *So, if you are running a
    | computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
    | solution for you. * *
    `----

    http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html

  2. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another DistroLaunched (Diamond Linux)

    [H]omer wrote:

    > I've just spent the last *three days* (yes, it really took that long)

    It took me exactly 30 minutes and two to install XP Pro with SP3.
    Restoring an older image would have taken less than 15 minutes. Add
    another 25-30 mins to install Office 2003, Flash, PDF reader and a few
    other utilities.

    > performing my once-in-a-blue-moon update to my Billy Box; a marathon
    > effort involving a visit to about 100 software vendors' websites, as

    *LOL*

    > many reboots, and countless hours attempting to resolve a litany of
    > software issues. In the end, I gave up and simply restored the system
    > from a disk image to a known "good" state ... "good" being a comparative
    > term.

    You are an idiot and a liar.

  3. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer SW wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    > [H]omer wrote:
    >

    >> I've just spent the last *three days* (yes, it really took that long)

    > It took me exactly 30 minutes and two to install XP Pro with SP3.
    > Restoring an older image would have taken less than 15 minutes. Add
    > another 25-30 mins to install Office 2003, Flash, PDF reader and a few
    > other utilities.

    If expee install without apps took you 57 minutes in your fast machine, then
    I have news for you. Linux installs the OS with apps and utils
    and a lot more in 40 minutes. You can try this with Ubuntu, or the
    Knoppix DVD and then go suck eggs for your idiocy.

    The apps are just too numerous to mention. For example, Open Office,
    PDF readers, several window managers, ssh, webserver, xmaxima,
    gimp, gcc, dd, audacity, kontact, k3b, qcad, etc..

    >> performing my once-in-a-blue-moon update to my Billy Box; a marathon
    >> effort involving a visit to about 100 software vendors' websites, as

    > *LOL*

    Yes it is a big laugh isn't it, now that it can be proven
    to management that windummies appear to be spending
    a vast amount of company time having to hunt web ****es
    for micoshaft drivers and updates to get a simple PC working.
    If it were down to me, I wouldn't allow windopw zealots
    anywhere near a PC - I'd get one of the Linux guys
    to wipe it and install the relevant apps from Linux
    repository.

    >> many reboots, and countless hours attempting to resolve a litany of
    >> software issues. In the end, I gave up and simply restored the system
    >> from a disk image to a known "good" state ... "good" being a comparative
    >> term.
    >>

    > You are an idiot and a liar.

    I find you are the liar, idiot and typical gaseous windummy zealotically
    posting on behalf of micoshaft corporation in a Linux newsgroup.

  4. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    7 espoused:
    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer SW wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:
    >
    >> [H]omer wrote:
    >>

    >>> I've just spent the last *three days* (yes, it really took that long)

    >> It took me exactly 30 minutes and two to install XP Pro with SP3.
    >> Restoring an older image would have taken less than 15 minutes. Add
    >> another 25-30 mins to install Office 2003, Flash, PDF reader and a few
    >> other utilities.

    > If expee install without apps took you 57 minutes in your fast machine, then
    > I have news for you. Linux installs the OS with apps and utils
    > and a lot more in 40 minutes. You can try this with Ubuntu, or the
    > Knoppix DVD and then go suck eggs for your idiocy.
    >
    > The apps are just too numerous to mention. For example, Open Office,
    > PDF readers, several window managers, ssh, webserver, xmaxima,
    > gimp, gcc, dd, audacity, kontact, k3b, qcad, etc..

    I have to agree. Taking 1/2 hour just for the OS is truly abysmal.
    Then two or three apps takes a further 1/2 hour... it would take days to
    get most machines usable.

    Debian, on the other hand, is quick and simple, as is Ubuntu, since all
    the packages are in one place, and any configuration issues are
    highlighted as you go along, rather than having to spend hours surfing
    to find things.

    I gave up supporting windows machines here years ago for this very
    problem.

  5. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    SW wrote:
    > [H]omer wrote:
    >

    >> I've just spent the last *three days* (yes, it really took that long)

    It's amusing to see how determined he is to run an OS he claims is crap,
    written by a company he claims is evil. [H]omer puts the [H] in
    [H]ypocrite.

    > It took me exactly 30 minutes and two to install XP Pro with SP3.
    > Restoring an older image would have taken less than 15 minutes. Add
    > another 25-30 mins to install Office 2003, Flash, PDF reader and a few
    > other utilities.

    Modern hardware being as costly as it is, [H]ypocrite is trying to put
    everything on his c.1999 Pentium III system: 5400rpm IDE drive, 256mb
    slow RAM, 32mb GeForce2 video card.

    >> performing my once-in-a-blue-moon update to my Billy Box; a marathon
    >> effort involving a visit to about 100 software vendors' websites, as

    > *LOL*

    25 comic book sites + 25 porn sites + 25 warez sites + 25 shareware sites =
    a [H]omer system.

    >> many reboots, and countless hours attempting to resolve a litany of
    >> software issues. In the end, I gave up and simply restored the system
    >> from a disk image to a known "good" state ... "good" being a
    >> comparative term.
    >>

    > You are an idiot and a liar.

    He's a Linux "advocate"... pretty much the same thing.

  6. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth confirmed - how about just one that works?

    "[H]omer" wrote in message news:2lud55-7f6.ln1@sky.matrix...
    > Talking of "too many installers" ...
    >
    > I've just spent the last *three days* (yes, it really took that long)
    > performing my once-in-a-blue-moon update to my Billy Box; a marathon
    > effort involving a visit to about 100 software vendors' websites, as
    > many reboots, and countless hours attempting to resolve a litany of
    > software issues. In the end, I gave up and simply restored the system
    > from a disk image to a known "good" state ... "good" being a comparative
    > term.

    Big deal. Even if this were true at least it was working after three days.
    Unlike linux where three days later the system is still a unusable pile of
    ****.

    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...243c43a917328c

    i686 LiveCD

    I am (still) working on an installation on a (HP) Compaq nc6230 that I
    started almost 3 days ago. The live cd hangs during the boot process no
    matter which options you give it. The best result I have been able to get to
    was 70% of the boot process using the 'nodetect' option. The error dialog
    received at this stage indicated something was wrong with the boot disk, but
    several burns later I cannot seem to get around this failure. I HAVE been
    able to get a base install completed using the minimal CD and also did a
    quick install under Debian, which (IMO) rules out any issue with the drive.

    Simply put, the liveCD needs work. I am curious as to why this is given the
    age of this post and how old the content on the CD is. Is no one working on
    this anymore? If gentoo hopes to capture some of the linux newbie crowd
    hooked by the live install process in Ubuntu and other live distros, more
    work needs to be done. Perhaps it would be better to stop offering it
    altogether if it's going out with so many problems.

    Anyway, that's my $0.02. Here's hoping I can get my install completed this
    evening.

    what the hell is up with the GUI install this is 100% crap

    i have tryed everything with it & cant get it to install so i have to go
    with an older ISO or what

    this GUI installer gentoo has came out is this is the best that gentoo can
    do??????????????????????????????????

    And yes, the 2007.0 liveCD GUI installer sucks, big time. However, the GUI
    installer on the 2006.1 liveCD I have worked enough to put the system on the
    machine...not well, but it is there.

    I say not well because when the "screensaver" popped up during the install,
    it wiped out all the feedback from the GUI screen. I wound up looking at a
    blank screen, trying to guess when everything was going to be set up and
    finished. After a little over twenty-four hours of the initial booting from
    the CD, I stopped the install.

  7. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched(Diamond Linux)

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > I have to agree. Taking 1/2 hour just for the OS is truly abysmal.

    Kubuntu took 42 minutes including the update of 89 packages. That's
    good, right? Six more CUPS updates this morning took less than a minute.

    > Then two or three apps takes a further 1/2 hour... it would take days to
    > get most machines usable.

    I didn't say two or three apps took 30 minutes to install. Try reading
    instead of yapping.

    sean@zohor:~$ dpkg --list
    | Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
    uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Description
    ii acpi 0.09-3ubuntu1 displays information on ACPI devices
    ii acpi-support 0.103 a collection of useful events for acpi
    ii acpid 1.0.4-5ubuntu8 Utilities for using ACPI power management
    ii adduser 3.103ubuntu1 Add and remove users and groups
    ii adept 2.1.3ubuntu17. package management suite for KDE
    ii adept-batch 2.1.3ubuntu17. command line install for Adept

    skip 914 packages

    ii xvidtune 1:1.0.1-0ubunt X client - xvidtune
    ii xvinfo 1:1.0.1-0ubunt XVideo information
    ii xwd 1:1.0.1-0ubunt X client - xwd
    ii xwininfo 1:1.0.2-0ubunt X client - xwininfo
    ii xwud 1:1.0.1-0ubunt X client - xwud
    ii zip 2.32-1 Archiver for .zip files
    ii zlib1g 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg compression library - runtime

    924 packages != 924 applications

    The only truthful claim you've made is in regard to apt-get.

  8. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    SW wrote:

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    > > I have to agree. Taking 1/2 hour just for the OS is truly abysmal.

    > Kubuntu took 42 minutes including the update of 89 packages. That's
    > good, right? Six more CUPS updates this morning took less than a minute.
    >

    > > Then two or three apps takes a further 1/2 hour... it would take days
    > > to get most machines usable.

    > I didn't say two or three apps took 30 minutes to install. Try reading
    > instead of yapping.

    /quote
    Add another 25-30 mins to install Office 2003, Flash, PDF reader and a few
    other utilities.
    /unquote

    That is the time for *one* real app (Office) and for a few small utilities

    Totally unacceptable.

    < snip >
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    Let it get in YOUR way. The problem for your problem.

  9. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    SW espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    > > I have to agree. Taking 1/2 hour just for the OS is truly abysmal.

    > Kubuntu took 42 minutes including the update of 89 packages. That's
    > good, right? Six more CUPS updates this morning took less than a minute.
    >

    > > Then two or three apps takes a further 1/2 hour... it would take days to
    > > get most machines usable.

    > I didn't say two or three apps took 30 minutes to install.

    I'll quote you:

    >> It took me exactly 30 minutes and two to install XP Pro with SP3.
    >> Restoring an older image would have taken less than 15 minutes. Add
    >> another 25-30 mins to install Office 2003, Flash, PDF reader and a
    >> few other utilities.

    That looks like two or three to me. If you can't post what you mean,
    it's hardly my fault.

    > Try reading

    As soon as the abuse starts, I lose interest. If you have a point, then
    make it without being abusive, otherwise please find a more suitable
    group.

  10. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 09 January 2008 20:03 : \____

    > SW espoused:
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have to agree. Taking 1/2 hour just for the OS is truly abysmal.

    >> Kubuntu took 42 minutes including the update of 89 packages. That's
    >> good, right? Six more CUPS updates this morning took less than a minute.
    >>

    >> > Then two or three apps takes a further 1/2 hour... it would take days to
    >> > get most machines usable.

    >> I didn't say two or three apps took 30 minutes to install.

    > I'll quote you:
    >
    >>> It took me exactly 30 minutes and two to install XP Pro with SP3.
    >>> Restoring an older image would have taken less than 15 minutes. Add
    >>> another 25-30 mins to install Office 2003, Flash, PDF reader and a
    >>> few other utilities.

    > That looks like two or three to me. If you can't post what you mean,
    > it's hardly my fault.
    >
    >> Try reading

    > As soon as the abuse starts, I lose interest. If you have a point, then
    > make it without being abusive, otherwise please find a more suitable
    > group.

    SW is a troll. Some people thought it was Gary Stewart, but it's not.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Code built upon another's is less prone to bugs
    Mem: 515500k total, 444184k used, 71316k free, 2532k buffers

  11. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 09 January 2008 20:03 : \____
    >
    >> SW espoused:

    >>> Kubuntu took 42 minutes including the update of 89 packages. That's
    >>> good, right? Six more CUPS updates this morning took less than a minute.

    >>> I didn't say two or three apps took 30 minutes to install.

    >> I'll quote you:

    >> That looks like two or three to me. If you can't post what you mean,
    >> it's hardly my fault.
    >>
    >>> Try reading

    >> As soon as the abuse starts, I lose interest. If you have a point, then
    >> make it without being abusive, otherwise please find a more suitable
    >> group.

    > SW is a troll. Some people thought it was Gary Stewart, but it's not.

    It's an interesting issue that the abuse usually (but not always)
    equates to someone being a troll. Now and again, I like to point out
    that the abuse is inappropriate, as I did above.

    Frankly, I find it hard to understand how anyone could believe that
    shovelling abuse at other people could make their own position seem more
    convincing...

  12. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    Mark Kent wrote:

    >As soon as the abuse starts, I lose interest. If you have a point, then
    >make it without being abusive, otherwise please find a more suitable
    >group.

    ? I can't think of a more suitable group. 8)

  13. Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

    chrisv writes:

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >>As soon as the abuse starts, I lose interest. If you have a point, then
    >>make it without being abusive, otherwise please find a more suitable
    >>group.

    > ? I can't think of a more suitable group. 8)

    Got to agree with you there. Mark Kent is an egotistical wind bag who
    thinks there are one set of rules for himself and another set for
    everyone else.

+ Reply to Thread