Majority Of New PCs Ship Without Windows Vista, Gates(Unintentionally) Reveals - Linux

This is a discussion on Majority Of New PCs Ship Without Windows Vista, Gates(Unintentionally) Reveals - Linux ; Microsoft Windows Vista operating system is proving far less popular with new PC buyers than Windows XP did during XP's first year on the market, if statements by company chairman Bill Gates at this week's Consumer Electronics Show are any ...

  1. Majority Of New PCs Ship Without Windows Vista, Gates(Unintentionally) Reveals

    Microsoft Windows Vista operating system is proving far less popular
    with new PC buyers than Windows XP did during XP's first year on the
    market, if statements by company chairman Bill Gates at this week's
    Consumer Electronics Show are any measure.

    [Analysis of the numbers...]

    Gates' statements at the 2003 and 2008 Consumer Electronics Shows thus
    reveal -- calculating roughly -- that Windows XP captured about 67% of
    the new PC market during its first year. Vista, by contrast, captured
    just 39%, or less than half, of new PC shipments in 2007.

    The numbers are no doubt troubling for Microsoft, which spent millions
    of dollars developing and promoting Windows Vista.

    Despite the efforts, many corporate and individual PC users have
    turned their backs on Vista -- citing concerns about its resource
    requirements and compatibility with older applications.

    A survey published by InformationWeek last year revealed that 30% of
    corporate desktop managers have no plans to upgrade their company's
    PC's to Vista -- ever.

    Contributing to Vista's woes is the fact that new desktop alternatives
    to the Windows operating system have emerged in recent years --
    including Apple's beefed up Leopard OS and open source offerings from
    Ubuntu and other Linux distributors.

    http://informationweek.com/news/show...leID=205210375

  2. Re: Majority Of New PCs Ship Without Windows Vista, Gates (Unintentionally) Reveals

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 08 January 2008 19:59 : \____

    > Microsoft Windows Vista operating system is proving far less popular
    > with new PC buyers than Windows XP did during XP's first year on the
    > market, if statements by company chairman Bill Gates at this week's
    > Consumer Electronics Show are any measure.
    >
    > [Analysis of the numbers...]
    >
    > Gates' statements at the 2003 and 2008 Consumer Electronics Shows thus
    > reveal -- calculating roughly -- that Windows XP captured about 67% of
    > the new PC market during its first year. Vista, by contrast, captured
    > just 39%, or less than half, of new PC shipments in 2007.
    >
    > The numbers are no doubt troubling for Microsoft, which spent millions
    > of dollars developing and promoting Windows Vista.
    >
    > Despite the efforts, many corporate and individual PC users have
    > turned their backs on Vista -- citing concerns about its resource
    > requirements and compatibility with older applications.
    >
    > A survey published by InformationWeek last year revealed that 30% of
    > corporate desktop managers have no plans to upgrade their company's
    > PC's to Vista -- ever.
    >
    > Contributing to Vista's woes is the fact that new desktop alternatives
    > to the Windows operating system have emerged in recent years --
    > including Apple's beefed up Leopard OS and open source offerings from
    > Ubuntu and other Linux distributors.

    http://informationweek.com/news/show...leID=205210375

    This is rubbish. :-) It does not even bother to say how many people who buy a
    PC with Vista replace it with Linux or XP. And no, I'm not joking.

    100 million shipped, claims Mr. Gates. How many are actually deployed where it
    matters?

    Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
    | operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
    | from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
    | began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
    | Vista. * *
    | ^^^^^
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...indows_vi.html

    Apparently, 'DRM coops' are not exactly business-friendly (and they never will
    be). It's time for more business to seriously assess GNU/Linux.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
    Swap: 1510068k total, 212356k used, 1297712k free, 76012k cached

  3. Re: Majority Of New PCs Ship Without Windows Vista, Gates (Unintentionally) Reveals

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    How come you have MS on the brain?

  4. Re: Majority Of COLA posts are about Windows and Vista, Advocates (Unintentionally) Reveal

    wrote in message

    Perhaps some day you retards will start to "advocate linux" instead of
    talking about MS all day long.

  5. Re: Majority Of COLA posts are about Windows and Vista, Advocates(Unintentionally) Reveal

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:34:20 -0500, Gary Bookman wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >
    > Perhaps some day you retards will start to "advocate linux" instead of
    > talking about MS all day long.

    How do you expect people to explain why Linux is better, and overcomes
    Windows' shortcomings, if we don't talk about it?

  6. Re: Majority Of COLA posts are about Windows and Vista, Advocates (Unintentionally) Reveal

    "clarjon1" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:34:20 -0500, Gary Bookman wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Perhaps some day you retards will start to "advocate linux" instead of
    >> talking about MS all day long.

    > How do you expect people to explain why Linux is better, and overcomes
    > Windows' shortcomings, if we don't talk about it?

    So it's your claim that these posts that talk about
    Windows/Vista/Bill-Gates/etc are somehow "comparing" things to linux. You
    believe that these posts are comparing Windows to the linux offering.

    For example let's take the brand new "Zune losses taught Microsoft a hard
    lessons?" ( <--- only a total moron would call this "English") Take a look
    at that post ("Zone losses taught Microsoft a hard lessons") and show me
    where it's being "explained why Linux is better" and how linux "overcomes
    Windows' shorcomings." It might be in the 2nd paragraph which talks about
    the "Group of Seattle Women to Buy Storm" which is supposedly a basketball
    team being purchased by some women. If not it's likely in the last section
    that talks about a former MS employee who is leaving the company.

    While what you claim is nice in "theory" the *reality* is that many of the
    posts here have nothing to do with linux and are made simply to trash other
    people and companies.

  7. Re: Majority Of COLA posts are about Windows and Vista, Advocates (Unintentionally) Reveal

    ____/ clarjon1 on Thursday 10 January 2008 18:01 : \____

    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:34:20 -0500, Gary Bookman wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Perhaps some day you retards will start to "advocate linux" instead of
    >> talking about MS all day long.

    > How do you expect people to explain why Linux is better, and overcomes
    > Windows' shortcomings, if we don't talk about it?

    Hi, you are responding to a troll that changes names. "Gary Bookman",
    aka "Roger Wilco", aka hundreds of other fake name is the same person whose
    real name is Scott Douglas. Watch the lines appended to his messages. He'll
    keep nymshifting every day. It's better not to respond to that nutter. By
    responding, you're asking for more.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows O/S: who ownZ you tod4y?
    Mem: 515500k total, 444400k used, 71100k free, 11632k buffers