Gates on OLPC - Linux

This is a discussion on Gates on OLPC - Linux ; Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well. Emerging markets are growing for PCs, people are doing cheap PCs. We've always believed in cheap PCs. If the hardware were free, we'd be happy. We're about the software. We're in literally over 100 ...

  1. Gates on OLPC

    Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well. Emerging markets are growing for
    PCs, people are doing cheap PCs. We've always believed in cheap PCs.
    If the hardware were free, we'd be happy. We're about the software.
    We're in literally over 100 countries with special versions of
    Windows, including Starter Edition. OLPC is nowhere compared to where
    we are on this thing. If that form factor, some people want to use
    that, we'll make sure Windows is available on that.

    http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9843783-56.html

  2. Re: Gates on OLPC

    * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:

    > Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well. Emerging markets are growing for
    > PCs, people are doing cheap PCs. We've always believed in cheap PCs.
    > If the hardware were free, we'd be happy. We're about the software.
    > We're in literally over 100 countries with special versions of
    > Windows, including Starter Edition. OLPC is nowhere compared to where
    > we are on this thing. If that form factor, some people want to use
    > that, we'll make sure Windows is available on that.
    >

    > http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9843783-56.html

    You left out another BGBF (Bill Gates Brain Fart):

    That's called Phone Plus. Our lab in China is doing some very
    interesting work. That general idea is that as you could walk
    around with the phone that it could use any big screen that shows
    up, that's going to be just standard stuff. The phone will be the
    entry PCs for a lot of people.

    Here's another one:

    What good is any PC now without broadband or without an Internet
    connection? It's not worth all that much. When somebody says I am
    going to XYZ country, ask them what the connectivity strategy is.
    That's the expensive part. Not the hardware, not the software. It's
    either the training, the special content, or the broadband.

    Never heard of the mesh network, 'ave ye Bill?

    --
    The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.

  3. Re: Gates on OLPC

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:teNgj.43611$Mu4.34142@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..

    > Never heard of the mesh network, 'ave ye Bill?

    Disparage old Bill all you want, but he is leaving town with quite a rep and
    quite a following and a big smile on his face. I hope you saw the clip that
    Hadron cited: http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/01/07/bil..._last_day.html

    Do you think that Linus or Stallman or any of the other gurus will go out in
    any kind of style like Bill? I don't.

    What are you weenies going to do without Bill Gates to kick around anymore?

  4. Re: Gates on OLPC

    Linonut wrote:

    > * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:
    >

    >> Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well. Emerging markets are growing for
    >> PCs, people are doing cheap PCs. We've always believed in cheap PCs.
    >> If the hardware were free, we'd be happy. We're about the software.
    >> We're in literally over 100 countries with special versions of
    >> Windows, including Starter Edition. OLPC is nowhere compared to where
    >> we are on this thing. If that form factor, some people want to use
    >> that, we'll make sure Windows is available on that.
    >>

    >> http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9843783-56.html

    > You left out another BGBF (Bill Gates Brain Fart):
    >
    > That's called Phone Plus. Our lab in China is doing some very
    > interesting work. That general idea is that as you could walk
    > around with the phone that it could use any big screen that shows
    > up, that's going to be just standard stuff. The phone will be the
    > entry PCs for a lot of people.
    >
    > Here's another one:
    >
    > What good is any PC now without broadband or without an Internet
    > connection? It's not worth all that much. When somebody says I am
    > going to XYZ country, ask them what the connectivity strategy is.
    > That's the expensive part. Not the hardware, not the software. It's
    > either the training, the special content, or the broadband.
    >
    > Never heard of the mesh network, 'ave ye Bill?

    Sounds like Billy Goat is a spliffer like all his
    mates like Blammer and the asstroturfing turds working this ng.

  5. Re: Gates on OLPC

    On Jan 8, 10:28 am, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    wrote:

    > Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well.

    I wonder if the fact that Microsoft and the Gates foundation keep
    having private conversations with the leaders who are about to adopt
    OLPCs may have something to do with it. At the moment, OLPCs are on
    Back-order. They can't keep up with the demand.

    > Emerging markets are growing for PCs, people are doing cheap PCs.

    This is true, in major cities, where electricity is more easily
    available, about 10 million PCs recycled from US computers, shipped to
    emerging markets, configured with Linux (for the language of that
    country, and English), and often sold for under $100 each.

    The key element of the OLPC is that it needs less power, runs good
    educational software, and can be manufactured for less than $100 per
    PC.

    > We've always believed in cheap PCs.

    This is probably true. Every time Microsoft introduces a new version
    of Windows, everything else becomes obsolete, which means that
    corporations have to pay to get rid of them. The problem is that even
    though they won't run the latest version of Windows, they are still
    fully functional, and work quite nicely with Linux. Which makes it
    easier to send them to countries who don't insist on Windows, and are
    willing to use Linux instead.

    Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, South India, and many other parts of the
    world where a brand new Windows operating system (without the
    computer) cost almost as much as a car, and a computer that runs the
    newest versions of Windows costs as much as a house.

    > If the hardware were free, we'd be happy. We're about the software.

    Yes, but not about putting software on free hardware. After all,
    Microsoft ALSO needs to protect it's OEM distribution channel, and
    giving away Windows for $50 computers would really piss off the OEMs.

    > We're in literally over 100 countries with special versions of
    > Windows, including Starter Edition.

    Microsoft only targeted these countries with low-cAost versions of
    Windows BECAUSE Linux had already established a growing market. After
    losing Mexico and Brazil, Microsoft wanted to be much more proactive.

    > OLPC is nowhere compared to where we are on this thing.

    They are shipping them as fast as they can make them, but production
    capacity is limited compared to Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Acer.

    > If that form factor, some people want to use that,
    > we'll make sure Windows is available on that.

    And they will call it another "Microsoft Innovation".

    > http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9843783-56.html

  6. Re: Gates on OLPC

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:teNgj.43611$Mu4.34142@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>
    >> Never heard of the mesh network, 'ave ye Bill?
    >>

    > Disparage old Bill all you want, but he is leaving town with quite a rep and
    > quite a following and a big smile on his face. I hope you saw the clip that
    > Hadron cited: http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/01/07/bil..._last_day.html

    Maybe later. This quote from the text at that link is funny:

    Soft-spoken Steve Ballmer ...

    > Do you think that Linus or Stallman or any of the other gurus will go out in
    > any kind of style like Bill? I don't.

    Depends what you mean by "style".

    > What are you weenies going to do without Bill Gates to kick around anymore?

    We'll always have Microsoft.

    --
    The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.

  7. Re: Gates on OLPC

    * Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply:

    > On Jan 8, 10:28 am, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well.

    > I wonder if the fact that Microsoft and the Gates foundation keep
    > having private conversations with the leaders who are about to adopt
    > OLPCs may have something to do with it. At the moment, OLPCs are on
    > Back-order. They can't keep up with the demand.
    >
    >> Emerging markets are growing for PCs, people are doing cheap PCs.

    > This is true, in major cities, where electricity is more easily
    > available, about 10 million PCs recycled from US computers, shipped to
    > emerging markets, configured with Linux (for the language of that
    > country, and English), and often sold for under $100 each.
    >
    > The key element of the OLPC is that it needs less power, runs good
    > educational software, and can be manufactured for less than $100 per
    > PC.

    My job is simply done. When I started in January 2005, many people
    thought was a joke, including Craig Barrett and Bill Gates. I took it
    from that stage -- just an idea of a $100 laptop -- through
    invention, design and partnering and to delivery. The laptop is in
    high volume mass production, it's the lowest cost laptop ever made,
    the lowest power laptop ever made, it's the greenest laptop ever
    made, it's the only sunlight-readable laptop on the market, it's more
    rugged than a Toughbook, it's in the Museum of Modern Art for it's
    look -- and countries are buying them en masse. For example, 260,000
    are going to children in one-room classrooms off-the-grid in rural
    Peru. The XO laptop requires less infrastructure: it's about 15 times
    lower in power consumption than Energy Star mandates, and 15 times
    lower than any other laptop on the market. The Mesh networking
    extends the reach of a single access point as the wifi signals can
    hop from laptop to laptop to reach the children living the farthest
    from the school.

    Say, maybe Microsoft and Intel can get Vista to run on one of those
    things.

    --
    The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.

  8. Re: Gates on OLPC

    wrote in message

    > Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well. Emerging markets are growing for
    > PCs, people are doing cheap PCs. We've always believed in cheap PCs.
    > If the hardware were free, we'd be happy. We're about the software.
    > We're in literally over 100 countries with special versions of
    > Windows, including Starter Edition. OLPC is nowhere compared to where
    > we are on this thing. If that form factor, some people want to use
    > that, we'll make sure Windows is available on that.
    >

    > http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9843783-56.html

    When Gates talks... people listen. That's one reason why Gates was invited
    to give the keynote address at this years CES in Vegas. Despite the whining
    and crying here in COLA, the rest of the world has great respect for Bill
    Gates.

    That's why you will never see a COLA loser or a "linux advocate" invited to
    give a speech anywhere that matters.

  9. Re: Gates on OLPC

    > > Do you think that Linus or Stallman or any of the other gurus will go out in
    > > any kind of style like Bill? I don't.

    > Depends what you mean by "style".

    Bill Gates has no style. That's what Steve Jobs said.

  10. Re: Gates on OLPC

    ____/ Rex Ballard on Tuesday 08 January 2008 18:54 : \____

    > On Jan 8, 10:28 am, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well.

    > I wonder if the fact that Microsoft and the Gates foundation keep
    > having private conversations with the leaders who are about to adopt
    > OLPCs may have something to do with it. *At the moment, OLPCs are on
    > Back-order. *They can't keep up with the demand.

    Microsoft actively sabotaged and intervened. Intel is dumping.

    Africa's digital poster child

    "The renovation has been paid for by the government and Intel, with the chip
    firm covering the majority of the costs of the technology."

    Their claims of charity are nothing but a case of cut-throat competition. It's
    like robber barons claiming credit for 'helping' the very same people they
    exploit.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
    Cpu(s): 24.9%us, 4.0%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.9%id, 3.7%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  11. Re: Gates on OLPC

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:
    >

    >> Gates: [...] We're about the software. [...]
    >>

    > Really? I thought they were about sabotaging a charity for profit.

    Easy target, I suppose. That's what bullies always look for.

  12. Re: Gates on OLPC

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Rex Ballard on Tuesday 08 January 2008 18:54 : \____
    >
    >> On Jan 8, 10:28 am, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well.

    >> I wonder if the fact that Microsoft and the Gates foundation keep
    >> having private conversations with the leaders who are about to adopt
    >> OLPCs may have something to do with it. *At the moment, OLPCs are on
    >> Back-order. *They can't keep up with the demand.

    > Microsoft actively sabotaged and intervened. Intel is dumping.
    >
    > Africa's digital poster child
    >
    > "The renovation has been paid for by the government and Intel, with the chip
    > firm covering the majority of the costs of the technology."

    > Their claims of charity are nothing but a case of cut-throat competition. It's
    > like robber barons claiming credit for 'helping' the very same people they
    > exploit.

    Bullies always look for the weakest target, in this case, the OLPC
    programme.

  13. Re: Gates on OLPC

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 09 January 2008 09:19 : \____

    > [H]omer espoused:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:
    >>

    >>> Gates: [...] We're about the software. [...]
    >>>

    >> Really? I thought they were about sabotaging a charity for profit.
    >>

    > Easy target, I suppose. That's what bullies always look for.

    Don't forget that the Intel bully made a truce with Nick so that he doesn't
    snitch to the teachers and the principal. Now that he's out swinging at Intel
    the bullies use the press and the shills to do a smear campaign against him.
    It's truly revolting!

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread

  14. Re: Gates on OLPC

    * Roger Wilco fired off this tart reply:

    >> http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9843783-56.html

    > When Gates talks... people listen. That's one reason why Gates was invited
    > to give the keynote address at this years CES in Vegas. Despite the whining
    > and crying here in COLA, the rest of the world has great respect for Bill
    > Gates.
    >
    > That's why you will never see a COLA loser or a "linux advocate" invited to
    > give a speech anywhere that matters.

    Idiot. CES is a trade show.

    --
    The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.

  15. Re: Gates on OLPC

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:lG5hj.65501$K27.6123@bignews6.bellsouth.net.. .
    >* Roger Wilco fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9843783-56.html

    >> When Gates talks... people listen. That's one reason why Gates was
    >> invited
    >> to give the keynote address at this years CES in Vegas. Despite the
    >> whining
    >> and crying here in COLA, the rest of the world has great respect for Bill
    >> Gates.
    >>
    >> That's why you will never see a COLA loser or a "linux advocate" invited
    >> give a speech anywhere that matters.

    > Idiot. CES is a trade show.

    No ****. And coverage of it is all over the internet, all over the news and
    in nearly every magazine and newspaper in the country. It is one of the
    largest consumer electronics shows in the world and it gathers reporters
    from all over the world. It is an international even and gets a tremendous
    amount of global news coverage.

    Do name a major electronics/tech company that does not attend this event?
    Anyone and everyone in the technology world attends CES. Yeah... CES is big
    and it gets bigger every year. Certainly you don't believe for a moment that
    something like "Penguin-fest" has anywhere the impact on the industry as
    CES.

    So yes, CES is a major trade show. What happens here is important to
    technology. And being the important tech event that it is you will have
    important people like Bill Gates making the keynote address. Not some
    unbathed loser ranting about the evils of propreitary data formats and how
    people are sheep because their data is being held hostage. Those idiots all
    go to "Penguin fest" which the world gladly ignores.

  16. Re: Gates on OLPC

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:lG5hj.65501$K27.6123@bignews6.bellsouth.net.. .
    >* Roger Wilco fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9843783-56.html

    >> When Gates talks... people listen. That's one reason why Gates was
    >> invited
    >> to give the keynote address at this years CES in Vegas. Despite the
    >> whining
    >> and crying here in COLA, the rest of the world has great respect for Bill
    >> Gates.
    >>
    >> That's why you will never see a COLA loser or a "linux advocate" invited
    >> give a speech anywhere that matters.

    > Idiot. CES is a trade show.

    Are you suggesting that they are not important?

  17. Re: Gates on OLPC

    "Roger Wilco" wrote in message
    news:4784eecb$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > So yes, CES is a major trade show. What happens here is important to
    > technology. And being the important tech event that it is you will have
    > important people like Bill Gates making the keynote address. Not some
    > unbathed loser ranting about the evils of propreitary data formats and how
    > people are sheep because their data is being held hostage. Those idiots
    > all go to "Penguin fest" which the world gladly ignores.

    One thing that I found kind of interesting about all this was that Gates
    managed to get Hillary and Obama and Al Gore to play parts in his little
    skit. The conventional COLA wisdom is that Microsoft had suborned the
    Republicans and Mr. Bush and was due to get their comeuppance once the Dems
    returned to power. But Bill seems a little cozy with the very folk most
    likely to be riding in on the white horse, eh? How does that all compute?

  18. Re: Gates on OLPC

    rat wrote:

    >One thing that I found kind of interesting about all this was that Gates
    >managed to get Hillary and Obama and Al Gore to play parts in his little
    >skit. The conventional COLA wisdom is that Microsoft had suborned the
    >Republicans and Mr. Bush and was due to get their comeuppance once the Dems
    >returned to power. But Bill seems a little cozy with the very folk most
    >likely to be riding in on the white horse, eh? How does that all compute?

    W is *owned* by the weathly businessman, but they are *all*
    *influenced* by the wealthy businessman.

    Hillary used to be for universal health care. AFAIK, she has been
    bribed out of that stance by the pharmaceutical companies.

+ Reply to Thread