Class Action Suit Alleges Sears Privacy Failures

,----[ Quote ]
| The complaint seeks class-action status, and more than $5 million in damages,
| including attorneys' fees.
| A copy of the complaint is linked here (PDF).
| The suit was filed by KamberEdelson, the same New York City based law firm
| that successfully pursued Sony BMG Music Entertainment after the media giant
| shipped millions of music CDs that included spyware.
| Partner Scott Kamber said the firm also is seeking plaintiffs for a similar
| second class-action suit against Sears, whose marketing partners were
| recently found to have secretly installed ComScore's Web-tracking software on
| PCs of some customers who purchased products from the Sears Web site.

This amuses me because Vista does pretty much the same as all the above, if not
its successors. And then there's this:

2007 worst ever year for data protection

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year was the worst ever for data losses in the UK, with almost 37
| million people having their private data compromised.

Having malware on /most/ Windows PCs certainly doesn't help. If data is stored
on Windows it can almost be assumed to have been leaked.

In zombies we trust

,----[ Quote ]
| A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
| style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
| were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
| months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
| months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
| 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
| counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised. * * *

Over 50% of corporate desktops infected with malware: IronPort

,----[ Quote ]
| The report also reveals that more than 50% of corporate desktops
| worldwide are infected with some type of spyware with the rate of
| infection as high as 70% in the United States. Trojans or malicious
| system monitors represented over 7% of the infections. Rootkits and
| trick loaders, which reinstall spyware and other obfuscation techniques,
| make remediation very difficult thus prevention is the key to stopping
| these threats.

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]