Linux on the desktop: like a dog humping a table leg - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux on the desktop: like a dog humping a table leg - Linux ; "fun to watch and disturbing" har!!!! http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...linux_fluendo/...

  1. Linux on the desktop: like a dog humping a table leg

    "fun to watch and disturbing"

    har!!!!

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...linux_fluendo/

  2. Re: Linux on the desktop: like a dog humping a table leg

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > "fun to watch and disturbing"
    >
    > har!!!!
    >
    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...linux_fluendo/

    I think I'll pass on watching it. Sorry chump.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  3. Re: Linux on the desktop: like a dog humping a table leg

    Linonut writes:

    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> "fun to watch and disturbing"
    >>
    >> har!!!!
    >>
    >> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...linux_fluendo/

    > I think I'll pass on watching it. Sorry chump.

    It's an article. And quite a damning, biased one which clearly has an
    anti-linux agenda. Here:

    ,----
> [...]
    |
    | Linux advocates, however, refuse to quit hoping that the leg humping
    | will evolve into something spectacular. So we find yet another desktop
    | panel discussion taking place at this year's LinuxWorld conference in
    | San Francisco.
    |
    | Dell and Ubuntu have taken strides toward blunting the Linux desktop
    | criticism dished out by skeptics. The companies have an arrangement to
    | pre-load Canonical's version of Linux on select notebooks and
    | PCs. Lenovo this week responded in kind, saying it will plant Novell's
    | SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 on ThinkPads in the fourth quarter.
    |
    | Canonical's work strikes us as the major thing to have altered the Linux
    | desktop scene in the last couple of years. The company's efforts around
    | making Linux easier to use have succeeded. More importantly, perhaps,
    | Canonical has revitalized the entire Linux desktop question with its own
    | enthusiasm and that generated by loyal followers.
    |
    | 0f course, as you all know, the core of the big business Linux desktop
    | push remains centered around corporate use, as opposed to satiating
    | rabid developers.
    |
    | "The enterprise Linux desktop has arrived," said John Cherry of the
    | Linux Foundation, during today's panel. "Certainly, this year we have
    | seen some major advances in the offerings.
    |
    | "We are seeing huge deals starting to come across the radar screen. We
    | expected them in Asia, India and those areas. We have seen them in the
    | US and Europe as well."
    |
    | Cherry added that the education, Asian government, thin client, call
    | center and embedded markets are "hot, hot, hot." Apparently, desktop
    | Linux is poised to take over the world.
    |
    | "Probably the biggest and largest emerging market is in the mobile space
    | and embedded," Cherry said, covering all the available bases. "We will
    | see a lot of announcements over the next six months that will bear that
    | out."
    |
    | Such enthusiasm aside, shifting to desktop Linux remains a very
    | pragmatic experience even for committed corporate users. Guy Lunardi,
    | senior product manager at SuSE, confessed that Novell goes into
    | companies and fingers the Linux guinea pigs one-by-one. "The first
    | exercise we go through is segmenting the users to figure out which
    | (ones) will be most appropriate to use the Linux desktop."
    |
    | Oddly, Lunardi maintained that desktop Linux's limitations are "mostly
    | just perceptions" at this point, so why does Novell bother with the show
    | exercise of outing the damned?
    |
    | Away from corporations, desktop Linux still proves far too troublesome
    | for grandma. It suffers from limited driver, multimedia and power
    | management support. The Linux community is, as always, beavering away on
    | these issues and may well make something Windows comparable by 2020.
    |
    | Canonical's Chris Kenyon, a director of business development, was meant
    | to convince us out of such pessimism during the panel but was a no-show.
    `----

  4. Re: Linux on the desktop: like a dog humping a table leg

    DFS wrote:

    [blah]

    You've gotten boring.

    *FLUSH*

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Circular Definition: see Definition, Circular.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

+ Reply to Thread