Vista DRM blocking legal video downloads - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista DRM blocking legal video downloads - Linux ; Windows Vista's increased anti-copying protection is already leading some customers of movie services to find themselves locked out of content they have legal rights to watch, users are reporting today. Netflix subscriber Davis Freeberg notes that his access to the ...

  1. Vista DRM blocking legal video downloads

    Windows Vista's increased anti-copying protection is already leading
    some customers of movie services to find themselves locked out of
    content they have legal rights to watch, users are reporting today.
    Netflix subscriber Davis Freeberg notes that his access to the movie
    rental service's Watch Instantly online feature was cut when he
    upgraded to a newer display that could play HD-level content but did
    not support HDCP encryption; to regain access, he would have to grant
    Microsoft's DRM system free reign to scan his system for videos
    regardless of their source, according to Netflix support staff
    contacted regarding the problem.

    In addition to its invasive nature, it could also potentially affect
    other content legitimately bought or rented content. Should it detect
    videos using the same Windows Media format that lack the expected
    keys, the Microsoft system may bar access to third-party videos. A
    collection of videos from Amazon's Unbox service could be disabled in
    attempting to get the Netflix collection to work properly, Freeberg
    notes. Netflix has reportedly asked the author to downgrade to a lower-
    resolution display to ensure he can view movies from multiple
    services.

    Though Microsoft has not commented on the issue, the incident
    underscores limitations imposed by movie studios and agreed to by the
    Windows creator in Vista, none of which are currently in effect for
    earlier versions of the OS or for alternatives such as Linux or Mac OS
    X. HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Copyright Protection) is a feature
    included in Vista and many more recent displays and video cards meant
    to automatically block or lower the resolution of protected movies
    when compatible hardware is undetected, preventing image-perfect movie
    copies by pirates and others hoping to capture the raw video
    output....

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...m.and.netflix/

  2. Re: Vista DRM blocking legal video downloads

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Monday 07 January 2008 19:27 : \____
    >

    >> Windows Vista's increased anti-copying protection is already leading
    >> some customers of movie services to find themselves locked out of
    >> content they have legal rights to watch, users are reporting today.
    >>

    >> http://www.electronista.com/articles...m.and.netflix/

    > When you enter an age when /disablement/ becomes a 'feature', then that's
    > trouble. I'm not just talking about access to media, but also availability of
    > physical hardware. This is insane. As the old saying goes, "what where they
    > THINKING?"

    Netflix has reportedly asked the author to downgrade to a
    lower-resolution display to ensure he can view movies from multiple
    services.

    If something like this becomes widely known and persists, this could
    drive more people to Linux (once XP is defunct) than any number of Vista
    bugs.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  3. Re: Vista DRM blocking legal video downloads

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Windows Vista's increased anti-copying protection is already leading
    > some customers of movie services to find themselves locked out of
    > content they have legal rights to watch ...
    >
    > http://www.electronista.com/articles...m.and.netflix/

    Yep, that's true Microsoft quality, that is! You never know when (not "if")
    Microsoft's crapware will bar access to or destroy content -- regardless
    whether it be movies, music or even documents or photographs you created
    yourself.
    Ah well, it's good publicity for Linux and Macintosh, so you won't hear me
    complaining.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  4. Re: Vista DRM blocking legal video downloads

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> http://www.electronista.com/articles...m.and.netflix/

    >When you enter an age when /disablement/ becomes a 'feature', then that's
    >trouble. I'm not just talking about access to media, but also availability of
    >physical hardware. This is insane. As the old saying goes, "what where they
    >THINKING?"

    I like this part: "to regain access, he would have to grant
    Microsoft's DRM system free reign to scan his system for videos
    regardless of their source"

    Micro$oft "customer service" at it's finest, there...

  5. Re: Vista DRM blocking legal video downloads

    ____/ Richard Rasker on Tuesday 08 January 2008 12:49 : \____

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >

    >> Windows Vista's increased anti-copying protection is already leading
    >> some customers of movie services to find themselves locked out of
    >> content they have legal rights to watch ...
    >>
    >> http://www.electronista.com/articles...m.and.netflix/

    > Yep, that's true Microsoft quality, that is! You never know when (not "if")
    > Microsoft's crapware will bar access to or destroy content -- regardless
    > whether it be movies, music or even documents or photographs you created
    > yourself.
    > Ah well, it's good publicity for Linux and Macintosh, so you won't hear me
    > complaining.

    ^^^^^^^^^^

    Make sure it's publicised, Richard. Most people know nothing about it. They
    don't even understand DRM, but you can explain that stuff in simple terms,
    e.g. you music will only last for X years, your computer will refuse to work
    just before and important deadline...

    No publicity does its own legwork and to paraphrase PJ (and Grouchy's sig) with
    a slant, some people **are** as stupid as Microsoft *needs* them to be.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Viruses to Linux are like cancer to a shark
    Cpu(s): 25.1%us, 4.1%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.8%id, 3.7%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st