[News] Loads of New Linux Gadgets Unveiled at CES 2008 - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Loads of New Linux Gadgets Unveiled at CES 2008 - Linux ; Look who /else/ is there. CES 2008: GP2X Linux-Based Handheld Game Console ,----[ Quote ] | Spotted at Amiga's Pepcom booth, the GP2X handheld, from Korea's Gamepark | holdings, made for a whiplash double-take: the best computer of the 1980s ...

  1. [News] Loads of New Linux Gadgets Unveiled at CES 2008

    Look who /else/ is there.

    CES 2008: GP2X Linux-Based Handheld Game Console

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Spotted at Amiga's Pepcom booth, the GP2X handheld, from Korea's Gamepark
    | holdings, made for a whiplash double-take: the best computer of the 1980s
    | emulated on a portable?
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...08-gp2x-l.html

    An 'Eee PC replacement' without the Intel and the Xandros (Ubuntu+VIA):

    E-Lead Electronic Noahpad UMPC gets official

    http://www.pocketables.net/2008/01/e-lead-electron.html

    Yoggie:

    CES: Computer security, all in a USB flash drive

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=23208

    Linux Journal seems to suggest the number of companies which boast Linux use at
    CES has quadrupled. These are just a few interesting new gadgets among many
    more.

    Yesterday:

    Hunting Linux at CES

    ,----[ Quoet ]
    | But some companies do bother to say that they use it. Many more than normal,
    | in fact. A search for Linux at the CES site yields 79 results, which is about
    | 4x the usual number. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006013

    Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux use in "next" embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278
    | percent over that in "previous" projects, suggests a recent survey by Venture
    | Development Corp. (VDC).
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Loads of New Linux Gadgets Unveiled at CES 2008

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Look who /else/ is there.
    >
    > CES 2008: GP2X Linux-Based Handheld Game Console
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Spotted at Amiga's Pepcom booth, the GP2X handheld, from Korea's Gamepark
    >| holdings, made for a whiplash double-take: the best computer of the 1980s
    >| emulated on a portable?
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...08-gp2x-l.html

    The new GP2X is brilliant. The CPU upgrade is enough to run many
    emulators at full speed, plus the touch-screen is a popular improvement
    in the interface. It's still got the excellent video and audio playing
    capabilities, indeed, TV from our mythtv box here is automatically
    encoded into a format which both the N770, N800 and GP2X and GP2X-F200
    can all play natively. It's then dropped onto the Bubba Excito, so that
    the networked devices (the Nokias) can play them directly from anywhere
    in range of the Wifi network.

    Welcome to the new world...

    > An 'Eee PC replacement' without the Intel and the Xandros (Ubuntu+VIA):
    >
    > E-Lead Electronic Noahpad UMPC gets official
    >
    > http://www.pocketables.net/2008/01/e-lead-electron.html
    >
    > Yoggie:
    >
    > CES: Computer security, all in a USB flash drive
    >
    > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=23208
    >
    > Linux Journal seems to suggest the number of companies which boast Linux use at
    > CES has quadrupled. These are just a few interesting new gadgets among many
    > more.
    >

    > Yesterday:
    >
    > Hunting Linux at CES
    >
    > ,----[ Quoet ]
    >| But some companies do bother to say that they use it. Many more than normal,
    >| in fact. A search for Linux at the CES site yields 79 results, which is about
    >| 4x the usual number. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006013
    >

    > Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Linux use in "next" embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278
    >| percent over that in "previous" projects, suggests a recent survey by Venture
    >| Development Corp. (VDC).
    > `----

  3. Re: [News] Loads of New Linux Gadgets Unveiled at CES 2008

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 07 January 2008 18:32 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Look who /else/ is there.
    >>
    >> CES 2008: GP2X Linux-Based Handheld Game Console
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Spotted at Amiga's Pepcom booth, the GP2X handheld, from Korea's Gamepark
    >>| holdings, made for a whiplash double-take: the best computer of the 1980s
    >>| emulated on a portable?
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...08-gp2x-l.html

    > The new GP2X is brilliant. *The CPU upgrade is enough to run many
    > emulators at full speed, plus the touch-screen is a popular improvement
    > in the interface. *It's still got the excellent video and audio playing
    > capabilities, indeed, TV from our mythtv box here is automatically
    > encoded into a format which both the N770, N800 and GP2X and GP2X-F200
    > can all play natively. *It's then dropped onto the Bubba Excito, so that
    > the networked devices (the Nokias) can play them directly from anywhere
    > in range of the Wifi network.
    >
    > Welcome to the new world...

    I'm careful not to post too much to COLA. There's a /HUGE/ number of Linux
    devices being unveiled in this Las Vegas expo. It also seems like we're
    entering an age of 'appliances' like Eee PC and Nokia tablets, so the future
    is bright.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers

  4. Re: [News] Loads of New Linux Gadgets Unveiled at CES 2008

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 07 January 2008 18:32 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Look who /else/ is there.
    >>>
    >>> CES 2008: GP2X Linux-Based Handheld Game Console
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...08-gp2x-l.html

    >> The new GP2X is brilliant. *The CPU upgrade is enough to run many
    >> emulators at full speed, plus the touch-screen is a popular improvement
    >> in the interface. *It's still got the excellent video and audio playing
    >> capabilities, indeed, TV from our mythtv box here is automatically
    >> encoded into a format which both the N770, N800 and GP2X and GP2X-F200
    >> can all play natively. *It's then dropped onto the Bubba Excito, so that
    >> the networked devices (the Nokias) can play them directly from anywhere
    >> in range of the Wifi network.
    >>
    >> Welcome to the new world...

    > I'm careful not to post too much to COLA. There's a /HUGE/ number of Linux
    > devices being unveiled in this Las Vegas expo. It also seems like we're
    > entering an age of 'appliances' like Eee PC and Nokia tablets, so the future
    > is bright.

    I don't see that you could post too much positive news about Linux
    devices here. I appreciate that the death of the desktop is very much
    seen as anathema by many here, but in fact, the opportunities on these
    new devices will far outweigh anything we've seen so far.