[News] Google's Linux Challenged by More Open Mobile Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Google's Linux Challenged by More Open Mobile Linux - Linux ; Linux phone to Debut upgrade at CES, Google Android looking stupid ,----[ Quote ] | OpenMoko has announced an upgrade to its Linux-powered mobile phone and plans | to present the device at CES. That’s a slap in the face ...

  1. [News] Google's Linux Challenged by More Open Mobile Linux

    Linux phone to Debut upgrade at CES, Google Android looking stupid

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenMoko has announced an upgrade to its Linux-powered mobile phone and plans
    | to present the device at CES. That’s a slap in the face for open source
    | competitor Google Android, which is still in development.In its announcement,
    | OpenMoko writes “. . . at CES we will formally preview GTA02 to the public.
    | We are doing this at an invitation-only media event, and not the general show
    | floor.”
    `----

    http://voipstash.com/blog/2008/01/05...ooking-stupid/

    Related:

    Navigation device uses Linux phone platform

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Sunnyvale, Calif.-based start-up announced a WiFi- and GPRS/GSM-equipped
    | navigation device based on a newly upgraded Linux-based mobile phone
    | platform. Dash Navigation's "Dash Express" borrows both hardware and software
    | components from OpenMoko's forthcoming Neo FreeRunner mobile phone, and
    | boasts continual two-way Internet communications. * *
    `----

    http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS3503273639.html

    Linux squeezes into connected devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenMoko, the open source Linux platform designed for mobile phones, has
    | found its way into a connected GPS device as well as a consumer-friendly
    | mobile phone, showing what Google's Android could do if OpenMoko wasn't
    | already doing it. *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/04/openmoko/

    OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing
    | the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the
    | Neo 1973, which may be available to the mass-market in the second half of
    | 2008, according to company sources. *
    `----

    http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20071116PD213.html

    Android vs. OpenMoko: Who Will Win?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last week Google announced Android, which is the newest open-source mobile
    | phone platform. Google is not the only company behind Android but several
    | companies make up the Open Handset Alliance. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Meanwhile, the open-source mobile platform known to many GNU/Linux users,
    | OpenMoko, hasn't kicked up nearly as much mainstream media attention. Both
    | OpenMoko and Android leverage the power of the Linux kernel and other
    | open-source projects to provide a free software platform for mobile devices. *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjE5Mg

    Enlightenment Desktop UI running on the Neo1973

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Another UI video has surfaced showing E17 enlightenment running the the
    | Neo1973.
    `----

    http://mobilemoko.net/2007/enlighten...n-the-neo1973/

    OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
    | production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279

    iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
    | project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
    | are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
    | framework to go with it. *
    `----

    http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_ma...phone_movement

    Mr. Martin tear down this wall

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1436

    OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
    | production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279

    iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
    | project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
    | are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
    | framework to go with it. *
    `----

    http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_ma...phone_movement

  2. Re: [News] Google's Linux Challenged by More Open Mobile Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Linux phone to Debut upgrade at CES, Google Android looking stupid
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| OpenMoko has announced an upgrade to its Linux-powered mobile phone and plans
    >| to present the device at CES. That?s a slap in the face for open source
    >| competitor Google Android, which is still in development.In its announcement,
    >| OpenMoko writes ?. . . at CES we will formally preview GTA02 to the public.
    >| We are doing this at an invitation-only media event, and not the general show
    >| floor.?
    > `----
    >
    > http://voipstash.com/blog/2008/01/05...ooking-stupid/

    Personally, in spite of all the hype, I suspect that OpenMoko might be
    rather more interesting that Android.