The battle is over. Blu-ray has won! - Linux

This is a discussion on The battle is over. Blu-ray has won! - Linux ; This time the superior format has triumphed. http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...37258&from=rss Frank...

  1. The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    This time the superior format has triumphed.

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...37258&from=rss

    Frank

  2. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 05:48:59 +1000, Frank Fox wrote:

    > This time the superior format has triumphed.
    >
    > http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...37258&from=rss
    >
    > Frank

    This time Hollywood has shot itself in the foot.

  3. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    Robin T Cox wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 05:48:59 +1000, Frank Fox wrote:
    >
    >> This time the superior format has triumphed.
    >>
    >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...37258&from=rss
    >>
    >> Frank

    > This time Hollywood has shot itself in the foot.

    Blueray is the best format. It's the best decision possible. You get nearly
    twice the capacity with no loss of performance.

    Microsofts hd-dvd bastard child is dead. Get over it.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  4. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Saturday 05 January 2008 21:42 : \____

    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 05:48:59 +1000, Frank Fox wrote:
    >>
    >>> This time the superior format has triumphed.
    >>>
    >>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...37258&from=rss
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> This time Hollywood has shot itself in the foot.

    > Blueray is the best format. It's the best decision possible. You get nearly
    > twice the capacity with no loss of performance.
    >
    > Microsofts hd-dvd bastard child is dead. Get over it.

    It hasn't won yet. It's an ambitious headline.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
    03:05:01 up 26 days, 15:53, 4 users, load average: 0.86, 1.83, 2.13

  5. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    >Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 05:48:59 +1000, Frank Fox wrote:
    >>
    >>> This time the superior format has triumphed.
    >>>
    >>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...37258&from=rss
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> This time Hollywood has shot itself in the foot.

    >Blueray is the best format. It's the best decision possible. You get nearly
    >twice the capacity with no loss of performance.
    >
    >Microsofts hd-dvd bastard child is dead. Get over it.

    I was of the opinion that HDDVD was better. Certainly the players are
    cheaper and the quality of image as good. I bought a player quite
    recently, in fact.

  6. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    chrisv writes:

    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >
    >>Robin T Cox wrote:

    >>> This time Hollywood has shot itself in the foot.

    >>Blueray is the best format. It's the best decision possible. You get nearly
    >>twice the capacity with no loss of performance.
    >>
    >>Microsofts hd-dvd bastard child is dead. Get over it.

    > I was of the opinion that HDDVD was better. Certainly the players are
    > cheaper and the quality of image as good. I bought a player quite
    > recently, in fact.

    Whoops.

    But being the freeloader you are, it's only fair to point out that
    "cheapest" isn't "best".

  7. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    chrisv wrote:

    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >
    >>Robin T Cox wrote:

    >>> This time Hollywood has shot itself in the foot.

    >>Blueray is the best format. It's the best decision possible. You get
    >>nearly twice the capacity with no loss of performance.
    >>
    >>Microsofts hd-dvd bastard child is dead. Get over it.

    > I was of the opinion that HDDVD was better. Certainly the players are
    > cheaper and the quality of image as good. I bought a player quite
    > recently, in fact.

    How is 25gigs better than 50gigs?

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  8. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    >chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry McBride wrote:

    >>>Blueray is the best format. It's the best decision possible. You get
    >>>nearly twice the capacity with no loss of performance.
    >>>
    >>>Microsofts hd-dvd bastard child is dead. Get over it.

    >> I was of the opinion that HDDVD was better. Certainly the players are
    >> cheaper and the quality of image as good. I bought a player quite
    >> recently, in fact.

    >How is 25gigs better than 50gigs?

    How is 50gigs better if the movie fits on 25gigs?

  9. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    Idiot wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry McBride wrote:

    >>> Blueray is the best format. It's the best decision possible. You get
    >>> nearly twice the capacity with no loss of performance.
    >>>
    >>> Microsofts hd-dvd bastard child is dead. Get over it.

    >> I was of the opinion that HDDVD was better. Certainly the players are
    >> cheaper and the quality of image as good. I bought a player quite
    >> recently, in fact.

    > How is 25gigs better than 50gigs?

    Show one example of 50GB BD-R media available for sale in the US.

  10. Re: The battle is over. Windows has won!

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >
    >>Robin T Cox wrote:

    Yes. Windows, the supreior format has triumphed.

  11. Re: The battle is over. Windows has won!

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:17:43 -0500, Roger Wilco wrote:

    >"chrisv" wrote in message
    >> Jerry McBride wrote:

    >Yes. Windows, the supreior format has triumphed.

    too funny.

    You mispelled truhumped.

  12. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    [H]omer wrote:

    >Blu-Ray is by Sony, HD-DVD is by Microsoft. Does anyone even need any
    >other reason to go Blu-Ray?

    The classic lesser-of-two-evils choice, there...

  13. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 05:11:15 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > Blu-Ray is by Sony, HD-DVD is by Microsoft. Does anyone even need any
    > other reason to go Blu-Ray?

    You're not winning me over here... sony rootkit vs. microsoft malware...
    not much of a choice.

  14. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:24:43 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    >> [H]omer wrote:

    >>> Blu-Ray is by Sony, HD-DVD is by Microsoft. Does anyone even need any
    >>> other reason to go Blu-Ray?

    >> The classic lesser-of-two-evils choice, there...

    > Oh Sony have certainly had their moments (rootkit anyone?) but by
    > comparison with Microsoft, Sony is Pope Benedict. It's like comparing
    > Del Boy with Ronnie Kray.

    Okay. I'll give you (and them) that.

  15. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    >> [H]omer wrote:

    >>> Blu-Ray is by Sony, HD-DVD is by Microsoft. Does anyone even need
    >>> any other reason to go Blu-Ray?

    >> The classic lesser-of-two-evils choice, there...

    > Oh Sony have certainly had their moments (rootkit anyone?) but by
    > comparison with Microsoft, Sony is Pope Benedict. It's like comparing
    > Del Boy with Ronnie Kray.

    I wouldn't consider Sony to be a friend, particularly, but they could be
    considered to be the enemy of the enemy of free software, which is
    something I can work with.

  16. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 13:49:25 -0600, alt wrote:
    >On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 05:11:15 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    >> Blu-Ray is by Sony, HD-DVD is by Microsoft. Does anyone even need any
    >> other reason to go Blu-Ray?

    >You're not winning me over here... sony rootkit vs. microsoft malware...
    >not much of a choice.

    Besides, microsoft has nothing to do with hd-dvd other than including it in
    their xbox. They didn't develop it, market it, etc.

    HDDVD is more toshiba's baby.

  17. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    In article ,
    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > >> Blu-Ray is by Sony, HD-DVD is by Microsoft. Does anyone even need any
    > >> other reason to go Blu-Ray?

    > >You're not winning me over here... sony rootkit vs. microsoft malware...
    > >not much of a choice.

    > Besides, microsoft has nothing to do with hd-dvd other than including it in
    > their xbox. They didn't develop it, market it, etc.
    >
    > HDDVD is more toshiba's baby.

    Actually, Microsoft was involved. Microsoft developed the interactive
    scripting system for HD-DVD, based on XML and Javascript. They also
    proposed it to the Blu-Ray Disc Association, where the technical
    committee voted for it over Java 7 to 5, but the Blu-Ray board overruled
    that, 10 to 4.

    Microsoft also did an agreement with Toshiba early on to help develop
    the players, to make them work better with computers. Gates said that
    Blu-Ray was concentrating on video, and not sufficient account of the
    needs of computer users.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  18. Re: The battle is over. Blu-ray has won!

    Tim Smith wrote:

    >> >You're not winning me over here... sony rootkit vs. microsoft malware...
    >> >not much of a choice.

    >> Besides, microsoft has nothing to do with hd-dvd other than including it
    >> in
    >> their xbox. They didn't develop it, market it, etc.
    >>
    >> HDDVD is more toshiba's baby.

    > Actually, Microsoft was involved. Microsoft developed the interactive
    > scripting system for HD-DVD, based on XML and Javascript. They also
    > proposed it to the Blu-Ray Disc Association, where the technical
    > committee voted for it over Java 7 to 5, but the Blu-Ray board overruled
    > that, 10 to 4.
    >
    > Microsoft also did an agreement with Toshiba early on to help develop
    > the players, to make them work better with computers. Gates said that
    > Blu-Ray was concentrating on video, and not sufficient account of the
    > needs of computer users.

    The translation reads... since Sony dumped our solution, we have decided to
    go with the other guys... We can have our fingers in that pie...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

+ Reply to Thread