The most hated company in the pc industry - Linux

This is a discussion on The most hated company in the pc industry - Linux ; ASUSTEK "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than any other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing hate them? And why does Intel love them? " http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776 -- Jerry ...

  1. The most hated company in the pc industry

    "

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  2. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    "Jerry McBride" wrote in message

    > ASUSTEK
    >
    > "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than
    > any
    > other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing
    > hate
    > them?
    >
    > And why does Intel love them?
    > "
    >
    > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776

    Just another minimal system designed to keep the world associating Linux
    with the "bottom of the barrel". Think Yugo. Think Loser.

  3. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:03:33 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Jerry McBride" wrote in message
    >>

    >> ASUSTEK
    >>
    >> "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than
    >> any
    >> other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing
    >> hate
    >> them?
    >>
    >> And why does Intel love them?
    >> "
    >>
    >> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776
    >>

    > Just another minimal system designed to keep the world associating Linux
    > with the "bottom of the barrel". Think Yugo. Think Loser.

    Hardly. They're selling like hot cakes.

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    On Jan 5, 2:03*pm, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    > "Jerry McBride" wrote in message

    > > ASUSTEK

    > > "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than
    > > any
    > > other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing
    > > hate
    > > them?

    > > And why does Intel love them?
    > > "

    > >http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col.../article.php/3...

    > Just another minimal system designed to keep the world associating Linux
    > with the "bottom of the barrel". *Think Yugo. *Think Loser.

    From what I saw of the only one I've come in contact with, this is a
    very nice machine. Something I plan on getting as soon as I can. Of
    course, the only one I've come in contact with was running windows xp
    so the guy could do sharepoint development on his commute to work
    using vs2008. But, my guess is most of them stay with xandros (but
    they do provide xp drivers).

    --
    Tom Shelton

  5. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:03:33 -0500, amicus_curious scribbled down:

    > "Jerry McBride" wrote in message
    >>

    >> ASUSTEK
    >>
    >> "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than
    >> any
    >> other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing
    >> hate
    >> them?
    >>
    >> And why does Intel love them?
    >> "
    >>
    >> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776
    >>

    > Just another minimal system designed to keep the world associating Linux
    > with the "bottom of the barrel". Think Yugo. Think Loser.

    I certainly own some rather nice computing equipment. But I wouldn't mind
    getting an Asus Eee PC either.

    My guess is that once the Asus Eee starts running Windows XP in a few
    months it will cease to be a "bottom of the barrel" loser system. You'll
    then be claiming how great it is.

    --
    Ubuntu Linux
    16:40:31 up 135 days, 4:55, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.21, 0.11

    You will be divorced within a year.

  6. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    In article ,
    Jon Nesbit wrote:
    > My guess is that once the Asus Eee starts running Windows XP in a few
    > months it will cease to be a "bottom of the barrel" loser system. You'll
    > then be claiming how great it is.

    I thought it could run XP now. The owner's manual for the Linux version
    has a chapter on how to install XP on it.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    In article <477ff0a7$0$2893$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>,
    "amicus_curious" wrote:
    > Just another minimal system designed to keep the world associating Linux
    > with the "bottom of the barrel". Think Yugo. Think Loser.

    They don't make a big deal of the OS. They want the world to think of
    it as an appliance, not as a small PC.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    In article <2nt455xss7.ln2@supertux.my.domain>,
    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than any
    > other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing hate
    > them?
    >
    > And why does Intel love them?
    > "
    >
    > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776

    Some interesting points, but I think he's wrong about Apple. It doesn't
    compete with the iPod Touch (which he compares its price to), as they
    are aimed at very different markets. And any rumored upcoming
    flash-based Apple notebook will probably be a different market from it,
    too, the same way Apple's notebooks and the low-end Dells sell to
    different markets now. Thus, I doubt Apple hates Asustek.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 14:29:23 -0800, Tim Smith scribbled down:

    > In article ,
    > Jon Nesbit wrote:
    >> My guess is that once the Asus Eee starts running Windows XP in a few
    >> months it will cease to be a "bottom of the barrel" loser system. You'll
    >> then be claiming how great it is.

    > I thought it could run XP now. The owner's manual for the Linux version
    > has a chapter on how to install XP on it.

    Perhaps it can run XP now. I have a very good idea of what the Eee is but
    I haven't been following it all that close. Even though I wouldn't mind
    getting one 'someday' my current hardware is pretty decent and I usually
    prefer to wait for the initial rush (and initial bugs) to pass before I
    buy something. (Recall the madness with the PS3 first came out and what
    people were paying compared to those who waited a couple of months.)

    FYI - You are correct. I just did a Google search for Asus Eee and XP and
    there are several people running XP and instructions on how to do it.

    Also, do I consider this a "cheap" laptop? No because I have a real
    laptop that I use for real computing. But if I'm traveling and need a
    small device for email and web browsing then something like this would be
    perfect.

    --
    Ubuntu Linux
    18:00:57 up 135 days, 6:15, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.14, 0.09

    Many pages make a thick book, except for pocket Bibles which are on very
    very thin paper.

  10. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    Jerry McBride :

    > ASUSTEK
    >
    > "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than any
    > other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing hate
    > them?
    >
    > And why does Intel love them?
    > "
    >
    > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776

    Dunno, I like them. They made the motherboard in my (and most of my
    customers) computers. They rocketh.

    --
    You're too beautiful to ignore. Too much woman.
    -- Kirk to Yeoman Rand, "The Enemy Within", stardate unknown

    www.websterscafe.com

  11. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    * Jerry McBride fired off this tart reply:

    > "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than any
    > other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing hate
    > them?
    >
    > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776

    "The entire system -- hardware, OS, office suite and applications --
    costs $30 less than Amazon.com's discounted price for Microsoft
    Windows Vista Ultimate alone. The Asus Eee PC is demonstrating to the
    world that its success depends on aggressively *avoiding* any
    Microsoft product."

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  12. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    > "Jerry McBride" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more
    >> than any other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm
    >> Computing hate them?
    >>
    >> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776
    >>

    > Just another minimal system designed to keep the world associating Linux
    > with the "bottom of the barrel". Think Yugo. Think Loser.

    No, think $69 less than a 16 Gb iPod Touch.

    As usual, when exposed to salt, this slug merely exudes some slime.

    Slimer.

    "There's no question about it -- Asustek is the most hated company in
    the industry. Microsoft, Apple, Dell and Palm hate Asustek because
    the company can give us something they can't: A super cheap,
    flexible, powerful mobile computer. At $299, why would anyone not buy
    one?"

    Still watching the dropping price-lines on those Vista PCs, by the way.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  13. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    "Tim Smith" wrote in message
    > In article <2nt455xss7.ln2@supertux.my.domain>,
    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> "Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than
    >> any
    >> other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing
    >> hate
    >> them?
    >>
    >> And why does Intel love them?
    >> "
    >>
    >> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/3719776

    > Some interesting points, but I think he's wrong about Apple. It doesn't
    > compete with the iPod Touch (which he compares its price to), as they
    > are aimed at very different markets. And any rumored upcoming
    > flash-based Apple notebook will probably be a different market from it,
    > too, the same way Apple's notebooks and the low-end Dells sell to
    > different markets now. Thus, I doubt Apple hates Asustek.

    It isn't an issue of substitute functionality, it is an issue of priority of
    needs vs funds available for a consumer, i.e I can have a little PC to read
    email and surf the web when I'm away from home or I can have a nifty
    music/video player to entertain myself with when I am away from home. What
    do I buy with my $300-$400? A lot of that has to do with personal image,
    too. The consumer wants to appear sophisticated, suave, and urbane to a
    great extent and chooses things that are perceived to achieve that end. I
    think that the iPod Touch has a lot more of that kind of appeal than a
    minimal notebook.

    The need for accessing mail is a business sort of thing and the suave fast
    tracker would rather have a recognizably expensive high end laptop, such as
    Dell's new thin line machines that our deep draft managers are all angling
    for.

  14. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    > It isn't an issue of substitute functionality, it is an issue of priority of
    > needs vs funds available for a consumer, i.e I can have a little PC to read
    > email and surf the web when I'm away from home or I can have a nifty
    > music/video player to entertain myself with when I am away from home. What
    > do I buy with my $300-$400? A lot of that has to do with personal image,
    > too. The consumer wants to appear sophisticated, suave, and urbane to a
    > great extent and chooses things that are perceived to achieve that end. I
    > think that the iPod Touch has a lot more of that kind of appeal than a
    > minimal notebook.

    I would agree.

    > The need for accessing mail is a business sort of thing and the suave fast
    > tracker would rather have a recognizably expensive high end laptop, such as
    > Dell's new thin line machines that our deep draft managers are all angling
    > for.

    Some people feel differently when they have to lug the big thing around
    and have it heating up their lap.

    Of course, some of the high-end machines cost more just because they are
    thinner and lighter, if not cooler (in the Centrigrade sense).

    You're talking here about bizzizzmen, who depend upon work-based
    status and perks for their self-esteem. And have the budget to feed
    that need.

    Myself, although I do indeed have one of these perks (a ****-hot DELL
    Latitude D820 running Linux, with an all-but-unused Windows partition),
    I would love to have a small machine like the Eee that I can carry
    around like a book and use for email, browsing, and, of course, some
    C/C++ and Python programming.

    In any case, the Eee seems to be doing quite well, so there are people
    out there who want such a machine.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  15. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:_X7gj.46359$_m.36761@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .
    >* amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> It isn't an issue of substitute functionality, it is an issue of priority
    >> of
    >> needs vs funds available for a consumer, i.e I can have a little PC to
    >> read
    >> email and surf the web when I'm away from home or I can have a nifty
    >> music/video player to entertain myself with when I am away from home.
    >> What
    >> do I buy with my $300-$400? A lot of that has to do with personal image,
    >> too. The consumer wants to appear sophisticated, suave, and urbane to a
    >> great extent and chooses things that are perceived to achieve that end.
    >> think that the iPod Touch has a lot more of that kind of appeal than a
    >> minimal notebook.

    > I would agree.
    >
    >> The need for accessing mail is a business sort of thing and the suave
    >> fast
    >> tracker would rather have a recognizably expensive high end laptop, such
    >> as
    >> Dell's new thin line machines that our deep draft managers are all
    >> angling
    >> for.

    > Some people feel differently when they have to lug the big thing around
    > and have it heating up their lap.

    True, but these new ones are fairly light, about 3.5 pounds, and small with
    a 15" LCD that is really bright. The batteries will go almost 12 hours,
    too. My leader's machine is about half the size and weight of my old Dell
    D600 Latitude.

    > Of course, some of the high-end machines cost more just because they are
    > thinner and lighter, if not cooler (in the Centrigrade sense).
    >
    > You're talking here about bizzizzmen, who depend upon work-based
    > status and perks for their self-esteem. And have the budget to feed
    > that need.

    They are pretty much the market for these things. The kids get their mail
    and text on their phones along with music. The iPod suites them.

    > Myself, although I do indeed have one of these perks (a ****-hot DELL
    > Latitude D820 running Linux, with an all-but-unused Windows partition),
    > I would love to have a small machine like the Eee that I can carry
    > around like a book and use for email, browsing, and, of course, some
    > C/C++ and Python programming.

    That is your classic too big notebook that you mentioned above. Programming
    on the peanut whistles is not any fun though once you are used to a fast
    workstation.

    > In any case, the Eee seems to be doing quite well, so there are people
    > out there who want such a machine.

    True, but they had very limited initial availability, too.

  16. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    In article <_X7gj.46359$_m.36761@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    Linonut wrote:

    > In any case, the Eee seems to be doing quite well, so there are people
    > out there who want such a machine.

    I'm interested--just have to see one first, to see how well it works for
    the web. I'd love to be able to reasonably read O'Reilly books online
    via my Safari Library subscription, while reclining on my comfy couch.

    I just don't think it is going to compete with either iPod or Apple
    laptops. For a portable media player, size matters--the iPods are small
    enough to stick in your pocket and forget about. The EEE is big enough
    that it is something you have to be aware of (well, unless you are
    carrying a backpack, then you could throw it in there and probably not
    notice it).

    As far as laptops go, Apple will probably continue to aim at a market
    that needs more oomph than the EEE provides.

    Don't get me wrong. I think the EEE might fit very well into a niche
    between portable media players, and more "serious" laptops, and that
    niche could be quite big, but I just don't think it is in competition
    with the things on either side of that niche.

    There is one thing that has me hesitating about buying an EEE, though.
    I don't have enough situations where I *need* something in that niche,
    so it would more be to play with. But the Amazon Kindle is looking to
    be a good contender for my next "device to play with" expenditure. So I
    think I'm going to sit tight and see how things develop.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  17. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:_X7gj.46359$_m.36761@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> Myself, although I do indeed have one of these perks (a ****-hot DELL
    >> Latitude D820 running Linux, with an all-but-unused Windows partition),
    >> I would love to have a small machine like the Eee that I can carry
    >> around like a book and use for email, browsing, and, of course, some
    >> C/C++ and Python programming.

    > That is your classic too big notebook that you mentioned above.

    ?

    The Eee PC is a subnotebook, 7" screen. It's getting close to my
    small-book profile.

    > Programming on the peanut whistles is not any fun though once you are
    > used to a fast workstation.

    Actually, the only down side in that regard to me is the small screen,
    800x480.

    Otherwise, I spend most of my time in my programmer's editor, and it
    also sports a tabbed interface (I'm talking about vim here) if you want
    it.

    Sure, building from scratch will take awhile, but I can do something
    else in the meantime on that machine, and the next builds take only
    moments.

    Now, I must confess that the Eee is still a bit to big in one regard --
    I can't sneak it into my pocket when my wife and I go to some social
    obligation

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  18. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> In any case, the Eee seems to be doing quite well, so there are people
    >> out there who want such a machine.

    > I'm interested--just have to see one first, to see how well it works for
    > the web. I'd love to be able to reasonably read O'Reilly books online
    > via my Safari Library subscription, while reclining on my comfy couch.
    >
    > I just don't think it is going to compete with either iPod or Apple
    > laptops. For a portable media player, size matters--the iPods are small
    > enough to stick in your pocket and forget about. The EEE is big enough
    > that it is something you have to be aware of (well, unless you are
    > carrying a backpack, then you could throw it in there and probably not
    > notice it).

    The Eee is much smaller than the big fat 1600-page Python book I've been
    lugging around the last few weeks .

    > Don't get me wrong. I think the EEE might fit very well into a niche
    > between portable media players, and more "serious" laptops, and that
    > niche could be quite big, but I just don't think it is in competition
    > with the things on either side of that niche.
    >
    > There is one thing that has me hesitating about buying an EEE, though.
    > I don't have enough situations where I *need* something in that niche,
    > so it would more be to play with. But the Amazon Kindle is looking to
    > be a good contender for my next "device to play with" expenditure. So I
    > think I'm going to sit tight and see how things develop.

    The Kindle looks interesting, too, as does the OLPC.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  19. Re: The most hated company in the pc industry

    rat wrote:

    >Think Yugo. Think Loser.

    Think Toyota. Think Winner.

+ Reply to Thread