[News] Broken USPTO Fuelled (While All Other Budgets Decline) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Broken USPTO Fuelled (While All Other Budgets Decline) - Linux ; U.S. Patent Office gets funding increase ,----[ Quote ] | he U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has received a budget increase of | about 9 percent for the government's 2008 fiscal year, prompting praise from | some tech groups. ...

  1. [News] Broken USPTO Fuelled (While All Other Budgets Decline)

    U.S. Patent Office gets funding increase

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | he U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has received a budget increase of
    | about 9 percent for the government's 2008 fiscal year, prompting praise from
    | some tech groups.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

    And look what /else/ is new:

    Digg And Others Sued For Infringing Infamous Computer Solitaire Patent

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, perhaps the most interesting is the third case discussed by the
    | Troll Tracker. It involves the somewhat infamous patents of Sheldon Goldberg,
    | which got plenty of attention back in 2004 when he started claiming that
    | computer solitaire was covered by his patents. The two key patents are for a
    | network gaming system and a method for playing games on a network.
    `----

    U.S. trade panel probes IBM-Asustek patent complaint

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The trade agency said in a statement that the case would be
    | referred to an administrative law judge, who will hold a
    | hearing and make an initial determination. That decision is
    | subject to review by the ITC commissioners.
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssT...33227220080104

    State of the patent troll.

    Related:

    Yahoo Patent Troll

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvFUSHwRXJE

    Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In two consecutive days, The Wall Street Journal presented two different
    | answers. The first is not surprising: Intellectual Ventures, the brainchild
    | of ex-Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold. It's now out "to raise as much as
    | $1 billion to help develop and patent inventions, many of them from
    | universities in Asia." *
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Playing Microsoft Patent Poker

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This time though, while Ballmer slinks away to try to con … convince people
    | that Microsoft Unified Communications somehow offers people more than what
    | Cisco's VOIP (voice over IP) been offering customers for years, a patent
    | attack finally launches at Linux. Specifically, IP Innovation, a subsidiary
    | of Acacia Technologies Group, has filed a patent infringement claim against
    | Linux distributors Novell and Red Hat. * *
    |
    | So was it just timing, or was it something more? Let's take a look at the
    | players. *
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

    Acacia and Niro File Another Multi-Defendant Lawsuit on JPEG-on-a-Website
    Patent, Bringing Total to 16 Companies Sued

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Assuming it files one per month for the next 39 months until the patent
    | expires, then what Acacia is really seeking is $600M from US industry for the
    | JPEG-on-a-website patent. My guess is they’ll sue many more companies than
    | that, and seek up to a billion dollars – which, assuming a 33% contingency
    | fee (which is low, probably), amounts to a cool $100 million per year for the
    | Niro firm.
    |
    | And people wonder why he’d like to shut down websites critical of Acacia and
    | other patent trolls. The real question is what does he want from you and me,
    | for our photo blogs, our personal websites. His statements to IP Law 360 only
    | referred to companies.
    |
    | The other real question is how many companies will spend millions in
    | attorneys fees to fight rather than pay the $500K or $1M or $2M that Acacia
    | is demanding. That's the sad state of patent litigation these days.
    `----

    http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/200...her-multi.html

    Most of Chinese New Patents Are Garbage

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On November 27, 2007, the Innovative National Construction and Intellectual
    | Property Symposium was held in Beijing. Representatives from a variety of
    | industries spoke at the event; most of them expressed their worries and
    | frustrations with China’s IPR protection framework. Mr. Fu Shaoming, head of
    | the IPR unit from Foxconn, China’s largest electronics OEM firm, claimed in
    | his speech that 90% of China's new and practical patents are de facto garbage
    | and should be discarded.
    `----

    http://www.chinatzone.com/news_dls.p...a%20%20Summary

  2. Re: [News] Broken USPTO Fuelled (While All Other Budgets Decline)

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > U.S. Patent Office gets funding increase
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| he U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has received a budget increase of
    >| about 9 percent for the government's 2008 fiscal year, prompting praise from
    >| some tech groups.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

    Ah, clearly they'd not dug a deep enough hole, so they've been given a
    larger shovel.

    > And look what /else/ is new:
    >
    > Digg And Others Sued For Infringing Infamous Computer Solitaire Patent
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| However, perhaps the most interesting is the third case discussed by the
    >| Troll Tracker. It involves the somewhat infamous patents of Sheldon Goldberg,
    >| which got plenty of attention back in 2004 when he started claiming that
    >| computer solitaire was covered by his patents. The two key patents are for a
    >| network gaming system and a method for playing games on a network.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080104/025253.shtml

    Presumably this is referring to patience games?