Re: RIAA, SETI, cancer, and future history. - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: RIAA, SETI, cancer, and future history. - Linux ; There's an interesting thread here titled, "RIAA: It's 'Ilegal' to Rip Your Own CD's to Your Own Computer." I think this topic reaches very much farther than the current discussion. Namely, it offers a plausible model for why SETI hasn't ...

  1. Re: RIAA, SETI, cancer, and future history.

    There's an interesting thread here titled,
    "RIAA: It's 'Ilegal' to Rip Your Own CD's to
    Your Own Computer." I think this topic
    reaches very much farther than the current
    discussion. Namely, it offers a plausible
    model for why SETI hasn't found anything. It
    is because, advanced cultures lock-in, stop
    changing, and decay.

    It's like the cross-linking by which a
    plastic polymerizes from a liquid into a
    solid. The concept of government by law not
    people, is necessary to the evolution of an
    advanced society; but then at a point a
    cancer appears: the 'government by law' goes
    too far. Maybe this *necessarily* happens,
    and in the RIAA, in DRM, and of course in a
    lot that comes from Washington, we see this
    happening. This leads to a kind of future
    history, foreseeable, like in Asimov's
    psychohistory, that A necessarily presages B;
    and any culture that can advance, only goes
    on to the point where its legal system kills
    it. At a point that is about where we are
    now. Thus the RIAA connects closely to the
    lack of results we see from SETI: a cancer
    on society kills it; and our future history
    is predestined to degradation, collapse, and
    chaos.

    -- Martha Adams [cola 2008 Jan 5]

  2. Re: RIAA, SETI, cancer, and future history.

    * Martha Adams fired off this tart reply:

    > Thus the RIAA connects closely to the
    > lack of results we see from SETI: a cancer
    > on society kills it; and our future history
    > is predestined to degradation, collapse, and
    > chaos.

    So we should start search for unintelligent life!

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  3. Re: RIAA, SETI, cancer, and future history.

    Linonut did eloquently scribble:
    > * Martha Adams fired off this tart reply:

    >> Thus the RIAA connects closely to the
    >> lack of results we see from SETI: a cancer
    >> on society kills it; and our future history
    >> is predestined to degradation, collapse, and
    >> chaos.

    > So we should start search for unintelligent life!

    Mission accomplished. It's right here in the form of all the wintrolls.

    Oh... you meant extraterrestrial unintelligent life?
    | in |good to you so far... |

  4. Re: RIAA, SETI, cancer, and future history.

    Verily I say unto thee, that Martha Adams spake thusly:

    > There's an interesting thread here titled, "RIAA: It's 'Ilegal' to
    > Rip Your Own CD's to Your Own Computer." I think this topic reaches
    > very much farther than the current discussion. Namely, it offers a
    > plausible model for why SETI hasn't found anything. It is because,
    > advanced cultures lock-in, stop changing, and decay.

    I have another theory.

    The aliens have, in fact, already arrived.

    Years ago, a primitive species from another galaxy, covertly colonised
    our planet, and we didn't notice. The reason we didn't notice was that
    these invaders were actually microscopic viruses, transported to Earth
    in a meteorite shower.

    As with all viral entities, these aliens had but one goal ... complete
    assimilation of the "host", i.e. *us*. The infected hosts exhibited an
    equal propensity for assimilation, and so the infection spread rapidly
    throughout the world, creating generations of ever-more mutated human/
    alien hybrids.

    Outwardly, there is nothing to distinguish these mutants from ordinary
    people, other than their voracious appetite for assimilation, and also
    a rather unnerving tendency to extend their tongues in preparation for
    the assimilation process; actually a proboscis that injects the victim
    with the viral agent. If you're unfortunate enough to actually witness
    this grotesque ritual, then I am afraid it is already too late. By the
    time you hear the words "more must rise", you've been assimilated.

    Although it may be impossible to know how many have been infected, the
    more prolific aliens have been identified through their indiscretion.

    This is a rare photograph of one such alien, undergoing transformation
    in preparation for assimilation:

    http://media.slated.org/albums/userp...similation.png

    Good luck, and remember ... beware the tongue.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
    | how amazingly unlikely is your birth;
    | and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
    | 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."
    | ~ Monty Python
    `----

    03:02:49 up 21 days, 38 min, 5 users, load average: 0.01, 0.08, 0.08

  5. Re: RIAA, SETI, cancer, and future history.

    ____/ [H]omer on Friday 11 January 2008 03:04 : \____

    SETI@Tongue

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    11:05:01 up 31 days, 23:53, 4 users, load average: 0.41, 0.78, 1.29

  6. Re: RIAA, SETI, cancer, and future history.

    * [H]omer fired off this tart reply:

    > http://media.slated.org/albums/userp...similation.png
    >
    > Good luck, and remember ... beware the tongue.

    Another famous tongue:

    http://www.golfnoise.com/storage/MichaelJordan.jpg

    --
    The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.

  7. Re: RIAA, SETI, cancer, and future history.

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 11 January 2008 15:22 : \____

    > * [H]omer fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> http://media.slated.org/albums/userp...similation.png
    >>
    >> Good luck, and remember ... beware the tongue.

    > Another famous tongue:
    >
    > http://www.golfnoise.com/storage/MichaelJordan.jpg

    Hehe.

    Yes, but he's a cool guy, not an insane gorilla.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake
    Cpu(s): 25.1%us, 4.1%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.8%id, 3.7%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st