[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Latest Freaky Patent, Several Junk Patents Rejected - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Latest Freaky Patent, Several Junk Patents Rejected - Linux ; Microsoft patents frustration-detecting help system ,----[ Quote ] | Is this patent a harbinger of a dystopian future where computer users' | biorhythms will be monitored to increase efficiency? Unlikely. The idea, | which was birthed at Microsoft Research, is ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Latest Freaky Patent, Several Junk Patents Rejected

    Microsoft patents frustration-detecting help system

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is this patent a harbinger of a dystopian future where computer users'
    | biorhythms will be monitored to increase efficiency? Unlikely. The idea,
    | which was birthed at Microsoft Research, is simply a more advanced version of
    | user focus group testing that Microsoft (and most other software companies)
    | have been doing for years now. Still, if your employer asks you to patch on a
    | pair of electrodes before sitting down to work in the morning, my advice is
    | to find another company to work for.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...lp-system.html

    U.S. Patent Office officially rejects all sixteen Test.com patent claims

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In another step forward for EFF's Patent Busting Project, the United States
    | Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) last week issued an official rejection of
    | all sixteen claims of the Test.com Internet test-taking method patent. The
    | PTO granted re-examination last year after EFF submitted a petition that
    | included several examples of prior art from a company called IntraLearn that
    | had not previously been part of the PTO record. In light of that prior art,
    | the PTO has now found that all sixteen of Test.com's claims obvious and
    | non-patentable.
    `----

    http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2007/12...-patent-claims

    Earlier:

    Microsoft patents Wish Lists

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has been granted a patent for electronic Wish Lists. The patent,
    | 7,315,834, was filed in April 2005 and granted on New Year's Day.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...nts_wish_list/

    Related:

    Microsoft hopes to patent 'automatic goodbye messages'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is trying to patent automatic goodbye messages, including "Have a
    | great afternoon!" and "Ciao, Harry!"
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...dbye_messages/

    Microsoft Deems Emotiflags Patent-Worthy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft said you could count on them to improve patent quality.
    | For an example of how they're raising the bar on innovation, check
    | out this just-published patent application for Emotiflags, which
    | Microsoft explains solves the problem of indicating an emotion
    | associated with an email message. At the risk of infringing on the
    | patent, this one Makes Me Mad!"
    `----

    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...38207&from=rss

    Microsoft patent hints at pay-as-you-go OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Microsoft patent application from June 2005, published only today,
    | titled "System and method for delivery of a modular operating system"
    | may signal a fundamental change for what an operating systems stands
    | for and how it is sold.
    `----

    http://www.istartedsomething.com.nyu...-go-os-patent/

    A Patent Lie

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols
    | anyone can implement is communism...
    | *
    | ...Mr. Gates' secret is out now--he too was a "communist;" he, too,
    | recognized that software patents were harmful-until Microsoft
    | became one of these giants...
    `----

    http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+o...j=news.1071.20

    Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
    | that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
    | almost any participation by the small business community.
    |
    | Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
    | competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
    | large corporations and the patent industry.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
    | Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
    | But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
    | report in any way
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
    | said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
    | all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
    | those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
    `----

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/bi...usinesses.html

    MS Seeks Patent On Virtual Fuzzy Dice

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft just published a patent application for an adaptive heads-up user
    | interface for automobiles. It covers, among other things, virtual fuzzy dice
    | that appear to move with automobile movements. *
    `----

    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...10253&from=rss

    Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent
    | application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted
    | advertising as 'part of the OS.' *
    `----

    Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
    | sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
    | user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
    | messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
    | we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
    | messages? * *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...e-systems.html

    Microsoft stole KittenAuth, renamed it and claimed it as their own.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Microsoft Asirra project sites Oli as a source yet the Yahoo news story
    | did not. I can only imagine that the more and more the Asirra project is
    | pushed into the public domain, the less Oli will be cited as having the
    | original idea. This isn't actually fair and I'd be very very upset if I was
    | him. The idea is excellent yet the credit certainly won't be passed in his
    | direction anymore. Any financial gain from the project won't pay royalties to
    | him either and it's not like he could patent the idea originally. * * *
    `----

    http://www.seopher.com/articles/micr..._as_their_own_

    Microsoft files further adware patent

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2007/09_14a.xml

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 'MS are key sponsors of "Voices For Innovation" aimed at MS customers
    | and designed to put a positive spin on software patents and enlist people
    | to lobby on their behalf.'
    `----

    http://aralbalkan.com/939

    Patent creators say Microsoft lied to get better deal on DVR patents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is facing a patent lawsuit over its failed Ultimate TV DVR
    | system. The lawsuit, filed by joint venture company Intellivision
    | (no relation to the Mattel console), accuses the company of making
    | fraudulent and misleading claims in order to acquire intellectual
    | property without having to make royalty payments.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...r-patents.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2bpmv7

    Fun with Google Patent Search: Why does the maker of Windows hold a patent on
    a door hinge?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The patent was granted in 1998 and received a dribble of publicity
    | in 1999, but I'm hard pressed to find any meaningful explanation for
    | a door hinge being in the control of the company that made Windows famous.
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/9721

    Commerce Secretary names Schramm to innovation panel

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He will be part of a lineup that includes the Microsoft Corp. CEO
    | Steve Ballmer, 3M CEO George Buckley, UPS Chairman and CEO Michael Eskew,
    | IBM CEO Samuel Palmisano and Wal-Mart Stores Vice Chairman John
    | Menzer.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061206/1386414.html?.v=2

    Did Microsoft just patent sudo?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1985, huh? And when did this Microsoft patent happen? It was filed in
    | 2000. Well gee, that doesn't make sense. How'd they get the patent?
    | It certainly falls under the category of "obvious" if there's prior
    | art such as sudo.
    |
    | What makes this whole thing funny, though, is something I saw a couple
    | days ago. Head over to Builder-AU and listen to Peter Watson from
    | Microsoft. He says,
    |
    | * "User Account Control is a great idea and strategically
    | * a direction that sort of all operating systems and all technology
    | * should be heading down"
    |
    | Excuse me? Does he really believe this is all Microsoft's great new
    | idea?
    |
    | In the end, this seems like a patent that Microsoft will hold up and
    | say "we have a patent and Linux is violating it!" They won't ever
    | sue on it though (just leave the threat hanging to scare away
    | potential users), because then they could have the patent revoked.
    | It's better for them to just wave it around.
    `----

    http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspo...tent-sudo.html

    Microsoft Wins in Supreme Court; AT&T Ruling Overturned

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a stunning 7-1 decision with extremely broad implications in
    | the field of patents and patentability, the US Supreme Court has
    | overturned a Federal Circuit ruling that was in favor of AT&T,
    | and has apparently affirmed Microsoft's arguments that software
    | coupled with the device on which the software is installed
    | cannot be considered patentable.
    `----

    http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...ned/1177944397

    If you hate Microsoft you’ll really hate this: Patent app calls for “enforcing”
    ad playback within downloaded multimedia files

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From my read of a Microsoft Patent application just published today,
    | technology is being proposed that will make it impossible for users who
    | download multimedia files to play these files unless advertising messages
    | inserted within these files are viewed.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=2916

    Microsoft patents Tivo for commercial breaks

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has patented the idea of inserting fresh advertisements
    | into old recordings on personal video recorders, to ensure you see
    | today's ads even if you're watching a recording from last week.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...46&Itemid=1063

    In Microsoft Patent App, TV Watches You

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a just-published patent application for delivering Advertising that is
    | relevant to a person, nine Microsoft inventors spell out plans for using
    | cameras, remote controls and biometric sensors...
    `----

    http://techdirt.com/articles/20070730/162255.shtml

    Advertising that is relevant to a person - classic case of patent trolling

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Patent application Advertising that is relevant to a person just filed by
    | Microsoft is a splendid example of patent abuse or patent trolling.
    `----

    http://www.ventureitch.com/?p=372

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Latest Freaky Patent, Several Junk Patents Rejected

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft patents frustration-detecting help system

    Is this, like, CLIPPY on STEROIDS??

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Latest Freaky Patent, Several Junk Patents Rejected

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft patents frustration-detecting help system
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Is this patent a harbinger of a dystopian future where computer users'
    > | biorhythms will be monitored to increase efficiency? Unlikely. The idea,
    > | which was birthed at Microsoft Research, is simply a more advanced
    > | version of user focus group testing that Microsoft (and most other
    > | software companies) have been doing for years now. Still, if your
    > | employer asks you to patch on a pair of electrodes before sitting down
    > | to work in the morning, my advice is to find another company to work
    > | for.

    Ah! Jussaminute! Are these electrodes attached to your nuts?
    If so,... well... I'll think of something soon...

    > `----
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars

    post/20080103-microsoft-patents-frustration-detecting-help-system.html

+ Reply to Thread