ODF vs. OOXML: War of the Words Chapter 5

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the two articles of faith that Eric Kriss and Peter Quinn embraced in
| drafting their evolving Enterprise Technical Reference Model (ETRM) was this:
| products built to "open standards" are more desirable than those that aren't.
| Superficially, the concept made perfect sense – only buy products that you
| can mix and match. That way, you can take advantage of both price
| competition as well as a wide selection of alternative products from multiple
| vendors, each with its own value-adding features. And if things don't work
| out, well, you're not locked in, and can swap out the loser and shop for a
| winner.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...80104062428565

Quotes for the day:

"There won’t be anything we won’t say to people to try and convince them that
our way is the way to go."

--Bill Gates

"Two years after you ship a product, no one will remember if you were two
months late. Everyone will remember if you ship a bad product."

--Windows 2000 Marketing Manager Jim Ewel

Crime, crime, crime. Thy name is OOXML.

Related:

,----[ Quote ]
| Just yesterday I was sitting in the relevant meeting of SNV/UK14
| (http://www.snv.ch/), that decides how Switzerland will vote. The
| chairman (Hans-Rudolf Thomann) explained the following rules:
|
| - we are here to create standards, not to reject them
| - if we reach consensus (>=75%) to vote for Microsoft, we will vote
| * for Microsoft
| - if we only reach a majority (>=50%) to vote for Microsoft, we
| * will vote for Microsoft
| - if we reach a majority to vote against Microsoft, we will vote
| * for Microsoft
| - if we reach consensus to vote against Microsoft, we will abstain
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-15521/swiss-cheese

Microsoft’s secretive standards orgs in Former Yugoslavia

,----[ Quote ]
| Croatian laws keep its national body’s votes secret, so the only way for the
| Croatian public to find out how the process went would be if a board member
| illegally leaked information out of CSI. This is, of course, unlikely to
| happen. And the Serbian national standardization body is not officially
| formed, so those two votes were easy for Microsoft, and probably not only
| ones around the globe. * * *
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...ml.html?page=1

Microsoft Tech Ed 2007: OpenXML

,----[ Quote ]
| He was asked "Why did Microsoft push OOXML through the "Fast Track" process
| instead of the standard ISO process? Wouldn't they get less resistance than
| faced now?" *
|
| His response was very frank: "Office is a USD$10 billion revenue generator
| for the company. When ODF was made an ISO standard, Microsoft had to react
| quickly as certain governments have procurement policies which prefer ISO
| standards. Ecma and OASIS are 'international standards', but ISO is the
| international 'Gold Standard'. Microsoft therefore had to rush this standard
| through. Its a simple matter of commercial interests!" * *

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007...oft-tech-.html

Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Evid...tes/1188335569