Evaluating prospects for Linux growth in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Vast legions of open-source software enthusiasts and industry analysts
| eagerly proclaim every twelve months that the elusive Year of the Linux
| Desktop is finally upon us. These prognosticators imagine scenarios in which
| the disgruntled techno-proletariat casts off the grim shackles of Microsoft
| oppression and embraces the sweet liberation of peerless, penguin-powered
| performance and productivity. Although these prophecies have obviously yet to
| be fulfilled and Linux adoption on the desktop remains limited, the
| open-source OS is rapidly gaining immense traction in the mobile and embedded
| space.
|
| [...]
|
| Open source is rapidly becoming pervasive in the software industry and
| prospects for additional growth this year look very bright. As the
| expectations of users and companies continue to evolve, the value and
| importance of open-source software will inevitably grow in 2008.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...h-in-2008.html

Related:

2007: That Was a Very Good (Linux) Year

,----[ Quote ]
| This once I wish I could attach an audio clip to the headline, so that you
| could hear William Shatner singing "It Was a Very Good Year", just to get
| into the proper mood. Because 2007 was a good year for computing on a number
| of different levels: better cheaper hardware, Linux continued to mature and
| grow, and thanks to Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) there is not only
| some actual competition in the tech marketplace, but real growth and
| progress. * * *
|
| The most important thing that came to light this year is how much Linux and
| FOSS drive the computer industry. It's not the oldtime traditional commercial
| companies that are "driving innovation" as they like to say, and which makes
| me want to hit something every time I hear it because it's such a big fat
| fib, but Linux and the FOSS world. So rather than getting all violent, let's
| take a look at some of the ways that Linux is leaving everyone else in the
| dust. * * *
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3719051

Signposts of GNU/Linux Growth in 2007, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| It is sometimes forgotten that GNU/Linux is more than just a desktop
| operating system. Linux, being a well-engineered kernel, is used extensively
| and also funded for its important role in several different areas of
| computing. One needs to look for evidence of growth not only in desktops.
| Judgment must be based on multiple areas where GNU/Linux gains traction.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...le.php/3719096

The top Linux/FOSS events of 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, it’s been said before, but this time it’s true: 2007 was undoubtedly
| the year which saw Linux go mainstream. Linux has long accepted as a server
| platform and a playground for tweakers, hackers and the adventurous, but 2007
| saw major events which entrenched Linux on the desktop. Let’s look at what
| happened.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15922/1141/

Survey Says … Linux Desktop Is Ever More Popular

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing we can say about the Linux desktop in 2007 is that there are
| more users than ever. The Linux Foundation 2006 survey had fewer than 10,000
| people signing in. This year more than 20,000 Linux desktop users reported
| in.
`----

Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
| a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
| Linux distribution of choice.
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...19940,p,0.html

Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

,----[ Quote ]
| DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
| has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
| in the past year.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatc...es/013576.html

Desktop Linux on the Rise, Linux Foundation Reports

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594