Apple, Google set pace, Microsoft struggles - Linux

This is a discussion on Apple, Google set pace, Microsoft struggles - Linux ; The primary movers and shakers in the technology world over the past 12 months have been Apple and Google. With its share price up nearly 135% last year and over US$6 billion in revenue, Apple has gone from strength to ...

  1. Apple, Google set pace, Microsoft struggles

    The primary movers and shakers in the technology world over the past
    12 months have been Apple and Google. With its share price up nearly
    135% last year and over US$6 billion in revenue, Apple has gone from
    strength to strength....

    Last year Google reported a more-than 50% gain in third-quarter
    revenue to $4.23 billion compared with $2.69 billion in the same time
    the previous year. With a number of new services planned for 2008,
    analysts predict that shares in the company could reach $1,000 from
    the present $680 mark....

    Software giant Microsoft has been struggling to persuade users to
    switch to Vista, its latest incarnation of Windows, as a number of
    compatibility and security issues continue to plague the operating
    system. It hopes the release of Service Pack 1 early this year will
    help to smooth out the initial glitches and people will slowly start
    to move from XP.

    Last year was also a period for record security breaches and data
    loss, according to industry groups. The loss or theft or personal
    information such as credit card and social security numbers has soared
    as hackers stay ahead of software security patches and users struggle
    to keep up. More is being spent by governments, agencies, companies
    and institutions to protect their ever increasing volumes of data with
    more elaborate security measures, encryption and firewalls....

    http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_.../JA05Dj03.html

  2. Re: Apple, Google set pace, Microsoft struggles

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Friday 04 January 2008 21:51 : \____

    > Last year Google reported a more-than 50% gain in third-quarter
    > revenue to $4.23 billion compared with $2.69 billion in the same time
    > the previous year.

    Just watch out for tomorrow's monopolies, powered by GNU/Linux, funding Free
    software products. So far they have at least behaved reasonably well, not
    truly betraying any of their partners. Their main mistake was with a video
    download (DRM?) service that retired, leaving buyers with compensation
    coupons, but no access to acquired videos.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | http://debian.org
    Tasks: 124 total, 1 running, 123 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  3. Re: Apple, Google set pace, Microsoft struggles

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:51:14 -0800, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu scribbled
    down:

    > The primary movers and shakers in the technology world over the past
    > 12 months have been Apple and Google. With its share price up nearly
    > 135% last year and over US$6 billion in revenue, Apple has gone from
    > strength to strength....
    >
    > Last year Google reported a more-than 50% gain in third-quarter
    > revenue to $4.23 billion compared with $2.69 billion in the same time
    > the previous year. With a number of new services planned for 2008,
    > analysts predict that shares in the company could reach $1,000 from
    > the present $680 mark....
    >
    > Software giant Microsoft has been struggling to persuade users to
    > switch to Vista, its latest incarnation of Windows, as a number of
    > compatibility and security issues continue to plague the operating
    > system. It hopes the release of Service Pack 1 early this year will
    > help to smooth out the initial glitches and people will slowly start
    > to move from XP.
    >
    > Last year was also a period for record security breaches and data
    > loss, according to industry groups. The loss or theft or personal
    > information such as credit card and social security numbers has soared
    > as hackers stay ahead of software security patches and users struggle
    > to keep up. More is being spent by governments, agencies, companies
    > and institutions to protect their ever increasing volumes of data with
    > more elaborate security measures, encryption and firewalls....
    >

    > http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_.../JA05Dj03.html

    For the most part I agree. Microsoft was "the company" about a decade ago.
    Since then they have become complacent and have rested on their laurels
    for too long. Some will argue this isn't true because MS diversified into
    the Zune, XBox, etc. market. But IMO their offering here are 'weak' and
    certainly not best-in-class. I suspect that Microsoft assumed that their
    brand and name recognition would be enough to make a mediocre product
    successful.

    Today Apple has shown that it is quite nimble and continues to set the
    standard for excellence. Google... There I see the "next Microsoft" some
    day because other than search, Google has basically failed in all of its
    other endeavors. (Sans YouTube which was already successful when they
    bought it.)

    --
    Ubuntu Linux
    16:52:31 up 135 days, 5:07, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.07, 0.08

    You are scrupulously honest, frank, and straightforward. Therefore you
    have few friends.

  4. Re: Apple, Google set pace, Microsoft struggles

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:57:05 -0500, Jon Nesbit wrote:

    > For the most part I agree. Microsoft was "the company" about a decade
    > ago. Since then they have become complacent and have rested on their
    > laurels for too long. Some will argue this isn't true because MS
    > diversified into the Zune, XBox, etc. market. But IMO their offering
    > here are 'weak' and certainly not best-in-class. I suspect that
    > Microsoft assumed that their brand and name recognition would be enough
    > to make a mediocre product successful.

    I think it's a matter of taste -- didn't Steve Jobs say that Microsoft
    had no taste, or bad taste? Their focus isn't, and hasn't been,
    "products" in the normal sense of the term for quite some time.

    -Thufir

  5. Re: Apple, Google set pace, Microsoft struggles

    Thufir wrote:

    > I think it's a matter of taste -- didn't Steve Jobs say that Microsoft
    > had no taste, or bad taste? Their focus isn't, and hasn't been,
    > "products" in the normal sense of the term for quite some time.

    the actual quote:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzKj-1HaKw

    another steve moment, pin-point accurate as always.

+ Reply to Thread