Surprise... - Linux

This is a discussion on Surprise... - Linux ; I just went shopping for USB FLASH DRIVES and found a good deal on TOSHIBA brand USB-4GTR's at OfficeMax. The really neat part is that the display card, where is says, "OS Requirements"... Linux is listed. :') The really humorous ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Surprise...

    I just went shopping for USB FLASH DRIVES and found a good deal on TOSHIBA
    brand USB-4GTR's at OfficeMax.

    The really neat part is that the display card, where is says, "OS
    Requirements"... Linux is listed. :')

    The really humorous part of my shopping spree was the walk down the "windows
    OS isle"... Shelves and shelves of Windows Vista... collecting dust. When
    I asked the sales person about the sales of Window Vista packages... she
    said they're only on display because they have to be there. Now, that's
    a "WOW FACTOR" if I ever heard one. As for ZUNE and Vista powered
    laptops... yeah, they sell them... but they always come back...

    Hehe! Amazing...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  2. Re: Surprise...

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 04 January 2008 16:48 : \____

    > I just went shopping for USB FLASH DRIVES and found a good deal on TOSHIBA
    > brand USB-4GTR's at OfficeMax.
    >
    > The really neat part is that the display card, where is says, "OS
    > Requirements"... Linux is listed. :')
    >
    > The really humorous part of my shopping spree was the walk down the "windows
    > OS isle"... Shelves and shelves of Windows Vista... collecting dust. When
    > I asked the sales person about the sales of Window Vista packages... she
    > said they're only on display because they have to be there. Now, that's
    > a "WOW FACTOR" if I ever heard one. As for ZUNE and Vista powered
    > laptops... yeah, they sell them... but they always come back...

    Zune 'enjoys' clearance sales ATM. All the brown s* must go.

    > Hehe! Amazing...

    You story sounded familiar. 2 weeks ago:

    Interesting comment from CompUSA

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Every single one of them he said was returned from consumers... and that they
    | (CompUSA) couldn't ship them back. As he heard, Microsoft wasn't giving
    | credit back for unsold or returned copies... and didn't want the returned
    | figures made public... He wouldn't say that every single one of them
    | exchanged for a copy of Xp, he didn't know if that was true. So, I asked how
    | many boxes did they have. Same glare, followed with a "You do not want to
    | know" type statement. * * *
    `----

    http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/12/i...m-compusa.html

    I can't imagine who will actually /buy/ Vista (unless it comes preinstalled and
    then returned to the shop or replaced). Gutmann likened it to cutting the legs
    of runners and seeing who runs fastest on crutches, which reminded me of an
    image I saw 2 days ago:

    http://beranger.org/blogo8/arguing_over_internet.jpg

    I can't think of where I can find the one about Vista (specifically) which
    shows wheelchairs at the special Olympics... or the cartoon with the chair
    that has spikes on it.

    Mac OS and GNU/Linux will gain a lot from Windows Catastrophe(R) in years to
    come. The same rotten DNA will plague Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Home
    Server, I can assure you based on what I've read. I'm still wondering what
    they'll do with Novell and whether that Apple lawsuit in Europe came from
    Microsoft (again), by proxy.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
    17:05:01 up 25 days, 5:53, 4 users, load average: 1.09, 0.83, 0.88

  3. Re: Surprise...

    On Jan 4, 11:48*am, Jerry McBride wrote:

    What's amazing about the USA entering a recession? When you're out of
    work you'll be less amazed...and maybe have more time to play with
    your 'puter.

    RL

  4. Re: Surprise...

    "Jerry McBride" wrote in message

    > I just went shopping for USB FLASH DRIVES and found a good deal on TOSHIBA
    > brand USB-4GTR's at OfficeMax.
    >
    > The really neat part is that the display card, where is says, "OS
    > Requirements"... Linux is listed. :')
    >
    > The really humorous part of my shopping spree was the walk down the
    > "windows
    > OS isle"... Shelves and shelves of Windows Vista... collecting dust. When
    > I asked the sales person about the sales of Window Vista packages... she
    > said they're only on display because they have to be there.

    I'm sure that somebody working as a "sales person" at Office Max really
    knows and understand the corporate policy on why certain items are on
    display. Obviously she knows enough about sales to tell a linux loser like
    you what you want to hear so that you'll buy stuff from the store. She was
    probably laughing at you with her co-workers the moment you walked out the
    door.

  5. Re: Surprise...

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:21:14 -0800 (PST)
    <7ae7b289-6b69-4f3c-a91c-c315d9cdb004@d21g2000prg.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Jan 4, 11:48*am, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >
    > What's amazing about the USA entering a recession? When you're out of
    > work you'll be less amazed...and maybe have more time to play with
    > your 'puter.
    >
    > RL

    I wouldn't bet on Microsoft sales experiencing an enormous
    upsurge as unemployed people start descending on computer
    stores demanding Vista.... :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}

  6. Re: Surprise...

    Abdul Catrell wrote:

    > I'm sure that somebody working as a "sales person" at Office Max really
    > knows and understand the corporate policy on why certain items are on
    > display. Obviously she knows enough about sales to tell a linux loser like
    > you what you want to hear so that you'll buy stuff from the store. She was
    > probably laughing at you with her co-workers the moment you walked out the
    > door.

    Presumably you think they also remove dust from the vacuum cleaner and
    sprinkle it in the Vista boxes.
    --
    Stephen Fairchild

  7. Re: Surprise...

    On Jan 4, 8:48 am, Jerry McBride wrote:
    > I just went shopping for USB FLASH DRIVES and found a good deal on TOSHIBA
    > brand USB-4GTR's at OfficeMax.
    >
    > The really neat part is that the display card, where is says, "OS
    > Requirements"... Linux is listed. :')
    >
    > The really humorous part of my shopping spree was the walk down the "windows
    > OS isle"... Shelves and shelves of Windows Vista... collecting dust. When
    > I asked the sales person about the sales of Window Vista packages... she
    > said they're only on display because they have to be there. Now, that's
    > a "WOW FACTOR" if I ever heard one. As for ZUNE and Vista powered
    > laptops... yeah, they sell them... but they always come back...
    >
    > Hehe! Amazing...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry McBride (jmcbr...@mail-on.us)

    Yeah, that's one thing I noticed missing from the shelves at both
    future shop and best buy, the Zune. It's not like they sold out of
    them, there wasn't even shelf space alloted to them. No mention of
    them in any of the sales fliers either.
    I guess the Zunes were kept locked up in a back room somewhere so that
    they wouldn't squirt all over the Christmas shoppers.

  8. Re: Surprise...

    On Jan 4, 9:21 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Jan 4, 11:48 am, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >
    > What's amazing about the USA entering a recession? When you're out of
    > work you'll be less amazed...and maybe have more time to play with
    > your 'puter.
    >
    > RL

    Christ, I never in a million years would I have thought that I'd agree
    with you. But with the sub-prime market poised to implode just how
    many people will be buying new hardware?

  9. Re: Surprise...

    * Stephen Fairchild fired off this tart reply:

    > Abdul Catrell wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure that somebody working as a "sales person" at Office Max really
    >> knows and understand the corporate policy on why certain items are on
    >> display. Obviously she knows enough about sales to tell a linux loser like
    >> you what you want to hear so that you'll buy stuff from the store. She was
    >> probably laughing at you with her co-workers the moment you walked out the
    >> door.
    >>

    > Presumably you think they also remove dust from the vacuum cleaner and
    > sprinkle it in the Vista boxes.

    Nah, Abdul here probably thinks it was from his last nym, Dusty.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  10. Re: Surprise...

    bobbie wrote:

    >On Jan 4, 9:21 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >> What's amazing about the USA entering a recession? When you're out of
    >> work you'll be less amazed...and maybe have more time to play with
    >> your 'puter.

    >Christ, I never in a million years would I have thought that I'd agree
    >with you. But with the sub-prime market poised to implode just how
    >many people will be buying new hardware?

    The Zune is suffering from economic malaise? I think not. I've not
    heard of any news of unemployment increasing substantially, and only a
    tiny percentage of the populace are those who got bitten by the "sub
    prime" deal.

    (For those who aren't up on the US "sub prime" debacle - during the
    recent real-estate bubble, many people bought homes that they really
    could not afford. The mortgages were approved based on
    variable-interest-rate loans that required small down-payments and low
    initial interest rates, thus making them "affordable". The catch was
    that the interest rate was scheduled to baloon after a few years.
    But, the "catch" supposedly didn't matter, because home values were
    rising so quickly, after a few years the buyers would have enough
    equity, via inflation, to re-finance the home at a "normal", and
    fixed, interest rate.

    Then, the real-estate bubble ended, home values stagnated and dropped,
    and the re-finance option disappeared, leaving people with mortgage
    interest that they could not afford, leading to defaults and
    foreclosures.

    Worse yet, a lot of businesses were investing in these other very
    profitable mortgages, all based on the speculation that home values
    would continue to out-pace inflation. A significant financial
    fall-out ensued.)

  11. Re: Surprise...

    bobbie wrote:

    > Christ, I never in a million years would I have thought that I'd agree
    > with you. But with the sub-prime market poised to implode just how
    > many people will be buying new hardware?

    It is amazing to me how many people I talk to that are absolutely
    clueless about how shaky the economy is right now. Most have
    heard something about mortgage problems, but they usually think
    that since they already have a fixed rate mortgage it can't possibly
    effect them. Very few people understand the layers of highly
    leveraged debt instruments that run through our economy and are
    directly impacted by all those junk mortgages. Pull out enough
    pieces and the whole jenga pile comes down.

    If the government steps in and mandates the right kind of
    restructuring of all that debt, we can manage a soft landing, but
    it is still going to hurt and take years to play out.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  12. Re: Surprise...

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:06:22 -0800, bobbie wrote:

    > On Jan 4, 8:48 am, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> I just went shopping for USB FLASH DRIVES and found a good deal on
    >> TOSHIBA brand USB-4GTR's at OfficeMax.
    >>
    >> The really neat part is that the display card, where is says, "OS
    >> Requirements"... Linux is listed. :')
    >>
    >> The really humorous part of my shopping spree was the walk down the
    >> "windows OS isle"... Shelves and shelves of Windows Vista...
    >> collecting dust. When I asked the sales person about the sales of
    >> Window Vista packages... she said they're only on display because they
    >> have to be there. Now, that's a "WOW FACTOR" if I ever heard one. As
    >> for ZUNE and Vista powered laptops... yeah, they sell them... but they
    >> always come back...
    >>
    >> Hehe! Amazing...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Jerry McBride (jmcbr...@mail-on.us)

    > Yeah, that's one thing I noticed missing from the shelves at both future
    > shop and best buy, the Zune. It's not like they sold out of them, there
    > wasn't even shelf space alloted to them. No mention of them in any of
    > the sales fliers either. I guess the Zunes were kept locked up in a back
    > room somewhere so that they wouldn't squirt all over the Christmas
    > shoppers.

    What's a "zune"? ;-)

    I bought an MP3 player for my brother (he was standing there with me when
    I purchased it, so he ended up choosing his present).

    But I can't say I saw any "Zune" products in Best Buy.

  13. Re: Surprise...

    alt wrote:

    > But I can't say I saw any "Zune" products in Best Buy.

    Is this what you call "Linux advocacy"?

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...&type=category

  14. Re: Surprise...

    In article
    ,
    bobbie wrote:
    > Yeah, that's one thing I noticed missing from the shelves at both
    > future shop and best buy, the Zune. It's not like they sold out of
    > them, there wasn't even shelf space alloted to them. No mention of
    > them in any of the sales fliers either.
    > I guess the Zunes were kept locked up in a back room somewhere so that
    > they wouldn't squirt all over the Christmas shoppers.

    Zune has not been released for the Canadian market.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  15. Re: Surprise...

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:48:51 +0000, spike1 wrote:

    > Which caused the UK bank northern rock to suffer a slump which, when
    > news broke, also suffered a run on the bank as every idiot reading the
    > news thought it was about to collapse and withdrew their savings.

    A fight broke out and several people were knocked to the ground as
    customers grappled over limited supplies of bottled water at the
    Grandview Highway Costco Friday morning.

    Several hundred people had lined up, some of them as early as 4 a.m. for
    the warehouse store's 10 a.m. opening, in a bid to purchase safe drinking
    water after a boil-water advisory was issued on tap water in the Greater
    Vancouver area Thursday. The drinking water warning triggered a run on
    bottled water at warehouse outlets, grocery stores and even coffee shops
    all over the city.

    'Water fight' takes on new meaning in stores
    Randy Shore, Vancouver Sun; With files from Deb Milward
    Published: Saturday, November 18, 2006

    -Thufir

  16. Re: Surprise...

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > IMHO the vast majority of the people "hurt" by this is nothing to get
    > worked up over. A good number had to know they couldn't afford the loans
    > they had. Believing the snakeoil salesmen who told them buying places
    > they couldn't afford would solve all their problems follows in the mold
    > of a time-honored tradition the world over: snakeoil, Windows, dot-com,
    > Enron, etc.
    >
    > Maybe a very small percentage of the people suckered actually thought
    > they could afford $200,000 houses without any proof of income or by
    > working minimum wage.

    In their defense, home prices, during the bubble, were getting so
    expensive that a lot of "normal" people simply could not afford a decent
    home, without rolling the dice like they did.

    > I'm real sorry that a small bunch of people have been dumbed-down
    > sufficiently by government-sponsored schools that they can be bamboozled
    > into falling for voodoo math. I'm equally sorry that a large chunk of
    > the investment community doesn't seem to be any better at working
    > calculators than the people they helped become the victims of financial
    > fraud.

    The "investment community" is a bunch of scammers and scumbags, always on
    the prowl for someone or something to exploit. So their behavior is no
    surprise.

    > As for me, I plan on taking advantage of the fact that the loan
    > companies and their investors put themselves in a bind. I plan on saving
    > at least $20,000, and probably more, on a house that I /could/ afford
    > before the pyramid got flipped over. I'll do it without stooping to an
    > ARM.

    It's a buyer's market now, to be sure.

  17. Re: Surprise...

    * Sinister Midget fired off this tart reply:

    > Maybe a very small percentage of the people suckered actually thought
    > they could afford $200,000 houses without any proof of income or by
    > working minimum wage.

    Flip that house!

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  18. Re: Surprise...

    bobbie wrote:

    > On Jan 4, 9:21 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> On Jan 4, 11:48 am, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >>
    >> What's amazing about the USA entering a recession? When you're out of
    >> work you'll be less amazed...and maybe have more time to play with
    >> your 'puter.
    >>
    >> RL

    > Christ, I never in a million years would I have thought that I'd agree
    > with you. But with the sub-prime market poised to implode just how
    > many people will be buying new hardware?

    Right now, there are millions of my fellow Americans, collectively holding
    their breath. Nothing... and I mean nothing is moving in certain markets.
    It's only going to get worse.

    Here in New Jersey, taxes and fees have risen to untenable amounts. On my
    street alone, almost every other house has a for-sale sign in front of
    it... and no one buying. The houseing boom is over. Everyone that took a
    sub-prime mortgage is dieing a slow death right now and what this will do
    to the economy in the future is horrifying...
    And guess what? My community is in the midst of finalizing a property
    reassessment process. Sometime in this first quarter of '08, we'll all be
    given our new property tax figures. :')
    Property tax and mortgages are the talk of the town and what I've heard is
    staggering. Houses that people have owned for decades are being reassessed
    at two, three and four times their '07 values! Imagine paying $3500.00
    in '07 and now in '08 you're looking at $10,500.00! How about those that
    bought at the peak of the realstate boom, got their "balloon" or "interest
    only" and now are looking at double or triple property tax and double or
    even triple mortgage payment? They're not making it...

    It's no longer a matter of "if" the bubble breaks, it's a matter of when.
    Be prepared, it's going to be a long, cold winter for most of America.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  19. Re: Surprise...

    Jim Richardson wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >>
    >> I would not call 5% unemployment "abysmal". It was significantly worse
    >> in the 2002-2005 time-frame, and we, as always, survived it. Likewise,
    >> I've not thought that 2007 was so bad - the S&P 500 index was flat for
    >> the year, but not down. Obviously, some people and investors are getting
    >> burned, but this in not the first time in history stuff like that has
    >> happened.

    >It's normal, the market adjusts, unless the govt steps in and does
    >stupid **** trying to "control" a chaotic process, and *causes* a
    >recession with something like wage or rice freezes or other stupid
    >ideas.

    Like now, they are talking about forcing lenders to keep the interest
    rate lower than what was agreed-to, as if transferring the loss from
    one place to another will help.

    Really, the world is amazing, the way things always seem to be boom or
    bust. Like the people that I see every morning, flying down the road
    toward an obvious stopping situation, stomping on their brakes, then
    waiting until they can do it again. I watch with amazement, as they
    all do it, day after day. They all seem to agree that doing "the
    herky jerky" down the road is better than reducing peak velocity so
    that stopping may be avoided. On some days, I'll notice that I pass,
    and am passed-by, the same car in the other lane, multiple times. I'm
    keeping my speed between 20-30MPH, while they're oscillating between
    50 and 0.

  20. Re: Surprise...

    One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a null
    word.
    -- Lazarus Long

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast