The rise of OSS

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source applications are getting a stronger grip on almost every software
| vertical. In some places OSS has begun replacing prevailing proprietary
| applications. By Varun Aggarwal
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...gement01.shtml

The Fire Next Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source. The problem here is that your overseers/helpers still equate
| open source with free. The huge adoption of Linux, Firefox and Open Office
| exemplify open source projects that have yielded some good "free" products
| that are widely used and secure.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/224391?topic=117688

AT&T Driving Mobile Open Source Into The New Year

,----[ Quote ]
| It is easy to see why 2008 is being marked as the year of mobile open source.
| The move towards open source bodes well for cell phone users and third-party
| developers alike. The days of universal mobile compatibility are on the
| horizon, which is paving the future for those of us driving innovative mobile
| technologies.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...440756b,00.htm

AT&T is just faking it because it feels threatened. That's like Madonna
pretending to be mother Teresa (see below).

Related:

AT&T admits it censored other bands

| It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
| charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
| site. *
|
| [...]
|
| AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
| the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-975...=2547-1_3-0-20

Customers can sue AT&T, after all

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal court in San Francisco has decided that AT&T's wireless contract
| is "unconscionable".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...ntract_clause/

AT&T takes another step towards filtered network with investment in Vobile

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T announced earlier this year that was planning to introduce content
| filtering of some sort for all video passing across its network. Exactly what
| AT&T was thinking remained unclear: would the company truly attempt to
| reassemble the fragments of peer-to-peer transmissions, then extract video
| from all sorts of different codecs, then attempt to match it-in real time-to
| some database of copyrighted works? Would such a thing even be possible? * *
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...in-vobile.html
http://tinyurl.com/3a998z

When Networks Collide: AT&T suddenly doesn't like Apple so much.

,----[ Quote ]
| What I believe is troubling the relationship between AT&T and Apple is the
| upcoming auction for 700-MHz wireless spectrum and AT&T's discovery that --
| as I have predicted for weeks -- Apple will be joining Google in bidding.
| AT&T thought its five-year "exclusive" iPhone agreement with Apple would have
| precluded such a bid, but that just shows how poorly Randall Stephenson
| understood Steve Jobs. Steve always hurts his friends to see how much they
| really love him, so AT&T probably should have expected this kind of corporate
| body blow. * * *
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...29_003521.html

Hey, AT&T, What's the Value of a Closed Network Again?

,----[ Quote ]
| Closed networks, its proponents maintain, offer a trade-off. Individuals or
| outside developers can't make any changes or improvements to it. But since
| the network and its applications are controlled at a single source,
| individuals are supposed to get an easier experience in which they don't have
| to think about the network, just what they're doing on it. Trust the network. * *
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20...t_whats_t.html

How AT&T chewed up, and spat out Net Neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.com/2007/01/1...acre_wins_big/