Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly .. - Linux ; "An antitrust lawsuit filed against Apple on Dec. 31 charges the company with maintaining an illegal monopoly on the digital music market" http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205207895 Jobs should just give up, resign and hand over Apple to bill, after all he is the ...

  1. Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    "An antitrust lawsuit filed against Apple on Dec. 31 charges the
    company with maintaining an illegal monopoly on the digital music
    market"

    Jobs should just give up, resign and hand over Apple to bill, after
    all he is the worlds most innovative innovator. Apple stole the design
    for the iPod from the Zune, didn't they. At least future records will
    say so ..

  2. Re: Doug Mentohl - Too retarded to read english

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > "An antitrust lawsuit filed against Apple on Dec. 31 charges the
    > company with maintaining an illegal monopoly on the digital music
    > market"
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205207895
    >
    > Jobs should just give up, resign and hand over Apple to bill, after
    > all he is the worlds most innovative innovator. Apple stole the design
    > for the iPod from the Zune, didn't they. At least future records will
    > say so ..

    -- "Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly .."

    Gee. I don't see anything anywhere that claims it is Microsoft accusing or
    suing Apple for anything. The plantiff in this case is Somers and has
    absolutely no connection to Microsoft.

    Poor stupid Doug... everywhere he looks he sees the Microsoft boogey-man.
    Even when there is none.

  3. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    >"An antitrust lawsuit filed against Apple on Dec. 31 charges the
    >company with maintaining an illegal monopoly on the digital music
    >market"
    >
    >http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205207895

    "The complaint takes issue with Apple's refusal to support the Windows
    Media Audio format."

    Hypocrisy, thy name is Micro$oft.

    >Jobs should just give up, resign and hand over Apple to bill, after
    >all he is the worlds most innovative innovator. Apple stole the design
    >for the iPod from the Zune, didn't they. At least future records will
    >say so ..

    And the iPhone copies the... what's it's name again? 8)

  4. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    * Doug Mentohl fired off this tart reply:

    > "An antitrust lawsuit filed against Apple on Dec. 31 charges the
    > company with maintaining an illegal monopoly on the digital music
    > market"
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205207895
    >
    > Jobs should just give up, resign and hand over Apple to bill, after
    > all he is the worlds most innovative innovator. Apple stole the design
    > for the iPod from the Zune, didn't they. At least future records will
    > say so ..

    Here's Microsoft's real beef:

    The complaint takes issue with Apple's refusal to support the Windows
    Media Audio format.

    . . .

    Apple, for its part, might reasonably claim it doesn't want to
    license WMA from Microsoft, a cost the complaint speculates is
    unlikely to exceed $800,000, or 3 cents per iPod sold in 2005.

    "We need to get paid!" -- Steve Ballmer

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  5. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    > Jobs should just give up, resign and hand over Apple to bill, after
    > all he is the worlds most innovative innovator. Apple stole the design
    > for the iPod from the Zune, didn't they. At least future records will
    > say so ..

    Right now Apple is a bigger threat to Microsoft than Linux, and the
    Microsoft Propaganda Ministry is working overtime to sow doubts about
    Apple. They're not neglecting Linux, of course, and if you look, you
    can see the same methods in both cases. You can just see the talking
    points (Powerpoint bullets, no doubt) that came out of meetings at
    Redmond. I see it now---Erik and Flatfish are at the table...no,
    that's not right, it's Erik's trainer, or maybe the trainer of Erik's
    trainer, the one that handles amicus, too...and Flatfish is so
    unpleasant that even Redmondites find it distasteful to be around
    him. But back to the bullets...

    You know what they are by the way they appear simultaneously in a wide
    variety of forums, bloggers, astroturfing comments to web sites,
    "analysts" like Enderle, newspaper articles, press remarks by
    Microsoft agents, etc etc. A common one in the last several months is
    "Apple (or Google) is just as bad a monopoly as Microsoft, worse
    actually". This has the same arrogant hypocrisy as flatfish when he
    taunts HPT for nymshifting or claims that Roy is being paid.

  6. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >
    >>"An antitrust lawsuit filed against Apple on Dec. 31 charges the
    >>company with maintaining an illegal monopoly on the digital music
    >>market"
    >>
    >>http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205207895

    > "The complaint takes issue with Apple's refusal to support the Windows
    > Media Audio format."
    >
    > Hypocrisy, thy name is Micro$oft.

    Too retarded to read, they name is chrisv. (Hint for you moron... Microsoft
    has zero to do with this lawsuit.)

    >>Jobs should just give up, resign and hand over Apple to bill, after
    >>all he is the worlds most innovative innovator. Apple stole the design
    >>for the iPod from the Zune, didn't they. At least future records will
    >>say so ..

    > And the iPhone copies the... what's it's name again? 8)

    Duh... no wonder you're so stupid. Try reading what the article actually
    does say instead of what you think it might say.

  7. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:16:09 -0500, Abdul Catrell wrote:

    > Too retarded to read, they name is chrisv. (Hint for you moron...
    > Microsoft has zero to do with this lawsuit.)

    Ad Hominem attack. 0 Score

    *plonk*

  8. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    "alt" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:16:09 -0500, Abdul Catrell wrote:
    >

    >> Too retarded to read, they name is chrisv. (Hint for you moron...
    >> Microsoft has zero to do with this lawsuit.)

    > Ad Hominem attack. 0 Score

    So you're too stupid to know what an 'Ad Hominem attack' is. Not surprising.

    Hint for you retard. Correctly pointing out that the poster is too stupid to
    read is not an Ad Hominem attack.

  9. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    In article <6Wsfj.43946$_m.26889@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    Linonut wrote:

    > * Doug Mentohl fired off this tart reply:
    >
    > > "An antitrust lawsuit filed against Apple on Dec. 31 charges the
    > > company with maintaining an illegal monopoly on the digital music
    > > market"
    > >
    > > http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205207895
    > >
    > > Jobs should just give up, resign and hand over Apple to bill, after
    > > all he is the worlds most innovative innovator. Apple stole the design
    > > for the iPod from the Zune, didn't they. At least future records will
    > > say so ..

    > Here's Microsoft's real beef:
    >
    > The complaint takes issue with Apple's refusal to support the Windows
    > Media Audio format.

    Could someone tell me when Microsoft changed its name to "Stacie
    Somers". I seem to have missed it. :-)

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > In article <6Wsfj.43946$_m.26889@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> > http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205207895
    >> >

    >> Here's Microsoft's real beef:
    >>
    >> The complaint takes issue with Apple's refusal to support the Windows
    >> Media Audio format.

    > Could someone tell me when Microsoft changed its name to "Stacie
    > Somers". I seem to have missed it. :-)

    So did a lot of us. I find it interesting that a lawyer would do what
    she did, though. Either she's a bad lawyer or had some extra incentive
    to make the move. Why isn't she bitching about lack of support for FLAC
    and Ogg?

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  11. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    alt wrote:

    > stupid troll wrote:
    >>
    >> Too retarded to read, they name is chrisv. (Hint for you moron...
    >> Microsoft has zero to do with this lawsuit.)

    > Ad Hominem attack. 0 Score
    >
    > *plonk*

    0 total score is correct. The stupid troll scored +1 by pointing out
    that I wrongly attacked M$. However, the stupid troll scored -1 by
    incorrectly concluding that I'm "too retarded to read", instead of the
    far more obvious conclusion that I chose to read only the thread title
    and a portion of the referenced article.

    Still, a non-negative score is pretty good, for a stupid troll.

    Celebrate, troll! In between your regular routine of getting spanked and
    generally making a fool of yourself, you actually made a point against me!

  12. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > So did a lot of us. I find it interesting that a lawyer would do what
    > she did, though. Either she's a bad lawyer or had some extra incentive
    > to make the move. Why isn't she bitching about lack of support for FLAC
    > and Ogg?

    Well, Ogg is problematical to support, at least on iPods as of a couple
    years ago--not sure if the current ones could do better. The problem
    was it just needed too much CPU. The people who ported Linux to run on
    iPods got Ogg working, but last I checked (a couple years ago), could
    not get it past half speed playback.

    But the main thing would be that her allegation of monopolization is
    based on the barriers between playing songs purchased from non-iTunes
    music stores on iPods, because iPod does not support the major formats
    used at most other stores. There are no significant legal sales of
    music online in Ogg or FLAC format.

    Now that the last major label group has said they are going to allow
    DRM-free music sales online, though, I wonder if there is any possible
    point left to this suit?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  13. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    usually comes from bad judgement.

  14. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> So did a lot of us. I find it interesting that a lawyer would do what
    >> she did, though. Either she's a bad lawyer or had some extra incentive
    >> to make the move. Why isn't she bitching about lack of support for FLAC
    >> and Ogg?

    > Well, Ogg is problematical to support, at least on iPods as of a couple
    > years ago--not sure if the current ones could do better. The problem
    > was it just needed too much CPU. The people who ported Linux to run on
    > iPods got Ogg working, but last I checked (a couple years ago), could
    > not get it past half speed playback.

    I thought they got Ogg working using integers a long time ago.

    http://www.wired.com/software/coolap...007/05/playogg

    Playing Oggs on an iPod
    So what about the iPod? That's where things get tricky. You could
    wait for Apple to add native Ogg support to its player. Or you could
    wait for hell to freeze over.

    "Every iPod in the country could offer Ogg support tomorrow if Apple
    wanted it," says Montgomery. "However, Apple is a member of MPEG,
    which owns and licenses all the patents on the mainstream formats
    (MP3 and AAC) and by adopting Ogg, they'd be cutting into their own
    license-revenue stream."

    If you're willing to say goodbye to your iPod's soul, as you know it,
    you can add Ogg support yourself by installing Rockbox, an
    open-source firmware replacement. You'll get a whole new user
    interface that may prove jarring if you're an Apple devotee, but
    you'll also get support for Ogg, FLAC and SHN, among other formats.

    Keep in mind that you'll zap your iPod's warranty along with its
    standard-issue software. Rockbox does let you run your iPod in
    dual-boot mode, however. Rockbox works on any 4-G iPod or later
    (including iPod Nano), as well as iRiver and Archos players.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  15. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    Linonut writes:

    >> not get it past half speed playback.

    > I thought they got Ogg working using integers a long time ago.
    >

    > Keep in mind that you'll zap your iPod's warranty along with its
    > standard-issue software. Rockbox does let you run your iPod in
    > dual-boot mode, however. Rockbox works on any 4-G iPod or later
    > (including iPod Nano), as well as iRiver and Archos players.

    Only a COLA "advocate" would see the above as a reasonable "solution".

    Ridiculous.

  16. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >>> not get it past half speed playback.

    >> I thought they got Ogg working using integers a long time ago.
    >>

    >> Keep in mind that you'll zap your iPod's warranty along with its
    >> standard-issue software. Rockbox does let you run your iPod in
    >> dual-boot mode, however. Rockbox works on any 4-G iPod or later
    >> (including iPod Nano), as well as iRiver and Archos players.

    > Only a COLA "advocate" would see the above as a reasonable "solution".
    >
    > Ridiculous.

    Ridiculous? Right... only because you'll never get windows ce to run on
    it... that WOULD be ridiculous!

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  17. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:48:45 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >>> not get it past half speed playback.

    >> I thought they got Ogg working using integers a long time ago.
    >>

    >> Keep in mind that you'll zap your iPod's warranty along with its
    >> standard-issue software. Rockbox does let you run your iPod in
    >> dual-boot mode, however. Rockbox works on any 4-G iPod or later
    >> (including iPod Nano), as well as iRiver and Archos players.

    > Only a COLA "advocate" would see the above as a reasonable "solution".
    >
    > Ridiculous.

    Yes, you are.

    --
    Kier

  18. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot
    change, the courage to change the things I can, and the
    weaponry to make the difference stick!

  19. Re: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > I thought they got Ogg working using integers a long time ago.

    Could be. As I said, it was a couple years ago that I last checked.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread