Re: Patent Sellout (Novell) and Patent Megatroll (LANCOR) - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Patent Sellout (Novell) and Patent Megatroll (LANCOR) - Linux ; * Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply: >> - Windows as primary O/S > > Yes. Clearly Microsoft is very threatened by VMWare Player, and even > offering free copies of Virtual PC wasn't enough to stop the spread ...

  1. Re: Patent Sellout (Novell) and Patent Megatroll (LANCOR)

    * Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply:

    >> - Windows as primary O/S

    > Yes. Clearly Microsoft is very threatened by VMWare Player, and even
    > offering free copies of Virtual PC wasn't enough to stop the spread of
    > VMWare Player. To make matters worse, VMWare Converter has made it
    > trivially easy to create a VMWare player file-set for your existing
    > Windows system, install Linux, and then use VMWare player to put
    > Windows on one of your many Virtual Desktops.

    Cool. Didn't know about Converter. I guess Microsoft is afraid to
    scream bloody murder about it (the tactic that backfired with Linux
    ).

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  2. Re: Patent Sellout (Novell) and Patent Megatroll (LANCOR)

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> - Windows as primary O/S

    >> Yes. Clearly Microsoft is very threatened by VMWare Player, and even
    >> offering free copies of Virtual PC wasn't enough to stop the spread of
    >> VMWare Player. To make matters worse, VMWare Converter has made it
    >> trivially easy to create a VMWare player file-set for your existing
    >> Windows system, install Linux, and then use VMWare player to put
    >> Windows on one of your many Virtual Desktops.

    > Cool. Didn't know about Converter. I guess Microsoft is afraid to
    > scream bloody murder about it (the tactic that backfired with Linux
    > ).

    Yes, I could see that happening. I didn't know about Converter
    until you mentioned it here, and I'm even a happy VMWare customer.
    If MS starts complaining too loudly about Converter, they might
    only inform more people that it exists.

    I could have used Converter a few years ago when I converted
    my last Windows2000 box into a VMWare image, the manual way.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

+ Reply to Thread