Ransomware Trojan locks up infected PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| A new strain of "Ransomware" that attempts to coerce victims into paying $35
| to unlock their Windows PC, is doing the rounds.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...omware_trojan/

Linux security: 2007 in review

,----[ Quote ]
| The "storm bot"
| Whilst not directly impacting Linux users, the "storm bot" and its
| sophisticated attack vectors, management infrastructure and somewhat
| polymorphic nature point to a disturbing new trend in bots and malware. It
| reminds those of us in the Linux community who have not been adversely
| affected by virus attack that threats are constantly evolving.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...288007,00.html

Quote for the day:

"The threat to cancel Mac Office 97 is certainly the strongest bargaining point
we have, as doing so will do a great deal of harm to Apple immediately. I also
believe that Apple is taking this threat pretty seriously."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --Ben Waldman, Microsoft manager

Related:

Hacking extortionist resurfaces

,----[ Quote ]
| GpCode, a Trojan horse which last made a run at users last summer, has popped
| up again, said Aleks Gostev, senior virus analyst with Moscow-based Kaspersky
| Lab, in a posting to the research center's blog. *
`----

In zombies we trust

,----[ Quote ]
| A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
| style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
| were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
| months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
| months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
| 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
| counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised. * * *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661

Over 50% of corporate desktops infected with malware: IronPort

,----[ Quote ]
| The report also reveals that more than 50% of corporate desktops
| worldwide are infected with some type of spyware with the rate of
| infection as high as 70% in the United States. Trojans or malicious
| system monitors represented over 7% of the infections. Rootkits and
| trick loaders, which reinstall spyware and other obfuscation techniques,
| make remediation very difficult thus prevention is the key to stopping
| these threats.
`----

http://www.crn-india.com/breakingnew...ies/66870.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/