[News] [Rival] Apple Sued for Using DRM as Vendor Lock-in Tool - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Apple Sued for Using DRM as Vendor Lock-in Tool - Linux ; Antitrust Lawsuit Charges Apple With Monopolizing Online Music ,----[ Quote ] | 'Apple, however, deliberately designed the iPod's software so that it would | only play a single protected digital format, Apple's FairPlay-modified AAC | format,' the complaint states. `---- ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Apple Sued for Using DRM as Vendor Lock-in Tool

    Antitrust Lawsuit Charges Apple With Monopolizing Online Music

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 'Apple, however, deliberately designed the iPod's software so that it would
    | only play a single protected digital format, Apple's FairPlay-modified AAC
    | format,' the complaint states.
    `----

    http://informationweek.com/news/show...leID=205207895

    Related:

    Apple DRM illegal in Norway: Ombudsman

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apple's digital rights management lock on its iPod device and iTunes
    | software is illegal, the Consumer Ombudsman in Norway has ruled. The
    | blow follows the news that Germany and France are joining Norway's
    | action against Apple.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...gal_in_norway/

    Apple faces suit over iPod-iTunes link

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As if its options woes weren't trouble enough, Apple Computer Inc.
    | said Friday it is facing several federal lawsuits, including one
    | alleging the company created an illegal monopoly by tying iTunes
    | music and video sales to its market-leading iPod portable players.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061230/...apple_lawsuits

    Old:

    iTunes sales 'collapsing'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The leading DRM digital download service, Apple's iTunes, has
    | experienced a collapse in sales revenues this year according to
    | analyst company Forrester Research.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12...oads_flatline/

    Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
    | Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
    | career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
    | Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
    | secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

    Sony 'deceived' on music

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony has been convicted of misleading the French public and told
    | to pay damages to a consumer watchdog for selling downloadable
    | songs that only run on its own music players.
    |
    | France's Union Federale des Consommateurs (UFC) took Sony's
    | French and British subsidiaries to court in February 2005 over
    | the music download site Sony Connect. The lawsuit also targets
    | Apple, maker of the popular iPod, whose case is expected to
    | reach the courts later this year.
    `----

    http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html
    http://tinyurl.com/y7hk7w

    Who's Killing MP3 and ITunes?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1. The labels don't have a choice
    | 2. Apple might be forced into interoperability
    | 3. Thomson has endorsed selling watermarked MP3
    | 4. Amazon is rumored to start selling MP3s by April
    | 5. Sony: "DRMs are going to become less important"
    | 6. People love AllofMP3.com
    | 7. MP3 has future options
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,...ory_page_next1

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Sued for Using DRM as Vendor Lock-in Tool

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:50:39 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Antitrust Lawsuit Charges Apple With Monopolizing Online Music

    (snip)

    First, there are plenty of alternative music/multimedia players. I uste
    my Palm TX to play multimedia, including music I bought from through
    iTunes.

    There are plenty of places to buy music online.

    Jobs has stated if the labels will stop insisting on DRM,Apple will stop
    using DRM.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Sued for Using DRM as Vendor Lock-in Tool

    ____/ Rick on Friday 04 January 2008 13:04 : \____

    > On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:50:39 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Antitrust Lawsuit Charges Apple With Monopolizing Online Music
    >>

    > (snip)
    >
    > First, there are plenty of alternative music/multimedia players. I uste
    > my Palm TX to play multimedia, including music I bought from through
    > iTunes.
    >
    > There are plenty of places to buy music online.
    >
    > Jobs has stated if the labels will stop insisting on DRM,Apple will stop
    > using DRM.

    Yes, that was appreciated by the Defective by Design campaign, but some say
    that he only made such a statement for PR purposes. Apple and Microsoft
    benefits from that DRM-imposed lock-in. Open platforms lose the most, the
    customer loses a lot (of music/films), and there's no fair competition
    anymore.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Charity: compensating for a broken system rather than actually fixing it

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Sued for Using DRM as Vendor Lock-in Tool

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:54:09 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Rick on Friday 04 January 2008 13:04 : \____
    >
    >> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:50:39 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Antitrust Lawsuit Charges Apple With Monopolizing Online Music
    >>>

    >> (snip)
    >>
    >> First, there are plenty of alternative music/multimedia players. I uste
    >> my Palm TX to play multimedia, including music I bought from through
    >> iTunes.
    >>
    >> There are plenty of places to buy music online.
    >>
    >> Jobs has stated if the labels will stop insisting on DRM,Apple will
    >> stop using DRM.

    > Yes, that was appreciated by the Defective by Design campaign, but some
    > say that he only made such a statement for PR purposes.

    .... except for EMIs non-DRMed music available from Apple.

    > Apple and
    > Microsoft benefits from that DRM-imposed lock-in. Open platforms lose
    > the most, the customer loses a lot (of music/films), and there's no fair
    > competition anymore.

    Why is there no fair competition? There are tons of audio players, and
    all the statistics I've read says most of the music comes from ripped
    CDs. There are all kinds of music download sites, AND iTunes runs on
    Windows. BTW, I do play music I bought (licensed?) through Apple on my
    Palm TX. Yes, I had to burn and rip, but I have it.

    I can download music from WalMart, but supposedly can't play it on my
    iPod. What is fair about that? WalMart's big. Let's jump on them.

    Now, do I think Apple (Jobs) is stupid for not putting out a Linux
    version of iTunes? Yes, I do.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Sued for Using DRM as Vendor Lock-in Tool

    In article <5926183.BzovLbeB0f@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Antitrust Lawsuit Charges Apple With Monopolizing Online Music
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | 'Apple, however, deliberately designed the iPod's software so that it would
    > | only play a single protected digital format, Apple's FairPlay-modified AAC
    > | format,' the complaint states.
    > `----
    >
    > http://informationweek.com/news/show...leID=205207895

    Note *how* they are alleged to have done this: by not including enough
    DRM. The complaint is specifically that by *NOT* including Microsoft's
    DRM, they are monopolizing.

    BTW, interesting stats cited in the complaint. Apple has:

    90% of hard-drive based music player market,
    70% of Flash-based music player market.

    Take a look at the number of songs sold on the iTunes store, and divide
    by the number of iPods sold, and you'll find that most iPods have very
    little iTunes store music on them. Most people mostly fill their iPods
    with ripped music or with DRM-free downloads from the net.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread