[News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot - Linux ; Barclays says no to Firefox ,----[ Quote ] | A READER ATTEMPTING to log into a Barclays web site here found himself with a | little bit of a problem. | | He’s running some operating system called Linux and ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    Barclays says no to Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A READER ATTEMPTING to log into a Barclays web site here found himself with a
    | little bit of a problem.
    |
    | He’s running some operating system called Linux and using Fireferret but gets
    | an annoying message from Barclays and Mind Leaders (motto: e-learning that
    | works) telling him to go away and use Internet Exploder.
    |
    | We tried it using Windows XP and Fireferret and got the same result too, as
    | you can see below.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rclays-firefox

    IE7 permits the system to be hijacked and it is also spyware by design
    (Microsoft informed of all Web pages that users visit). Nice, isn't it?

    Months ago:

    (from [H]omer Windows 2003 Server bank system pwned

    ..----[ Quote ]
    | Hackers infiltrated the systems of Commerce Bank and accessed the
    | records of 20 customers, the US regional bank said today.
    |
    | The attack by persons unknown was partially thwarted - but not
    | before a database of 3,000 records was hacked into and the data of
    | 20 exposed. Compromised data included personal information such as
    | names, addresses, Social Security numbers, phone numbers and, in a
    | few cases, Commerce Bank account numbers, the Columbia Business
    | Journal reports.
    |
    | Security staff shut down the attack and called in police to
    | investigate after uncovering the breach a week ago. The FBI is
    | investigating.
    |
    | The method used in the attack is unclear, and something the bank
    | will be keen that it stays unclear
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...rce_bank_hack/

    ######
    12.167.75.17 * Windows Server 2003 * Microsoft-IIS/6.0

    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...mmercebank.com
    ######

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Barclays says no to Firefox
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A READER ATTEMPTING to log into a Barclays web site here found himself with a
    >| little bit of a problem.
    >|
    >| He?s running some operating system called Linux and using Fireferret but gets
    >| an annoying message from Barclays and Mind Leaders (motto: e-learning that
    >| works) telling him to go away and use Internet Exploder.
    >|
    >| We tried it using Windows XP and Fireferret and got the same result too, as
    >| you can see below.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rclays-firefox
    >
    > IE7 permits the system to be hijacked and it is also spyware by design
    > (Microsoft informed of all Web pages that users visit). Nice, isn't it?

    You'd think that Banks, of all people, would steer clear of Windows and
    use something secure, like Linux.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Barclays says no to Firefox
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A READER ATTEMPTING to log into a Barclays web site here found himself
    > | with a little bit of a problem.
    > |
    > | He’s running some operating system called Linux and using Fireferret but
    > | gets an annoying message from Barclays and Mind Leaders (motto:
    > | e-learning that works) telling him to go away and use Internet Exploder.
    > |
    > | We tried it using Windows XP and Fireferret and got the same result too,
    > | as you can see below.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rclays-firefox
    >
    > IE7 permits the system to be hijacked and it is also spyware by design
    > (Microsoft informed of all Web pages that users visit). Nice, isn't it?

    How odd. One of my accounts is with Barclay's, & I have no trouble logging
    in with Firefox (or Epiphany for that matter).
    Nor have I got any kind of spoofing extension running in either browser.

    --
    : It takes time, this. One slight error in any of my thirteen billion
    calculations and we'll be blasted to smithereens.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 04 January 2008 09:23 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Barclays says no to Firefox
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| A READER ATTEMPTING to log into a Barclays web site here found himself with
    >>| a little bit of a problem.
    >>|
    >>| He?s running some operating system called Linux and using Fireferret but
    >>| gets an annoying message from Barclays and Mind Leaders (motto: e-learning
    >>| that works) telling him to go away and use Internet Exploder.
    >>|
    >>| We tried it using Windows XP and Fireferret and got the same result too, as
    >>| you can see below.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rclays-firefox
    >>
    >> IE7 permits the system to be hijacked and it is also spyware by design
    >> (Microsoft informed of all Web pages that users visit). Nice, isn't it?
    >>

    > You'd think that Banks, of all people, would steer clear of Windows and
    > use something secure, like Linux.

    ....Or at least be aware of the fact that more than one (broken) Web browser
    exists. Oh, actually there are many other browsers 'whose' success had nothing
    to do with disgraceful crime (/and/ conviction involving $billion in fines).

    I find it ironic that banks -- of all institutes that are out there -- liaise
    with the criminal (of all companies that are out there). Let's not get started
    with the BBC, the British Library and National Archives again...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
    Tasks: 137 total, 1 running, 136 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > You'd think that Banks, of all people, would steer clear of Windows and
    > use something secure, like Linux.

    Increasingly they do; I've done a bit of consulting work in the
    banking industry a few years ago and they were rolling out Java/Linux
    servers for middleware apps and edge of net servers. Still running
    most of the database back end stuff on big iron with DB2 and so on,
    even some legacy COBOL layered behind a SOA abstraction layer, but
    plenty of Linux running newer infrastructure. You won't find a
    whole lot of press releases about it though... banks tend to be
    rather quiet about the shape of their internal systems, for obvious
    reasons.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Friday 04 January 2008 14:16 : \____

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> You'd think that Banks, of all people, would steer clear of Windows and
    >> use something secure, like Linux.

    > Increasingly they do; I've done a bit of consulting work in the
    > banking industry a few years ago and they were rolling out Java/Linux
    > servers for middleware apps and edge of net servers. Still running
    > most of the database back end stuff on big iron with DB2 and so on,
    > even some legacy COBOL layered behind a SOA abstraction layer, but
    > plenty of Linux running newer infrastructure. You won't find a
    > whole lot of press releases about it though... banks tend to be
    > rather quiet about the shape of their internal systems, for obvious
    > reasons.

    This turns out to be a Barclays Web site, but not the online banking one.
    They really need to fix this fast because it's terrible PR for them. Lesson to
    be learned here: if you hire Windows-centric web developers, you lose heaps of
    very angry customers and receive bad press (loss or prospective customers). I
    was with Barclays for about 3 months back in 2000. I had to dump them for
    NatWest because they made a mistake, after mistake, after mistake, after
    mistake and it was the last straw after just a few months... it was
    embarrassing for them and the HSBC guy actually told me (secretly) that
    NatWest had the better offer/service.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
    run-level 2 2007-12-10 11:12 last=

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Mark Kent Licks the Schestowitz Ass

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Barclays says no to Firefox
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| A READER ATTEMPTING to log into a Barclays web site here found himself
    >>with a
    >>| little bit of a problem.
    >>|
    >>| He?s running some operating system called Linux and using Fireferret but
    >>gets
    >>| an annoying message from Barclays and Mind Leaders (motto: e-learning
    >>that
    >>| works) telling him to go away and use Internet Exploder.
    >>|
    >>| We tried it using Windows XP and Fireferret and got the same result too,
    >>as
    >>| you can see below.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rclays-firefox
    >>
    >> IE7 permits the system to be hijacked and it is also spyware by design
    >> (Microsoft informed of all Web pages that users visit). Nice, isn't it?
    >>

    > You'd think that Banks, of all people, would steer clear of Windows and
    > use something secure, like Linux.

    I see that you still lick the Schestowitz butt. If you really are a grown
    man as you claim then why do you feel the need to shill every post this
    unemployed college student makes?

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Friday 04 January 2008 14:16 :
    > \____
    >
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You'd think that Banks, of all people, would steer clear of Windows and
    >>> use something secure, like Linux.

    >> Increasingly they do; I've done a bit of consulting work in the
    >> banking industry a few years ago and they were rolling out Java/Linux
    >> servers for middleware apps and edge of net servers. Still running
    >> most of the database back end stuff on big iron with DB2 and so on,
    >> even some legacy COBOL layered behind a SOA abstraction layer, but
    >> plenty of Linux running newer infrastructure. You won't find a
    >> whole lot of press releases about it though... banks tend to be
    >> rather quiet about the shape of their internal systems, for obvious
    >> reasons.

    > This turns out to be a Barclays Web site, but not the online banking one.
    > They really need to fix this fast because it's terrible PR for them.
    > Lesson to be learned here: if you hire Windows-centric web developers, you
    > lose heaps of very angry customers and receive bad press (loss or
    > prospective customers). I was with Barclays for about 3 months back in
    > 2000. I had to dump them for NatWest because they made a mistake, after
    > mistake, after mistake, after mistake and it was the last straw after just
    > a few months... it was embarrassing for them and the HSBC guy actually
    > told me (secretly) that NatWest had the better offer/service.

    As I've said, I have no trouble logging in to my Barclay's account with
    Firefox or Epiphany. And I do not have any kind of spoofing extension
    running in either browser.

    --
    : It takes time, this. One slight error in any of my thirteen billion
    calculations and we'll be blasted to smithereens. Here we go, then: 10, 9,
    8, 6, 5--
    Holly, *where's* 7?
    --Red Dwarf--

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    William Poaster wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> This turns out to be a Barclays Web site, but not the online banking one.
    >> They really need to fix this fast because it's terrible PR for them.
    >> Lesson to be learned here: if you hire Windows-centric web developers,
    >> you lose heaps of very angry customers and receive bad press (loss or
    >> prospective customers). I was with Barclays for about 3 months back in
    >> 2000. I had to dump them for NatWest because they made a mistake, after
    >> mistake, after mistake, after mistake and it was the last straw after
    >> just a few months... it was embarrassing for them and the HSBC guy
    >> actually told me (secretly) that NatWest had the better offer/service.
    >>

    > As I've said, I have no trouble logging in to my Barclay's account with
    > Firefox or Epiphany. And I do not have any kind of spoofing extension
    > running in either browser.

    It's not the main barclays site that's the problem - it's their small
    business skil training site at http://www.barclays-skills.com/ that only
    works with IE.

    A quick test with Konqueror's browser ID spoofing reveals that it seems it
    will display the login page with any version of IE, even version 4.0
    running on win95 (It even appears to display when set to IE3.0 on Win3.11
    but I'm not sure I have the exact string correct for this version). Also
    seems happy with ID string for Mac versions of IE.

    Shows whoever runs this area of barclays site has no clue about
    compatibility or security - what kind of site is so poorly coded that it's
    designed to break with firefox/mozilla/opera/konqueror but lets something
    as old and insecure as win3.11 use it.

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    Nigel Feltham wrote:

    > It's not the main barclays site that's the problem - it's their small
    > business skil training site at http://www.barclays-skills.com/ that only
    > works with IE.
    >
    > A quick test with Konqueror's browser ID spoofing reveals that it seems it
    > will display the login page with any version of IE, even version 4.0
    > running on win95 (It even appears to display when set to IE3.0 on Win3.11
    > but I'm not sure I have the exact string correct for this version). Also
    > seems happy with ID string for Mac versions of IE.
    >
    > Shows whoever runs this area of barclays site has no clue about
    > compatibility or security - what kind of site is so poorly coded that it's
    > designed to break with firefox/mozilla/opera/konqueror but lets something
    > as old and insecure as win3.11 use it.

    And even more ironically the source for both IE and non-IE lockout pages has
    the following comment near the top :-

    They claim to support webstandards but lockout any browsers that actually
    follow the standards - somebody please beat them to death with a clue
    stick.

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    ____/ William Poaster on Friday 04 January 2008 18:56 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Friday 04 January 2008 14:16 :
    >> \____

    >>> Increasingly they do; I've done a bit of consulting work in the
    >>> banking industry a few years ago and they were rolling out Java/Linux
    >>> servers for middleware apps and edge of net servers. Still running
    >>> most of the database back end stuff on big iron with DB2 and so on,
    >>> even some legacy COBOL layered behind a SOA abstraction layer, but
    >>> plenty of Linux running newer infrastructure. You won't find a
    >>> whole lot of press releases about it though... banks tend to be
    >>> rather quiet about the shape of their internal systems, for obvious
    >>> reasons.

    >> This turns out to be a Barclays Web site, but not the online banking one.
    >> They really need to fix this fast because it's terrible PR for them.
    >> Lesson to be learned here: if you hire Windows-centric web developers, you
    >> lose heaps of very angry customers and receive bad press (loss or
    >> prospective customers). I was with Barclays for about 3 months back in
    >> 2000. I had to dump them for NatWest because they made a mistake, after
    >> mistake, after mistake, after mistake and it was the last straw after just
    >> a few months... it was embarrassing for them and the HSBC guy actually
    >> told me (secretly) that NatWest had the better offer/service.
    >>

    > As I've said, I have no trouble logging in to my Barclay's account with
    > Firefox or Epiphany. And I do not have any kind of spoofing extension
    > running in either browser.

    Well, either way it's at the front page of Digg.com now. Barclays will probably
    hate me for this, but let's call it even.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    In an Open world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates? -- ??
    Tasks: 127 total, 1 running, 126 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ William Poaster on Friday 04 January 2008 18:56 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Friday 04 January 2008 14:16 :
    >>> \____

    >>> This turns out to be a Barclays Web site, but not the online banking one.
    >>> They really need to fix this fast because it's terrible PR for them.
    >>> Lesson to be learned here: if you hire Windows-centric web developers, you
    >>> lose heaps of very angry customers and receive bad press (loss or
    >>> prospective customers). I was with Barclays for about 3 months back in
    >>> 2000. I had to dump them for NatWest because they made a mistake, after
    >>> mistake, after mistake, after mistake and it was the last straw after just
    >>> a few months... it was embarrassing for them and the HSBC guy actually
    >>> told me (secretly) that NatWest had the better offer/service.
    >>>

    >> As I've said, I have no trouble logging in to my Barclay's account with
    >> Firefox or Epiphany. And I do not have any kind of spoofing extension
    >> running in either browser.

    > Well, either way it's at the front page of Digg.com now. Barclays will probably
    > hate me for this, but let's call it even.

    It's essential that we let the banks know that putting Windows
    internet-facing is *not* safe, and that they should be encouraging
    customers to use secure systems for internet banking. Linux and Firefox
    are both superior choices here.