Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista - Linux ; "De Sanno [of Veteran's Affairs] said Vista's security features are significant enough to call for an immediate agencywide upgrade." "...several agencies plan to move more quickly to deploy Vista than they did with previous operating system releases." "The Defense Department ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    "De Sanno [of Veteran's Affairs] said Vista's security features are
    significant enough to call for an immediate agencywide upgrade."

    "...several agencies plan to move more quickly to deploy Vista than they did
    with previous operating system releases."

    "The Defense Department and intelligence agencies have been particularly
    interested in Vista."

    http://www.washingtontechnology.com/...4/30261-1.html

  2. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:r48fj.23184$L27.1340@bignews9.bellsouth.net.. .
    > "De Sanno [of Veteran's Affairs] said Vista's security features are
    > significant enough to call for an immediate agencywide upgrade."
    >
    > "...several agencies plan to move more quickly to deploy Vista than they
    > did
    > with previous operating system releases."
    >
    > "The Defense Department and intelligence agencies have been particularly
    > interested in Vista."
    >
    > http://www.washingtontechnology.com/...4/30261-1.html

    Vista will be just like WinXP. At first all of the pundits and doubters were
    laughing about the "Fischer Price UI" and how XP is going to fail and how
    this was the big moment for Linux. Years later, everyone be using XP just
    like they used Win2k and Win98 before that.

    Seems that the morons^h^h^h "advocates" didn't learn their lesson because
    history is once again repeating itself. In a few years Vista will be as
    ubiquitous as Windows XP is today. And the "advocates" will still be waiting
    for linux to appear on more than 0.6% of the desktops.

  3. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Dusty Hendrix

    wrote
    on Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:59:27 -0500
    <477d16c9$1$26033$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    > news:r48fj.23184$L27.1340@bignews9.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> "De Sanno [of Veteran's Affairs] said Vista's security features are
    >> significant enough to call for an immediate agencywide upgrade."
    >>
    >> "...several agencies plan to move more quickly to deploy Vista than they
    >> did
    >> with previous operating system releases."
    >>
    >> "The Defense Department and intelligence agencies have been particularly
    >> interested in Vista."
    >>
    >> http://www.washingtontechnology.com/...4/30261-1.html
    >>

    > Vista will be just like WinXP. At first all of the pundits and doubters were
    > laughing about the "Fischer Price UI" and how XP is going to fail and how
    > this was the big moment for Linux. Years later, everyone be using XP just
    > like they used Win2k and Win98 before that.
    >
    > Seems that the morons^h^h^h "advocates" didn't learn their lesson because
    > history is once again repeating itself. In a few years Vista will be as
    > ubiquitous as Windows XP is today. And the "advocates" will still be waiting
    > for linux to appear on more than 0.6% of the desktops.

    That is, of course, the beauty of Microsoft Marketing(tm).
    Vista, after all, is state of the art...and a sad state
    it is, too, compared to a lot of the Linux GLX stuff
    floating around.

    But never mind that; where did you want to be led today?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
    (1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".

  4. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    * Dusty Hendrix fired off this tart reply:

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    > news:r48fj.23184$L27.1340@bignews9.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> "De Sanno [of Veteran's Affairs] said Vista's security features are
    >> significant enough to call for an immediate agencywide upgrade."
    >>
    >> "...several agencies plan to move more quickly to deploy Vista than they
    >> did
    >> with previous operating system releases."
    >>
    >> "The Defense Department and intelligence agencies have been particularly
    >> interested in Vista."
    >>
    >> http://www.washingtontechnology.com/...4/30261-1.html

    > Vista will be just like WinXP. At first all of the pundits and doubters were
    > laughing about the "Fischer Price UI" and how XP is going to fail and how
    > this was the big moment for Linux. Years later, everyone be using XP just
    > like they used Win2k and Win98 before that.

    I think that a DFS and a Dusty Hendrix combine to make up a Hadron.

    > Seems that the morons^h^h^h "advocates" didn't learn their lesson because
    > history is once again repeating itself. In a few years Vista will be as
    > ubiquitous as Windows XP is today. And the "advocates" will still be waiting
    > for linux to appear on more than 0.6% of the desktops.

    Or Vista may be the ME edition, and it will take Windows 7 to get it
    right.

    In the meantime, businesses that value stability in operation and
    stability in interfaces will continue to move slowly.

    Also, I suspect the numbers for Linux are not only higher than your
    figure, but they will be fifteen times higher in a couple-a-three years.

    By the way, this quote from the article smalls like bull****:

    Most agencies already own Vista, so the biggest cost is the business
    costs, he said.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  5. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    DFS wrote:

    > "De Sanno [of Veteran's Affairs] said Vista's security features are
    > significant enough to call for an immediate agencywide upgrade."
    >
    > "...several agencies plan to move more quickly to deploy Vista than they
    > did with previous operating system releases."
    >
    > "The Defense Department and intelligence agencies have been particularly
    > interested in Vista."
    >
    > http://www.washingtontechnology.com/...4/30261-1.html

    Wait till they have to defend and fix it... Hahahha

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  6. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Dusty Hendrix fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> "DFS" wrote in message
    >> news:r48fj.23184$L27.1340@bignews9.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>> "De Sanno [of Veteran's Affairs] said Vista's security features are
    >>> significant enough to call for an immediate agencywide upgrade."
    >>>
    >>> "...several agencies plan to move more quickly to deploy Vista than they
    >>> did
    >>> with previous operating system releases."
    >>>
    >>> "The Defense Department and intelligence agencies have been particularly
    >>> interested in Vista."
    >>>
    >>> http://www.washingtontechnology.com/...4/30261-1.html

    >> Vista will be just like WinXP. At first all of the pundits and doubters
    >> were laughing about the "Fischer Price UI" and how XP is going to fail
    >> and how this was the big moment for Linux. Years later, everyone be using
    >> XP just like they used Win2k and Win98 before that.

    > I think that a DFS and a Dusty Hendrix combine to make up a Hadron.

    Nope. They can at best achieve a Quark that way

    >> Seems that the morons^h^h^h "advocates" didn't learn their lesson because
    >> history is once again repeating itself. In a few years Vista will be as
    >> ubiquitous as Windows XP is today. And the "advocates" will still be
    >> waiting for linux to appear on more than 0.6% of the desktops.

    > Or Vista may be the ME edition, and it will take Windows 7 to get it
    > right.

    Given that most businesses are Vista-shy (for good reasons) I would think
    that adoption will be much slower than for XP

    > In the meantime, businesses that value stability in operation and
    > stability in interfaces will continue to move slowly.

    I know sweveral where the policy is to completely forbid any Vista machine.
    They have test installs, and they know why they don't want that garbage

    > Also, I suspect the numbers for Linux are not only higher than your
    > figure,

    Lets make that 5 times his value worldwide at least
    In several countries much higher than that

    > but they will be fifteen times higher in a couple-a-three years.
    >
    > By the way, this quote from the article smalls like bull****:
    >
    > Most agencies already own Vista, so the biggest cost is the business
    > costs, he said.

    Right. Bull****. Given that so much software does not run or not run
    correctly, the cost of the OS, as high as it is, is trivial compared to the
    costs of getting new software (if possible at all) and updating the
    hardware
    --
    Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice which can be equally well
    explained by stupidity

  7. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    Linonut wrote:

    > I think that a DFS and a Dusty Hendrix combine to make up a Hadron.

    Dude, I almost shot coffee onto my monitor reading that. I suggest
    a new Internet Acronym in your honor:

    SHCOON = Shooting Hot Coffee Out Of Nose

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  8. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    Linonut wrote:

    > I think that a DFS and a Dusty Hendrix combine to make up a Hadron.

    OK, in an earlier post I suggested the Internet Acronym SHCOON in
    honor of the above statement... I just did a google search and it
    already exists. I remember making the same suggestion in Usenet
    back in the early 90's, so I lay claim to inventing it. Yeah,
    impossible to prove, but it tickles me to no end to believe it.

    Thad (whos ego is racing ever more out of control)
    all the ingredients on the label.

  9. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    Dusty Hendrix wrote:

    >Vista will

    *plonk*

  10. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:57:51 -0600
    <61cqn39tjfddmc2bom8dlr8n1c2ordvpm3@4ax.com>:
    > Dusty Hendrix wrote:
    >
    >>Vista will

    > *plonk*

    One can certainly hope that Vista will vanish, along
    with solutions such as GEM (which Microsoft trod upon),
    AmigaOS (which basically just couldn't keep up but didn't
    deserve to die; it's now lying in state somewhere but is
    technically alive), and VMS (which is an interesting OS
    but most people nowadays probably haven't heard about it).

    Of these, Vista is the one most deserving to disappear... :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
    elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

  11. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com

    wrote
    on Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:47:30 -0600
    <27nv45-gmi.ln1@tux.glaci.com>:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> I think that a DFS and a Dusty Hendrix combine to make up a Hadron.

    > Dude, I almost shot coffee onto my monitor reading that. I suggest
    > a new Internet Acronym in your honor:
    >
    > SHCOON = Shooting Hot Coffee Out Of Nose

    Ow...though that might be covered by C|N>K or C|N>M . ;-)

    I'll grant SHCOON is more pronounceable though, and even
    might be slightly onomatopoeiatic.

    > Thad
    > --
    > Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    > all the ingredients on the label.

    *burp*

    See also http://www.freebeer.org/ ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
    try our new color changing variant?

  12. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    wrote in message
    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> I think that a DFS and a Dusty Hendrix combine to make up a Hadron.

    > OK, in an earlier post I suggested the Internet Acronym SHCOON in
    > honor of the above statement... I just did a google search and it
    > already exists. I remember making the same suggestion in Usenet
    > back in the early 90's, so I lay claim to inventing it. Yeah,
    > impossible to prove, but it tickles me to no end to believe it.

    Congratulations... like linux you're only 10 years behind the times.

    > Thad (whos ego is racing ever more out of control)

    Better late than never, eh?

    > --
    > Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    > all the ingredients on the label.

  13. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    Dusty Hendrix wrote:

    > Congratulations... like linux you're only 10 years behind the times.

    Nah, based on the grey in my beard I'm probably more like 20 years
    behind the times. You kids still using keyboards, or have you
    perfected direct neural interface yet? Nurse! I said LIME jello!

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  14. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    On Jan 3, 3:01 pm, tha...@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > Dusty Hendrix wrote:
    >
    > > Congratulations... like linux you're only 10 years behind the times.

    > Nah, based on the grey in my beard I'm probably more like 20 years
    > behind the times. You kids still using keyboards, or have you
    > perfected direct neural interface yet? Nurse! I said LIME jello!

    "direct neural interface" - man you are old. Loosely coupled neural
    interfaces have been all the rage for weeks.

    > Thad
    > --
    > Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    > all the ingredients on the label.

  15. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    Dusty Hendrix wrote:

    > Vista will be just like WinXP. At first all of the pundits and
    > doubters were laughing about the "Fischer Price UI" and how XP is
    > going to fail and how this was the big moment for Linux. Years later,
    > everyone be using XP just like they used Win2k and Win98 before that.
    >
    > Seems that the morons^h^h^h "advocates" didn't learn their lesson
    > because history is once again repeating itself. In a few years Vista
    > will be as ubiquitous as Windows XP is today. And the "advocates"
    > will still be waiting for linux to appear on more than 0.6% of the
    > desktops.

    This is EXACTLY what will happen. And every Linux monkey yanking their
    stick and flinging their feces on cola knows it.

  16. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 22:48:40 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Dusty Hendrix wrote:
    >

    >> Vista will be just like WinXP. At first all of the pundits and doubters
    >> were laughing about the "Fischer Price UI" and how XP is going to fail
    >> and how this was the big moment for Linux. Years later, everyone be
    >> using XP just like they used Win2k and Win98 before that.
    >>
    >> Seems that the morons^h^h^h "advocates" didn't learn their lesson
    >> because history is once again repeating itself. In a few years Vista
    >> will be as ubiquitous as Windows XP is today. And the "advocates" will
    >> still be waiting for linux to appear on more than 0.6% of the desktops.

    > This is EXACTLY what will happen. And every Linux monkey yanking their
    > stick and flinging their feces on cola knows it.

    Nice statement, bigot.

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    DFS wrote:

    > "De Sanno [of Veteran's Affairs] said Vista's security features are
    > significant enough to call for an immediate agencywide upgrade."
    >
    > "...several agencies plan to move more quickly to deploy Vista than they did
    > with previous operating system releases."
    >
    > "The Defense Department and intelligence agencies have been particularly
    > interested in Vista."

    Ummmm... this is our government talking. Of COURSE they're stupid.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Cross the river THEN insult the alligators.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  18. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    Rick wrote:

    >> This is EXACTLY what will happen. And every Linux monkey yanking their
    >> stick and flinging their feces on cola knows it.

    > Nice statement, bigot.

    DFS is jest jellus because monkeys are smarter than he is.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Be true to your teeth and they won't be false to you.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  19. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >>> This is EXACTLY what will happen. And every Linux monkey yanking their
    >>> stick and flinging their feces on cola knows it.

    >> Nice statement, bigot.

    > DFS is jest jellus because monkeys are smarter than he is.

    No, he's jealous because we have more fun than him, yanking our sticks and
    hurling ****.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  20. Re: Federal agencies embrace Windows Vista

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 11:30:20 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > "De Sanno [of Veteran's Affairs] said Vista's security features are
    > significant enough to call for an immediate agencywide upgrade."
    >
    > "...several agencies plan to move more quickly to deploy Vista than they
    > did with previous operating system releases."
    >
    > "The Defense Department and intelligence agencies have been particularly
    > interested in Vista."
    >
    > http://www.washingtontechnology.com/...4/30261-1.html

    ROFLMAO!! In you r mind , this is an endorsement?!?!?! Have you been
    living in cave for the last 7 years?

    Are you a 28 percenter?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast