[News] Cleanup Work Towards KDE 4.0 Completition, Interview with a Lead Developer - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Cleanup Work Towards KDE 4.0 Completition, Interview with a Lead Developer - Linux ; KDE Commit Digest - Issue 91 - 30th December 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | Furious last-minute application of polish across the board in preparation for | the tagging of KDE 4.0 Final next week. Work towards threading GDB operations | ...

  1. [News] Cleanup Work Towards KDE 4.0 Completition, Interview with a Lead Developer

    KDE Commit Digest - Issue 91 - 30th December 2007

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Furious last-minute application of polish across the board in preparation for
    | the tagging of KDE 4.0 Final next week. Work towards threading GDB operations
    | support in KDevelop.
    `----

    http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/

    KDE 4.0 RC2 much better, but still not perfect

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | KDE 4.0 is getting better and I hope KDE team will release a stable product
    | on time. My best wishes to the KDE team.
    `----

    http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2008...l-not-perfect/

    Aaron Seigo talks about the imminent release of KDE 4.0

    http://www.tllts.org/audio/tllts_226-01-02-08.mp3

    Yesterday:

    10 Things I Love about KDE 4 RC2+

    ,----[ Summary of points ]
    | 10. Oxygen Icons
    |
    | 9. Look and Feel
    |
    | 8. Konqueror improvements
    |
    | 7. Koffice2 is amazing
    |
    | 6. Doing away with the desktop-is-file-manager idea
    |
    | 5. Kickoff
    |
    | 4. Composite effects
    |
    | 3. Gwenview
    |
    | 2. Consistency
    |
    | 1. Guts, courage and balls
    `----

    http://www.linuxtechdaily.com/2008/0...out-kde-4-rc2/

    Related:

    Kubuntu 8.04 Featuring KDE 4

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yes, you heard that right! Kubuntu 8.04, the Hardy Heron, will provide you
    | the option of using either KDE 3.5 or KDE 4. Jonathan Riddell just posted the
    | news in an email to the Kubuntu Developer‚Äôs mailing list... ¬*
    `----

    http://blog.nixternal.com/2007.12.20...aturing-kde-4/

    KDE 4 Preview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | KDE 4 looks very promising. It looks good, works good and I predict reception
    | will be good. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.masuran.org/2007/12/17/kde-4-preview/

    Introducing KDE 4

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As most of you already know, it's the new KDE 4 default file manager. The KDE
    | 3.x version introduce a new way for file management on KDE, You're probably
    | asking yourself: New? In which way? Let me answer that, it introduced for the
    | first time in KDE world a simple KDE file manager, easy to follow and use,
    | because I believe users will agree that Konqueror (and don't even make me
    | talk about Krusader) isn't the user friendliness application out there. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://introducingkde4.blogspot.com/...2/dolphin.html

  2. Re: Cleanup Work Towards KDE 4.0 Completition, Interview with a LeadDeveloper

    On Jan 3, 8:33 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > KDE Commit Digest - Issue 91 - 30th December 2007
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Furious last-minute application of polish across the board in preparation for
    > | the tagging of KDE 4.0 Final next week. Work towards threading GDB operations
    > | support in KDevelop.
    > `----
    >
    > http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/
    >
    > KDE 4.0 RC2 much better, but still not perfect
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | KDE 4.0 is getting better and I hope KDE team will release a stable product
    > | on time. My best wishes to the KDE team.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2008...uch-better-but...
    >
    > Aaron Seigo talks about the imminent release of KDE 4.0
    >
    > http://www.tllts.org/audio/tllts_226-01-02-08.mp3
    >
    > Yesterday:
    >
    > 10 Things I Love about KDE 4 RC2+
    >
    > ,----[ Summary of points ]
    > | 10. Oxygen Icons
    > |
    > | 9. Look and Feel
    > |
    > | 8. Konqueror improvements
    > |
    > | 7. Koffice2 is amazing
    > |
    > | 6. Doing away with the desktop-is-file-manager idea
    > |
    > | 5. Kickoff
    > |
    > | 4. Composite effects
    > |
    > | 3. Gwenview
    > |
    > | 2. Consistency
    > |
    > | 1. Guts, courage and balls
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxtechdaily.com/2008/0...out-kde-4-rc2/
    >
    > Related:
    >
    > Kubuntu 8.04 Featuring KDE 4
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Yes, you heard that right! Kubuntu 8.04, the Hardy Heron, will provide you
    > | the option of using either KDE 3.5 or KDE 4. Jonathan Riddell just posted the
    > | news in an email to the Kubuntu Developer's mailing list...
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.nixternal.com/2007.12.20...aturing-kde-4/
    >
    > KDE 4 Preview
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | KDE 4 looks very promising. It looks good, works good and I predict reception
    > | will be good.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.masuran.org/2007/12/17/kde-4-preview/
    >
    > Introducing KDE 4
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | As most of you already know, it's the new KDE 4 default file manager. The KDE
    > | 3.x version introduce a new way for file management on KDE, You're probably
    > | asking yourself: New? In which way? Let me answer that, it introduced for the
    > | first time in KDE world a simple KDE file manager, easy to follow and use,
    > | because I believe users will agree that Konqueror (and don't even make me
    > | talk about Krusader) isn't the user friendliness application out there.
    > `----
    >
    > http://introducingkde4.blogspot.com/...2/dolphin.html

    I personally like Dolphin, finally a real file manager. I know there
    are those who like the does everything Konqueror, but I find it just
    too busy and cluttered. So I use Firefox as a simple browser only
    option. The new look is plain and simple, yet without any sacrifice
    of functionality. Gnome got the first part right, they just didn't
    get the second part right.

  3. Re: Cleanup Work Towards KDE 4.0 Completition, Interview with a Lead Developer

    ____/ tommclernon@shaw.ca on Saturday 05 January 2008 04:25 : \____

    >> Introducing KDE 4
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | As most of you already know, it's the new KDE 4 default file manager. The
    >> | KDE 3.x version introduce a new way for file management on KDE, You're
    >> | probably asking yourself: New? In which way? Let me answer that, it
    >> | introduced for the first time in KDE world a simple KDE file manager, easy
    >> | to follow and use, because I believe users will agree that Konqueror (and
    >> | don't even make me talk about Krusader) isn't the user friendliness
    >> | application out there.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://introducingkde4.blogspot.com/...2/dolphin.html

    > I personally like Dolphin, finally a real file manager. ¬*I know there
    > are those who like the does everything Konqueror, but I find it just
    > too busy and cluttered. ¬*So I use Firefox as a simple browser only
    > option. ¬* The new look is plain and simple, yet without any sacrifice
    > of functionality. ¬*Gnome got the first part right, they just didn't
    > get the second part right.

    I agree. Konqueror is complex, but it is still available for those who love
    it. Dolphin does not replace Konqueror, but it makes a nice addition that
    replaces Konqueror _only_ as the default file managers for less advanced users
    or users to whom file managers are not important. Personally, I use the file
    manager only a couple of time a week (I kid you not) because all my data is
    online (or on the desktop workspace). As time goes by, the local file system
    might become less relevant because of the Web.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source
    Tasks: 145 total, 1 running, 144 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie