Re: [News] OLPC Success Stories, Trailblazing? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] OLPC Success Stories, Trailblazing? - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > OLPG, or One Laptop Per Grown-up > > ,----[ Quote ] >| I'd call it a One Laptop Per (for) Grown-ups. I believe that such laptop >| would be appealing to a lot of people who ...

  1. Re: [News] OLPC Success Stories, Trailblazing?

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > OLPG, or One Laptop Per Grown-up
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| I'd call it a One Laptop Per (for) Grown-ups. I believe that such laptop
    >| would be appealing to a lot of people who need a simple computing device
    >| (journalists for example, or writers, or business people who need simple
    >| computer on the road to check their email, check web sites and write
    >| documents). It would be great for bloggers (say, something similar to Asus
    >| eeePC 701 but with bigger screen and better keyboard). I believe that all
    >| this possible, and even more so after the CTO of the project just resigned to
    >| start a commercial entity based on technology created for OLPC.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.thetechandcents.com/2008/...-grown-up.html

    There is an enormous "suppressed" market here, just waiting for
    affordable technology.

  2. Re: [News] OLPC Success Stories, Trailblazing?

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 03 January 2008 15:23 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> OLPG, or One Laptop Per Grown-up
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thetechandcents.com/2008/...-grown-up.html

    >> There is an enormous "suppressed" market here, just waiting for
    >> affordable technology.

    > There's also an industry that dreads the idea of cheap computers where hardware
    > and softare have minimal requirement. Just watch how Intel and
    > Microsoft 'raped' OLPC like manmen and how they grouped together like a pack
    > of hyenas.

    They'll keep trying, but it's like trying to hold back the tide. Funny
    thing is that if Intel can keep up production and lower their chip
    costs, perhaps producing a nice new generation of ultra-low-power
    processors they can turn out in really big numbers, they could benefit
    very well indeed from this particular revolution. The losers will be
    Microsoft.

  3. Re: [News] OLPC Success Stories, Trailblazing?

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 03 January 2008 19:11 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 03 January 2008 15:23 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    http://www.thetechandcents.com/2008/...-grown-up.html

    >>> There is an enormous "suppressed" market here, just waiting for
    >>> affordable technology.

    >> There's also an industry that dreads the idea of cheap computers where
    >> hardware and softare have minimal requirement. Just watch how Intel and
    >> Microsoft 'raped' OLPC like manmen and how they grouped together like a pack

    ^^^
    mad

    >> of hyenas.
    >>

    > They'll keep trying, but it's like trying to hold back the tide. Funny
    > thing is that if Intel can keep up production and lower their chip
    > costs, perhaps producing a nice new generation of ultra-low-power
    > processors they can turn out in really big numbers, they could benefit
    > very well indeed from this particular revolution. The losers will be
    > Microsoft.

    Yes, software costs are unwanted because hardware is affordable. Intel has got
    some who are passionate about free software and Linux, but it has some really
    strong poison inside and people so greedy that they wouldn't mind destroying
    the lives of children for cash. I don't want to generalise (heck, my
    brother-in-law works at Intel), but Intel as a whole deserves some serious
    toppling for the abuse that keeps it floating and growing. Successful crime is
    not success.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Charity: compensating for a broken system rather than actually fixing it
    03:20:04 up 24 days, 16:08, 4 users, load average: 0.88, 0.75, 1.14

  4. Re: [News] OLPC Success Stories, Trailblazing?

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> OLPG, or One Laptop Per Grown-up
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| I'd call it a One Laptop Per (for) Grown-ups. I believe that such laptop
    >>| would be appealing to a lot of people who need a simple computing device
    >>| (journalists for example, or writers, or business people who need simple
    >>| computer on the road to check their email, check web sites and write
    >>| documents). It would be great for bloggers (say, something similar to
    >>Asus
    >>| eeePC 701 but with bigger screen and better keyboard). I believe that
    >>all
    >>| this possible, and even more so after the CTO of the project just
    >>resigned to
    >>| start a commercial entity based on technology created for OLPC.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.thetechandcents.com/2008/...-grown-up.html

    > There is an enormous "suppressed" market here, just waiting for
    > affordable technology.

    Keep slurping. One day Roy Schestowitz will earn enough pennies from his
    masters to afford his own internet access. Until then keep slurping so that
    he can continue to get paid.

  5. Re: [News] OLPC Success Stories, Trailblazing?

    * Abdul Catrell fired off this tart reply:

    > Keep slurping.
    > --

    No thanks, Dusty. Hasta la vista (I'd say about two days from now).

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  6. Re: [News] OLPC Success Stories, Trailblazing?

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 04 January 2008 19:54 : \____

    > * Abdul Catrell fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Keep slurping.
    >> --

    > No thanks, Dusty. Hasta la vista (I'd say about two days from now).

    He's still posting under that silly nym? Based on the above, it's some form of
    homophobic tripe. Says a lot about Scotty Douglas...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    In an Open world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates? -- ??
    Tasks: 127 total, 1 running, 126 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie