Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman - Linux ; On 2008-01-03, rjack wrote: > Ignoramus5311 wrote: >> he is my hero from late childhood >> >> what OS is he using? >> >> thanks >> >> i > > OpenBSD of course. Theo de Raadt is Stallman's hero. > ...

  1. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    On 2008-01-03, rjack wrote:
    > Ignoramus5311 wrote:
    >> he is my hero from late childhood
    >>
    >> what OS is he using?
    >>
    >> thanks

    > OpenBSD of course. Theo de Raadt is Stallman's hero.
    >
    > Stallman could never get an F.S.F. operating system to work properly. He
    > tried to steal the Linux name as GNU/Linux but he never succeeded.

    Linux is simply a shorter, easier version of saying GNU/Linux.

    Similar to "US" being a shorter version of "USA".

    Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
    programs. Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
    run under many kernels and operating systems, such as Linux, BSD, Sun,
    MS Windows, and so on and so forth.

  2. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    [FollowUp-To: set to gnu.emacs.help]

    Ignoramus5311 wrote:
    > Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
    > programs. Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)

    you should read up on what GNU actually means. X, Gnome and KDE are not GNU
    software.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  3. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    On 2008-01-03, Joost Kremers wrote:
    > [FollowUp-To: set to gnu.emacs.help]
    >
    > Ignoramus5311 wrote:
    >> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
    >> programs. Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)

    > you should read up on what GNU actually means. X, Gnome and
    > KDE are not GNU software.

    Nah, if he started reading up on stuff he'd have to change his
    username.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! I would like to
    at urinate in an OVULAR,

  4. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    ____/ Grant Edwards on Thursday 03 January 2008 15:04 : \____

    > On 2008-01-03, Joost Kremers wrote:
    >> [FollowUp-To: set to gnu.emacs.help]
    >>
    >> Ignoramus5311 wrote:
    >>> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
    >>> programs. Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)

    >> you should read up on what GNU actually means. X, Gnome and
    >> KDE are not GNU software.

    > Nah, if he started reading up on stuff he'd have to change his
    > username.

    He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a sense. I
    interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using Utoto.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz
    15:20:02 up 24 days, 4:08, 4 users, load average: 0.99, 2.04, 2.29

  5. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    On 2008-01-03, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a sense. I
    > interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using Utoto.

    Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!

  6. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    * Ignoramus5311 fired off this tart reply:

    > On 2008-01-03, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a sense. I
    >> interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using Utoto.

    > Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!

    Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  7. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    ____/ Linonut on Thursday 03 January 2008 18:40 : \____

    > * Ignoramus5311 fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On 2008-01-03, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a
    >>> sense. I interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using
    >>> Utoto.

    >> Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!

    > Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.

    Yeah, I wasn't sure when I typed this. I was going to do a quick Web search to
    confirm, but I didn't (I rarely do).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz
    Swap: 1510068k total, 342936k used, 1167132k free, 78528k cached

  8. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:40:20 UTC, Linonut
    wrote:

    -> * Ignoramus5311 fired off this tart reply:
    ->
    -> > On 2008-01-03, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    -> >> He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a sense. I
    -> >> interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using Utoto.
    -> >
    -> > Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!
    ->
    -> Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.
    ->

    I can just see the Wicked Witch of the West (perhaps balmer in drag)
    saying ""I'll get you, my pretty,and your little dog utoto too." :-)

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  9. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    * Mark Dodel fired off this tart reply:

    > On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:40:20 UTC, Linonut
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.
    >
    > I can just see the Wicked Witch of the West (perhaps balmer in drag)
    > saying ""I'll get you, my pretty,and your little dog utoto too." :-)

    You may find this site amusing:

    http://fakesteveballmer.blogspot.com/

    My wife nagged me about the way I walk about the mansion most of the
    night, "Go to see a psychologist, you are just too worried about all
    this Mac and Linux stuff".

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  10. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 04 January 2008 13:09 : \____

    > * Mark Dodel fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:40:20 UTC, Linonut
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> -> Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.
    >>
    >> I can just see the Wicked Witch of the West (perhaps balmer in drag)
    >> saying ""I'll get you, my pretty,and your little dog utoto too." :-)

    > You may find this site amusing:
    >
    > http:// fakesteveballmer. blogspot.com/
    >
    > My wife nagged me about the way I walk about the mansion most of the
    > night, "Go to see a psychologist, you are just too worried about all
    > this Mac and Linux stuff".

    Oh, no. Don't feed that thing. He goes around blogs (mine included) and spams
    them with links to his blog, along with sarcastic remark and weird humour.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
    14:00:02 up 25 days, 2:48, 4 users, load average: 0.71, 1.56, 1.62

  11. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    >> You may find this site amusing:
    >>
    >> http:// fakesteveballmer. blogspot.com/

    > Oh, no. Don't feed that thing. He goes around blogs (mine included) and spams
    > them with links to his blog, along with sarcastic remark and weird humour.

    Cool!

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  12. Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

    In article <1360854.JpYrYixpef@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Linonut on Thursday 03 January 2008 18:40 : \____
    >
    > > * Ignoramus5311 fired off this tart reply:

    > >> Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!

    > > Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.

    > Yeah, I wasn't sure when I typed this. I was going to do a quick Web search to
    > confirm, but I didn't (I rarely do).

    The readers of these four groups aren't worthy of 10 seconds of your
    time to check it before posting?

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread