working on Microsoft time .. - Linux

This is a discussion on working on Microsoft time .. - Linux ; 01. login .. 02. To check email click on Outlook 03. While waiting for the screen to appear click msWord to write something. 04. while waiting for the screen to appear click on Internet Explorer and go back to 02. ...

  1. working on Microsoft time ..

    01. login ..

    02. To check email click on Outlook

    03. While waiting for the screen to appear click msWord to write
    something.

    04. while waiting for the screen to appear click on Internet Explorer
    and go back to 02.

    05. Outlook still not up, will try and see if screen 03 is up, only I
    forgot why I wanted it.

    06. While typing text press backspace and continue writing, nothing
    happens so go and see if 04 is up.

    07. Back to msWord, now the new text you just entered, has been erased
    and the old text is still there. Type something and then back to 03,
    remembering to return 20 seconds into the future, by which time the
    screen might have updated ..

    08. Check email and see a reference that I need to lookup, GOTO 04,
    twenty seconds later the screen pops up, now why do I need this
    particular piece of information again, I forget, must remember to take
    notes.

    09. What should take five minutes, stretches twenty minutes into the
    future. Like, check your email, look something up, write something and
    email it back to them.

    If you want to recreate this people-ready-experience then have a
    college turn the moniitor off and on for a random period of from two
    to twenty seconds at a time ..

    While I can manage to do more then one thing at a time, appariently
    the computer still hasn't managed to figure out how.

  2. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > 01. login ..
    >
    > 02. To check email click on Outlook
    >
    > 03. While waiting for the screen to appear click msWord to write
    > something.
    >
    > 04. while waiting for the screen to appear click on Internet Explorer
    > and go back to 02.

    5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.11)

    So don't use it. Simple. It's all about choice but you obviously made the
    choice to use Windows. So either use something else or quit whining like a
    little bitch.

    > 05. Outlook still not up, will try and see if screen 03 is up, only I
    > forgot why I wanted it.

    Seems your short-term memory isn't what it used to be. Did it ever occur to
    you that you're a retard?

  3. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    ____/ Doug Mentohl on Wednesday 02 January 2008 18:36 : \____

    > 01. login ..
    >
    > 02. To check email click on Outlook
    >
    > 03. While waiting for the screen to appear click msWord to write
    > something.
    >
    > 04. while waiting for the screen to appear click on Internet Explorer
    > and go back to 02.
    >
    > 05. Outlook still not up, will try and see if screen 03 is up, only I
    > forgot why I wanted it.
    >
    > 06. While typing text press backspace and continue writing, nothing
    > happens so go and see if 04 is up.
    >
    > 07. Back to msWord, now the new text you just entered, has been erased
    > and the old text is still there. Type something and then back to 03,
    > remembering to return 20 seconds into the future, by which time the
    > screen might have updated ..
    >
    > 08. Check email and see a reference that I need to lookup, GOTO 04,
    > twenty seconds later the screen pops up, now why do I need this
    > particular piece of information again, I forget, must remember to take
    > notes.
    >
    > 09. What should take five minutes, stretches twenty minutes into the
    > future. Like, check your email, look something up, write something and
    > email it back to them.
    >
    > If you want to recreate this people-ready-experience then have a
    > college turn the moniitor off and on for a random period of from two
    > to twenty seconds at a time ..
    >
    > While I can manage to do more then one thing at a time, appariently
    > the computer still hasn't managed to figure out how.

    Windows can be customised heavily to accommodate better workflow, but it
    certainly does not encourage this. This also relies on third-party developers
    and lots of code that makes the system less predictable and more laborious to
    set up.

    Several years ago (at work), there was a Windows XP machine I sometimes had to
    type some logs into. The UI requires some time getting used to (it's a PITA),
    but there are some workarounds. Also, if all you do on the PC is a single task
    (or browse with a single (!!) tab), then it's acceptable. Windows is suitable
    for children and for people who were only recently introduced to mousing. For
    anybody else, it's the equivalent of bicycles with two supporting wheels on
    each side and no gear.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
    run-level 2 2007-12-10 11:12 last=

  4. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > Several years ago (at work), there was a Windows XP machine I sometimes had to
    > type some logs into. The UI requires some time getting used to (it's a PITA),
    > but there are some workarounds. Also, if all you do on the PC is a single task
    > (or browse with a single (!!) tab), then it's acceptable. Windows is suitable
    > for children and for people who were only recently introduced to mousing. For
    > anybody else, it's the equivalent of bicycles with two supporting wheels on
    > each side and no gear.

    Nonsense. You can tailor Windows quite a bit (as you note, it can take
    some effort and risk of instability). Certainly not as tailorable
    out-of-the-box as any Linux distro, of course. Like you, I greatly
    prefer Linux.

    BUT: I was looking at this fancy laptop that this lady uses to
    create schedules and things for her soccer arena. Nice laptop, about as
    powerful as this development laptop I'm using now.

    I realized that the thing was soooooo much more powerful than what she
    needed. She is not using 1/32nd of the power of that thing.

    But we gotta keep that upgrade cycle goin' don't'cha know! $100, $200,
    or even $400 is not enough of a price line, what with Windows' big-ass
    90% margins. Gotta keep the hardware high to hide the price of the OS.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

  5. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    Linonut wrote:

    > But we gotta keep that upgrade cycle goin' don't'cha know! $100,
    > $200, or even $400 is not enough of a price line, what with Windows'
    > big-ass 90% margins. Gotta keep the hardware high to hide the price
    > of the OS.

    huh? A Dell Vista Home Premium system is exactly $50 more than a Dell
    Ubuntu system.

    Over and over again, cola wacks get loosey-goosey with exaggerations when it
    comes to stating how much MS costs, but turn into Scrooge when it's time to
    actually buy hardware and software.

  6. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> But we gotta keep that upgrade cycle goin' don't'cha know! $100,
    >> $200, or even $400 is not enough of a price line, what with Windows'
    >> big-ass 90% margins. Gotta keep the hardware high to hide the price
    >> of the OS.

    > huh? A Dell Vista Home Premium system is exactly $50 more than a Dell
    > Ubuntu system.

    Don't try to claim that an OEM license for Win VHP is only $50.

    But even at $50, think about it: I can get this nice Linux laptop for
    $449, but it costs $499 with Win VHP.

    > Over and over again, cola wacks get loosey-goosey with exaggerations when it
    > comes to stating how much MS costs, but turn into Scrooge when it's time to
    > actually buy hardware and software.

    Poor DFS. Still living in de Nile.

    Besides, it looks like you've already ceded a bit of victory to Linux.
    Who would have though DFS would ever say something like this, after all
    the snide predictions of total DELL Linux failure:

    A Dell Vista Home Premium system is exactly $50 more than a Dell
    Ubuntu system.

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  7. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    On 2 Jan, 20:36, "Dusty Hendrix" wrote:

    > Seems your short-term memory isn't what it used to be ..

    Nothing wrong with my short term memory, appariently there is one with
    msWindows, in that it doesn't have one ..

    Filling in any kind of active form is an uncertain process, spend
    twenty minutes typing something in and lose it all when Windows
    decides to throw a brain fart. My solution is to type it into notepad
    as I go along and cut and paste it into the application, just like I'm
    doing now ..

  8. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    >> A Dell Vista Home Premium system is exactly $50 more than a Dell
    >> Ubuntu system.

    > Don't make me shut you down again, Linonot (too late: a Dell Ubuntu laptop
    > costs $100 MORE than a Dell Windows laptop http://www.dellideastorm.com/ 2nd
    > item)

    So you lied?

    --
    This sig has expired. Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
    and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to
    your account.

  9. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:43:25 -0500
    :
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> A Dell Vista Home Premium system is exactly $50 more than a Dell
    >>> Ubuntu system.

    >> Don't make me shut you down again, Linonot (too late: a Dell Ubuntu laptop
    >> costs $100 MORE than a Dell Windows laptop http://www.dellideastorm.com/ 2nd
    >> item)

    > So you lied?

    I hope DFS was reasonably careful here; DELL plays some weird games in
    this area during system configuration. One might end up with two
    systems that aren't exactly the same hardwarewise.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
    try our new color changing variant?

  10. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> A Dell Vista Home Premium system is exactly $50 more than a Dell
    >>> Ubuntu system.

    >> Don't make me shut you down again, Linonot (too late: a Dell Ubuntu
    >> laptop costs $100 MORE than a Dell Windows laptop
    >> http://www.dellideastorm.com/ 2nd item)

    > So you lied?

    Never.

    The Ubuntu desktops I looked at a while back cost $50 less than the Vista
    desktops.

    The Ubuntu laptops discussed in that link cost $100 more than the Windows
    laptops.

    Linux lusers lose either way.

  11. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    Linonut writes:

    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> But we gotta keep that upgrade cycle goin' don't'cha know! $100,
    >>> $200, or even $400 is not enough of a price line, what with Windows'
    >>> big-ass 90% margins. Gotta keep the hardware high to hide the price
    >>> of the OS.

    >> huh? A Dell Vista Home Premium system is exactly $50 more than a Dell
    >> Ubuntu system.

    > Don't try to claim that an OEM license for Win VHP is only $50.

    You really need to see a shrink. No where did he say that. What he said
    is blindingly obvious. You really are Liarnut. I am amazed you forgot to
    snip what he said to give you an apparently stronger stage on which to
    lie and insult.

  12. Re: working on Microsoft time ..

    >Quack puked:

    >>> I've never seen a Linux distro stoop to such a low as to offer that sort
    >>> of ****.

    >> No. Of course not. All that crap in the distro repositories "for free"
    >> is totally working and top of the heap eh?

    Theresi a difference, you know, between software that's available if
    you want to install it, and software that's installed at the factory
    with the intent that it gets in your face and requires work to get rid
    of if you don't want it.

    Do you never tire of proving what a useless piece of **** you are,
    Quack?

+ Reply to Thread