Re: How to run a program on multiple CPUs - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: How to run a program on multiple CPUs - Linux ; Let's try this from a different perspective... Is Linux able to assign a program to one or the other processor? Application A assigned to core 1 whereas application B is assigned to core 2? This can be done in "the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Re: How to run a program on multiple CPUs

  1. Re: How to run a program on multiple CPUs

    Let's try this from a different perspective... Is Linux able to assign a
    program to one or the other processor? Application A assigned to core 1
    whereas application B is assigned to core 2? This can be done in "the
    other os" (no disrespect to vestigial os/2 users intended).

  2. Re: How to run a program on multiple CPUs

    Racqueteer wrote:
    > Let's try this from a different perspective... Is Linux able to assign a
    > program to one or the other processor? Application A assigned to core 1
    > whereas application B is assigned to core 2? This can be done in "the
    > other os" (no disrespect to vestigial os/2 users intended).


    Well... The SMP kernel itself wil schedule a program to the CPU with the
    lowest load. That's probably behaviour that you want.

  3. Re: How to run a program on multiple CPUs

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:37:36 +0100, Jurgen Haan wrote:

    > Racqueteer wrote:
    >> Let's try this from a different perspective... Is Linux able to assign
    >> a program to one or the other processor? Application A assigned to
    >> core 1 whereas application B is assigned to core 2? This can be done
    >> in "the other os" (no disrespect to vestigial os/2 users intended).

    >
    > Well... The SMP kernel itself wil schedule a program to the CPU with the
    > lowest load. That's probably behaviour that you want.


    Can you manually dictate where the program will "go" for execution, or is
    this decision purely done behind the scenes? I suppose that really
    doesn't matter so long as the default behavior tends to equalize the load
    (s).

  4. Re: How to run a program on multiple CPUs

    Racqueteer wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:37:36 +0100, Jurgen Haan wrote:
    >
    >> Racqueteer wrote:
    >>> Let's try this from a different perspective... Is Linux able to assign
    >>> a program to one or the other processor? Application A assigned to
    >>> core 1 whereas application B is assigned to core 2? This can be done
    >>> in "the other os" (no disrespect to vestigial os/2 users intended).

    >>
    >> Well... The SMP kernel itself wil schedule a program to the CPU with the
    >> lowest load. That's probably behaviour that you want.

    >
    > Can you manually dictate where the program will "go" for execution, or is
    > this decision purely done behind the scenes? I suppose that really
    > doesn't matter so long as the default behavior tends to equalize the load
    > (s).


    It's built into the scheduler. You have no control.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: How to run a program on multiple CPUs

    Den Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:06:13 -0500. skrev Jerry McBride:

    > Racqueteer wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:37:36 +0100, Jurgen Haan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Racqueteer wrote:
    >>>> Let's try this from a different perspective... Is Linux able to assign
    >>>> a program to one or the other processor? Application A assigned to
    >>>> core 1 whereas application B is assigned to core 2? This can be done
    >>>> in "the other os" (no disrespect to vestigial os/2 users intended).
    >>>
    >>> Well... The SMP kernel itself wil schedule a program to the CPU with the
    >>> lowest load. That's probably behaviour that you want.

    >>
    >> Can you manually dictate where the program will "go" for execution, or is
    >> this decision purely done behind the scenes? I suppose that really
    >> doesn't matter so long as the default behavior tends to equalize the load
    >> (s).

    >
    > It's built into the scheduler. You have no control.


    Not correct. You can get all the control you want.
    man taskset should tell you all that you need, but for the
    topicstarters benefit, since he probably don't have a *nix machine
    running, here's a link to that man page online :

    http://linux.die.net/man/1/taskset

    Rgds.
    e-teori


  6. Re: How to run a program on multiple CPUs

    e-teori wrote:

    > Den Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:06:13 -0500. skrev Jerry McBride:
    >
    >> Racqueteer wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:37:36 +0100, Jurgen Haan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Racqueteer wrote:
    >>>>> Let's try this from a different perspective... Is Linux able to
    >>>>> assign
    >>>>> a program to one or the other processor? Application A assigned to
    >>>>> core 1 whereas application B is assigned to core 2? This can be done
    >>>>> in "the other os" (no disrespect to vestigial os/2 users intended).
    >>>>
    >>>> Well... The SMP kernel itself wil schedule a program to the CPU with
    >>>> the lowest load. That's probably behaviour that you want.
    >>>
    >>> Can you manually dictate where the program will "go" for execution, or
    >>> is
    >>> this decision purely done behind the scenes? I suppose that really
    >>> doesn't matter so long as the default behavior tends to equalize the
    >>> load (s).

    >>
    >> It's built into the scheduler. You have no control.

    >
    > Not correct. You can get all the control you want.
    > man taskset should tell you all that you need, but for the
    > topicstarters benefit, since he probably don't have a *nix machine
    > running, here's a link to that man page online :
    >
    > http://linux.die.net/man/1/taskset
    >
    > Rgds.
    > e-teori


    I'll be damned. It never fails... I learn something new everyday with Linux.



    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  7. usenet agent that has filtering capability

    Hello,

    I am working for some time with Usenet & mail agent Evolution 2.8.3.
    Under Fedora fc6, kernel 6.22.

    To me it is not possible to get the already limited filtering workin on
    usenet messages.

    I am looking for a Usenet agent that allows generous filtering on all
    header items.

    Thanks, Wim.


  8. Re: usenet agent that has filtering capability

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 01:36:38 +0100, wim van bemmel wrote:
    >
    > I am looking for a Usenet agent that allows generous filtering on all
    > header items.



    slrn

  9. Re: usenet agent that has filtering capability

    On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 02:16 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 01:36:38 +0100, wim van bemmel wrote:
    > >
    > > I am looking for a Usenet agent that allows generous filtering on all
    > > header items.

    >
    >
    > slrn


    Thanks, Wim.


+ Reply to Thread